Pedal removal

keithc440

Jun 22, 2002
Help. I am trying to remove my pedals off 105 cranks using a 15mm spanner but cannot shift them at all. How much force do I need to use. Tips greatly appreciated. I could go down to my LBS but since I want to put new pedals on I bought mail order I am to embarassed to do so.

Here's a little trick to remember which direction to turn the spanner when removing pedals:<br />With the spanner at the 12 o'clock position, turn it towards the rear tyre to loosen the pedal. This works for both the left and right pedal.<br /><br />The left pedal has a left-hand thread, and it's thread is opposite of the normal right-hand threads found everywhere else on the bike.<br /><br />I've found that a 15mm spanner is sometimes just too big, and can slip when you put pressure on it. I suggest you wrap a piece of cloth around your hand in case the spanner slips. You do need to apply a fair amount of pressure to loosen pedals.

Thanks for the advice. <br />I have now got the pedals off. <br />Used WD40 and then placed a long pipe over the end of a spanner with the pedal resting on an anvil. This gave me the required leverage. <br />New pedals now on, greased first of course

GOD DAMMIT!!! I have exactly the same problem. I tryed putting a 2metre pipe over the wrench and it still didn't budge! And i cant take it to the bike shop cause its holidays and there not open.... what else can i do????

Bluey_27 said:
GOD DAMMIT!!! I have exactly the same problem. I tryed putting a 2metre pipe over the wrench and it still didn't budge! And i cant take it to the bike shop cause its holidays and there not open.... what else can i do????

2 meters should be plenty of leverage, try sneaking up on it instead of just using brute force, in other words tap the end of the wrench, apply the force in burst or what have you