Pedal stuck on

News.Freeserve.

Guest
Have bought a piar of Shimano SPD pedals but cant get the old left one of. I know it is reverse
thread ( i am sure i am tugging the right way because I can see the tread on the new pedal and on
the crank from the inside).

I have tried absolutly everything and now the hexagonal shape of the nut is gettiong rounded from
where the spanners etc keep slipping.

Are they always this difficult?. Anyone got any ideas?? my next plan is to take the step bit of the
pedal off and weld something to the shaft to give me more leverage and grip. If that doesnt work it
looks like a new crank.

Mike

"news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have bought a piar of Shimano SPD pedals but cant get the old left one of. I know it is reverse
> thread ( i am sure i am tugging the right way because
> can see the tread on the new pedal and on the crank from the inside).
>
> I have tried absolutly everything and now the hexagonal shape of the nut
is
> gettiong rounded from where the spanners etc keep slipping.
>
> Are they always this difficult?. Anyone got any ideas?? my next plan is
> take the step bit of the pedal off and weld something to the shaft to give me more leverage and
> grip. If that doesnt work it looks like a new crank.
>
> Mike

Apart from applying release oil I'd try taking the crank arm off the bottom bracket as well as
removing the pedal platform, stick the pedal axle in a vice and then turn the crank arm off the
pedal axle. Just to be sure of the direction to turn it, put a regular nut and bolt in the same
orientation and tun the crank in the opposite direction the nut needs to go. (I know what I mean).
You could also apply some heat as aluminium expands more than steel.

Good luck, as when I had this trouble and applied irrisistable force, it just pulled the thread out
of the crank - so I hope you fare better.

Cheers

Graham

I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank of next .. do i need some
sort of pulley to get the crank out?? "Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:01:31 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank of next .. do i need some
>sort of pulley to get the crank out??

Yes, you probably have a standard square taper type bottom bracket and crank so you'll need a
crank puller.

Dyasons will sell you one for £4.50 post free:

http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS

or pick one up from any decent LBS.

As Graham has already said, you may find that the pedal is stuck so fast that applying enough force
to shift it will rip out the thread. Nothing to be done but try though *shrug*

Bob

I had this problem recently and did the following - which worked eventually
!

1 Removed crank and soaked the pedal and threaded part in a small bucket of diesel which, in theory,
will penetrate almost as well as WD40 or whatever - still stuck.

2 Poured boiling water from a kettle over the threaded area while trying to undo with a spanner -
using the variable expansion properties of ali and steel (needed an assistant with the kettle
pouring) - still stuck

3 Took the pedal to bits and clamped that in the vice and then using a (short!) length of scaffold
tube slipped over the crank arm levered it like a very large spanner - success !

Action 3 worked (although we did manage to drag the bench with the vice across the garage!) - of
course the pedal was damaged beyond repair. Needless to say new pedals were fitted with a good wodge
of copper grease on the threads.

Good luck !

RG

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:01:31 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I tried the heat .. still wouldnt budge .. i might try taking the crank
of
> >next .. do i need some sort of pulley to get the crank out??
>
> Yes, you probably have a standard square taper type bottom bracket and crank so you'll need a
> crank puller.
>
> Dyasons will sell you one for £4.50 post free:
>
> http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=23&text_company=TOOLS
>
> or pick one up from any decent LBS.
>
> As Graham has already said, you may find that the pedal is stuck so fast that applying enough
> force to shift it will rip out the thread. Nothing to be done but try though *shrug*
>

> Bob
> --
> Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

Just thought of something else (while I was out on the bike this morning). If you have the
facilities, you could (after removing the crank) drill the pedal axle out. In reality, you drill
until there is the thinnest sleeve of steel left, and then collapse it. I have done that a few times
on old motorbikes and cars. That would save the crank, but you'd probably have to get a LBS to run a
tap through it - if a left hand thread pedal tap exists? Cheers Graham

just about to get the welder out rounds freinds house when we found an old crank

back in business now

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Graham Bowers <[email protected]> wrote:
> That would save the crank, but you'd probably have to get a LBS to run a tap through it - if a
> left hand thread pedal tap exists?

1/2" 9/16" or oversize with bushes - left and right hand threads - 4th drawer from the left
and 3 down.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

When I had similar problems, I applied a product called "Plusgas", and left the bike lying down in
such a way that the lubricant could run into the thread. The next day, it came off quite easily.

--

Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"