Pedal Spacing and Crank Arm Stripping

Ray Kinney

Guest
I have wide feet (not very long, just wide). About 4 months
ago, I bought a pair of Pearl Isumi road shoes that I
couldn't adjust enough to keep my new shoes from brushing
the cranks when adjusted for the proper foot angle. Other
shoes have gotten close, but these were a little too close.
About 2-3 months ago, I got a machinist friend of mine to
make some aluminum spacers at .10 (2.5mm) thick. I've been
using them since then without apparent problem.

My questions to everyone are: By reducing pedal engagement
by .10 inches in each pedal, What are my chances of stipping
out the crank arm threads from pedaling? Does anyone have
any horror stories about doing this?

Remember, I've got almost 3 months without problem and
whether I like the q-factor or not, I need the clearance.
Also, yes, I've pushed the cleats inside as far as I can and
still have my toes pointed properly.

By the way, the pedals and cleats are Looks. I know some
pedals have q-factor adjustments, but I'm not willing to pay
that much for pedals, if, free spacers do the same thing.

Thanks, Ray Kinney

Ray Kinney wrote:

> I have wide feet (not very long, just wide). About 4
> months ago, I bought a pair of Pearl Isumi road shoes that
> I couldn't adjust enough to keep my new shoes from
> brushing the cranks when adjusted for the proper foot
> angle. Other shoes have gotten close, but these were a
> little too close. About 2-3 months ago, I got a machinist
> friend of mine to make some aluminum spacers at .10
> (2.5mm) thick. I've been using them since then without
> apparent problem.
>
> My questions to everyone are: By reducing pedal engagement
> by .10 inches in each pedal, What are my chances of
> stipping out the crank arm threads from pedaling? Does
> anyone have any horror stories about doing this?
>
> Remember, I've got almost 3 months without problem and
> whether I like the q-factor or not, I need the clearance.
> Also, yes, I've pushed the cleats inside as far as I can
> and still have my toes pointed properly.
>
> By the way, the pedals and cleats are Looks. I know
> some pedals have q-factor adjustments, but I'm not
> willing to pay that much for pedals, if, free spacers
> do the same thing.

I wouldn't think 2.5mm will cause a problem but I'd be wary
of anything thicker. A lot of people use thin washers just
to prevent the pedal spindle chewing into the crank.

On 7 Mar 2004 12:31:40 -0800, [email protected] (Ray Kinney) wrote:

>My questions to everyone are: By reducing pedal engagement
>by .10 inches in each pedal, What are my chances of
>stipping out the crank arm threads from pedaling? Does
>anyone have any horror stories about doing this?

I've ridden with 3 mm washers for years and use Shimano
pedals. Zero problems.

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 7 Mar 2004 12:31:40 -0800, [email protected] (Ray
> Kinney) wrote:
>
> >My questions to everyone are: By reducing pedal
> >engagement by .10 inches in each pedal, What are my
> >chances of stipping out the crank arm threads from
> >pedaling? Does anyone have any horror stories about
> >doing this?
>
> I've ridden with 3 mm washers for years and use Shimano
> pedals. Zero problems.

Thanks,

Ray