Pedal shopping

Mister Nick

Apr 28, 2005
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to cycling and I am looking at getting a decent set of pedals, shoes, clips, etc. to replace the crappy toe straps that I have now.

I've got a stock Specialized Allez (which I love!) that I ride mostly on trails and city streets. I don't need anything that is really high end or difficult to enter/exit. I would also like it if I could have the ability to walk around with my shoes on.

Anyone have some pointers, tips, recomendations for me? I sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

There must be 20 different threads on this forum about any kind of pedals:
speedplay vs. Look, Shimano vs. Campy, X vs. Y, just search a bit and you'll find your information.

Mister Nick said:
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to cycling and I am looking at getting a decent set of pedals, shoes, clips, etc. to replace the crappy toe straps that I have now.

I've got a stock Specialized Allez (which I love!) that I ride mostly on trails and city streets. I don't need anything that is really high end or difficult to enter/exit. I would also like it if I could have the ability to walk around with my shoes on.

Anyone have some pointers, tips, recomendations for me? I sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

Go Speedplay Zero Stainless! AWESOME Pedal!

Tailwinds,
Vector7

For inexpensive, easy to get out and easy to walk in, SPD's are a good choice. Generally the peddles can be had for under $50 for a really decent pair. I even have a pair for my MTB which are standard peddles with the clip in the middle. They are handy if I lend my bike to someone or can't be bothered with getting all geared up.

They certainly are not as fancy as Time, LOOK, Speedplay etc... but they do the work for me.

TKOS said:
For inexpensive, easy to get out and easy to walk in, SPD's are a good choice. Generally the peddles can be had for under $50 for a really decent pair. I even have a pair for my MTB which are standard peddles with the clip in the middle. They are handy if I lend my bike to someone or can't be bothered with getting all geared up.

They certainly are not as fancy as Time, LOOK, Speedplay etc... but they do the work for me.
I'd recommend the speedplay x/5. They have 25 degress of knee saving float, and are relatively cheap at around $100. The more expensive speedplay's like the x/1 and x/2 are only slightly lighter, have only 3 degrees more float, but more than twice as much as the x/5. I have them, and find them incredibly easy to get in and out of.