Pedal stroke is wonky

drtyhbo

Feb 8, 2011
I've been riding on and off for a few years, and an area where I have struggled in is that my knees shift slightly when I pedal. Both my left and right knees (right more than left) move horizontally as I am pedaling and I cannot figure out how to correct it! Does anyone have any exercises or strategies to overcome this issue? Thank you.

FWIW. This may sound too simplistic, but if you don't have a known, underlying orthopedic situation, then it could simply be a matter of your saddle being too low ...

• What is the distance between the center of the BB and the top of the saddle when measured along the seat tube?
  • What is your inseam length OR how tall are you?
  • What is the length of the crank arms?
  • What type of bike are you ridng -- Road, MTB, Hybrid, Cruiser, etc.?
  • What type of pedals are you using?

Originally Posted by drtyhbo .

I've been riding on and off for a few years, and an area where I have struggled in is that my knees shift slightly when I pedal. Both my left and right knees (right more than left) move horizontally as I am pedaling and I cannot figure out how to correct it! Does anyone have any exercises or strategies to overcome this issue? Thank you.
if they move sligthly, just leave it, concentrate on having a round pedal stroke instead. if it helps, an abdominal belly could be the cause,

What pedals do you have?

My knees did the same thing when I had Speedplays. Most of the horizontal movement disapeared with a switch to SPD-SLs.

Originally Posted by vspa .

if they move sligthly, just leave it, concentrate on having a round pedal stroke instead. if it helps, an abdominal belly could be the cause,
I had that problem too - I found that an "abdominal belly" was the cause and moved by belly from the abdomen to my big toe. The wonky knee is fine but I'm having issues making my right shoe fit properly.

;)