Pedal stuck on

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by News.Freeserve., Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Have bought a piar of Shimano SPD pedals but cant get the old left one of. I know it is reverse
    thread ( i am sure i am tugging the right way because I can see the tread on the new pedal and on
    the crank from the inside).

    I have tried absolutly everything and now the hexagonal shape of the nut is gettiong rounded from
    where the spanners etc keep slipping.

    Are they always this difficult?. Anyone got any ideas?? my next plan is to take the step bit of the
    pedal off and weld something to the shaft to give me more leverage and grip. If that doesnt work it
    looks like a new crank.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have bought a piar of Shimano SPD pedals but cant get the old left one of. I know it is reverse
    > thread ( i am sure i am tugging the right way because
    > can see the tread on the new pedal and on the crank from the inside).
    >
    > I have tried absolutly everything and now the hexagonal shape of the nut
    is
    > gettiong rounded from where the spanners etc keep slipping.
    >
    > Are they always this difficult?. Anyone got any ideas?? my next plan is
    > take the step bit of the pedal off and weld something to the shaft to give me more leverage and
    > grip. If that doesnt work it looks like a new crank.
    >
    > Mike

    Apart from applying release oil I'd try taking the crank arm off the bottom bracket as well as
    removing the pedal platform, stick the pedal axle in a vice and then turn the crank arm off the
    pedal axle. Just to be sure of the direction to turn it, put a regular nut and bolt in the same
    orientation and tun the crank in the opposite direction the nut needs to go. (I know what I mean).
    You could also apply some heat as aluminium expands more than steel.

    Good luck, as when I had this trouble and applied irrisistable force, it just pulled the thread out
    of the crank - so I hope you fare better.

    Cheers

    Graham

  3. I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank of next .. do i need some
    sort of pulley to get the crank out?? "Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Have bought a piar of Shimano SPD pedals but cant get the old left one
    of.
    > > I know it is reverse thread ( i am sure i am tugging the right way
    because
    > > can see the tread on the new pedal and on the crank from the inside).
    > >
    > > I have tried absolutly everything and now the hexagonal shape of the nut
    > is
    > > gettiong rounded from where the spanners etc keep slipping.
    > >
    > > Are they always this difficult?. Anyone got any ideas?? my next plan is
    > > take the step bit of the pedal off and weld something to the shaft to
    give
    > > me more leverage and grip. If that doesnt work it looks like a new
    crank.

    > > Mike
    > >
    > Apart from applying release oil I'd try taking the crank arm off the
    bottom
    > bracket as well as removing the pedal platform, stick the pedal axle in a vice and then turn the
    > crank arm off the pedal axle. Just to be sure of
    the
    > direction to turn it, put a regular nut and bolt in the same orientation
    and
    > tun the crank in the opposite direction the nut needs to go. (I know what
    > mean). You could also apply some heat as aluminium expands more than
    steel.

    > Good luck, as when I had this trouble and applied irrisistable force, it just pulled the thread
    > out of the crank - so I hope you fare better.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Graham

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:01:31 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank of next .. do i need some
    >sort of pulley to get the crank out??

    Yes, you probably have a standard square taper type bottom bracket and crank so you'll need a
    crank puller.

    Dyasons will sell you one for £4.50 post free:

    http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

    or pick one up from any decent LBS.

    As Graham has already said, you may find that the pedal is stuck so fast that applying enough force
    to shift it will rip out the thread. Nothing to be done but try though *shrug*

    Bob

  5. Rg

    Rg Guest

    I had this problem recently and did the following - which worked eventually
    !

    1 Removed crank and soaked the pedal and threaded part in a small bucket of diesel which, in theory,
    will penetrate almost as well as WD40 or whatever - still stuck.

    2 Poured boiling water from a kettle over the threaded area while trying to undo with a spanner -
    using the variable expansion properties of ali and steel (needed an assistant with the kettle
    pouring) - still stuck

    3 Took the pedal to bits and clamped that in the vice and then using a (short!) length of scaffold
    tube slipped over the crank arm levered it like a very large spanner - success !

    Action 3 worked (although we did manage to drag the bench with the vice across the garage!) - of
    course the pedal was damaged beyond repair. Needless to say new pedals were fitted with a good wodge
    of copper grease on the threads.

    Good luck !

    RG

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:01:31 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank
    of
    > >next .. do i need some sort of pulley to get the crank out??
    >
    > Yes, you probably have a standard square taper type bottom bracket and crank so you'll need a
    > crank puller.
    >
    > Dyasons will sell you one for £4.50 post free:
    >
    > http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS
    >
    > or pick one up from any decent LBS.
    >
    > As Graham has already said, you may find that the pedal is stuck so fast that applying enough
    > force to shift it will rip out the thread. Nothing to be done but try though *shrug*
    >

    > Bob
    > --
    > Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

  6. Just thought of something else (while I was out on the bike this morning). If you have the
    facilities, you could (after removing the crank) drill the pedal axle out. In reality, you drill
    until there is the thinnest sleeve of steel left, and then collapse it. I have done that a few times
    on old motorbikes and cars. That would save the crank, but you'd probably have to get a LBS to run a
    tap through it - if a left hand thread pedal tap exists? Cheers Graham

  7. just about to get the welder out rounds freinds house when we found an old crank

    back in business now

    thanks all "Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just thought of something else (while I was out on the bike this morning). If you have the
    > facilities, you could (after removing the crank) drill the pedal axle out. In reality, you drill
    > until there is the thinnest sleeve of steel left,
    and
    > then collapse it. I have done that a few times on old motorbikes and cars. That would save the
    > crank, but you'd probably have to get a LBS to run a
    tap
    > through it - if a left hand thread pedal tap exists? Cheers Graham

  8. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Graham Bowers <[email protected]> wrote:
    > That would save the crank, but you'd probably have to get a LBS to run a tap through it - if a
    > left hand thread pedal tap exists?

    1/2" 9/16" or oversize with bushes - left and right hand threads - 4th drawer from the left
    and 3 down.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  9. When I had similar problems, I applied a product called "Plusgas", and left the bike lying down in
    such a way that the lubricant could run into the thread. The next day, it came off quite easily.

    --

    Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"