Pedal snapped

DeF

Guest
I was really enjoying my ride into work this
morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
90km yesterday. I went under Canning Bridge
and stood up to get up the small rise that
follows and, bang, my left pedal snapped
tumbling me onto the ground. Hurties. Not
too bad, some skin of elbow and both knees
(how did that happen?) and bruises on hip and
shoulder. Bike OK but scuffed the saddle and
bar tape on one side.

Never had that happen before. The pedals are
Look CX 6 (adjustable float and "Q"-factor).
In truth, I've never been 100% happy with them
and now the left one is rooted.

Hard to tell exactly what happened but it appears
there was an existing small crack in the spindle.
Looking at the x-section there is a dark region
near the edge. These pedals have taken a bit of
punishment before now which my have contributed to
the failure.

I'm glad it happened whilst I was going slow.
I could have happened yesterday morning as I was
sprinting at 50kph+ towards the end of the Great
Perth Bike Ride. <shudder>

Might take me a while to get confidence in pedalling
hard again. Don't know what I can learn from this
off except maybe replace pedals if they're involved
in a big bang.

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

DeF wrote:

> I was really enjoying my ride into work this
> morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
> 90km yesterday.

It was a really great ride along Reid Highway this morning, too. With a
gentle south-westerly, I hit over 50 km/hr at one stage without much
effort. So much better than the usual morning easterly.

Sorry to hear about the nasty result from the pedal breaking. Thanks for
letting us know about it, though. It's good to be warned about how these
things can happen out of-the-blue.

If you have time, it would be interesting to hear about the Great Perth Bike
Ride. I was considering doing the 106 km but Sunday was my son's 13th
birthday.

Cheers,

Vince

DeF wrote:
> I was really enjoying my ride into work this
> morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
> 90km yesterday. I went under Canning Bridge
> and stood up to get up the small rise that
> follows and, bang, my left pedal snapped
> tumbling me onto the ground. Hurties. Not
> too bad, some skin of elbow and both knees
> (how did that happen?) and bruises on hip and
> shoulder. Bike OK but scuffed the saddle and
> bar tape on one side.

just a thought.. which side was the old crack on?

May suggest the crack started during an in-corner pedal grounding or
not...

glad to hear you're ok.

DeF said:
[...]

Sorry to hear of the stack DeF, equipment failure always undermines your confidence as its not something you can always control. Ive had my fair share of handlebar and stem snaps to always have it in the back of my mind.

Was there a race associated with the GPBR? if so do you know who won it? It was a cracker race last year.

Vincent Patrick wrote:

> DeF wrote:
>

>>I was really enjoying my ride into work this
>>morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
>>90km yesterday.

> < SNIP
>
> If you have time, it would be interesting to hear about the Great Perth Bike
> Ride. I was considering doing the 106 km but Sunday was my son's 13th

^^^^
That was unlucky................... ||||
> birthday.

I didn't do the whole ride. I stayed at a friend's house the previous
night near the city as my spouse was doing the ride. I had organised
another ride (starting and finishing) near Pt Walter. I got to Canning
Bridge about 6:35am and shortly after, I saw the lead bunch from the
106km coming the other way (near Heathcote). They'd started at 5:45am.
I did my ride, had a coffee and muffin at Pt Walter then met up with
spouse as she passed Pt Walter to provide moral support for the ride
back to the city. There were heaps of riders, of all shapes, sizes
and abilities. I saw two accidents in the 20km I did of the ride.
Riding along the freeway was good although there was only one lane
blocked off and it wasn't really wide enough. I was riding two abreast
which barely gave room for faster riders to overtake. There was more
room on the normal roads. From what I saw it was a pretty well run
event with staggered starts and plenty of marshals. My only criticism
is that the iced water at the finish had run out when we got there but
there was plenty of shade and a good atmosphere. I might do it next
time and I'm definitely doing the freeway bike hike up the freeway
to Joondalup (March 18) - that was a hoot this year.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Duncan wrote:

> DeF wrote:
>
>>I was really enjoying my ride into work this
>>morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
>>90km yesterday. I went under Canning Bridge
>>and stood up to get up the small rise that
>>follows and, bang, my left pedal snapped
>>tumbling me onto the ground. Hurties. Not
>>too bad, some skin of elbow and both knees
>>(how did that happen?) and bruises on hip and
>>shoulder. Bike OK but scuffed the saddle and
>>bar tape on one side.

> just a thought.. which side was the old crack on?
>
> May suggest the crack started during an in-corner pedal grounding or
> not...
>
> glad to hear you're ok.

Yeah I had a look at that and it's not really clear. The
crack is on the underside when the pedal is a bit forward
of straight down. I don't remember grounding that side
but I do remember grounding the other. Odd. Have replaced
pedals - now I just have to get my confidence back....

DeF.

--

DeF wrote:
> I was really enjoying my ride into work this
> morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
> 90km yesterday. I went under Canning Bridge
> and stood up to get up the small rise that
> follows and, bang, my left pedal snapped
> tumbling me onto the ground. Hurties. Not
> too bad, some skin of elbow and both knees
> (how did that happen?) and bruises on hip and
> shoulder. Bike OK but scuffed the saddle and
> bar tape on one side.

Perth, you say? Knackered your bar tape in a crash, you say?

You and me both.

How would you like to pool a Probikekit order with me? There are only
a handful of things I need from there, I mainly just want bar tape.
Probikekit have a good range of bar tapes at good prices, but the
$18.99 charge for the parcel makes them uneconomical if bar tape is all
you want.

email me on travis at travismorien dot com...

Travis

Travis wrote:

> DeF wrote:
>
>>I was really enjoying my ride into work this
>>morning. Nice tailwind, feeling good after the
>>90km yesterday. I went under Canning Bridge
>>and stood up to get up the small rise that
>>follows and, bang, my left pedal snapped
>>tumbling me onto the ground. Hurties. Not
>>too bad, some skin of elbow and both knees
>>(how did that happen?) and bruises on hip and
>>shoulder. Bike OK but scuffed the saddle and
>>bar tape on one side.

> Perth, you say? Knackered your bar tape in a crash, you say?
>
> You and me both.
>
> How would you like to pool a Probikekit order with me? There are only
> a handful of things I need from there, I mainly just want bar tape.
> Probikekit have a good range of bar tapes at good prices, but the
> $18.99 charge for the parcel makes them uneconomical if bar tape is all
> you want.
>
> email me on travis at travismorien dot com...
>
> Travis

Travis, thanks for the offer but I have plenty of spare tape
(about 5 lots, white, black, blue, yellow and I can't remember).
I've even got some spare pedals to replace the broken one!

Cheers,
DeF.