Pedal systems: Look vs Time vs Campagnolo

AndráS

Guest
Hi,

I'm currently using Look 247 pedals. They are OK, but I'm considering changing to a
different system.

I'm now used to the fact that I have to replace the cleats about every 1500km. But what puzzles me
is why the cleats start to squeak and have play as they wear out (even when the holes are still
clearly visible).

Would I be better off with better Look pedals? Or are other systems simply better by design? How do
Time (Impact) and Campagnolo compare to Look? Do their cleats also squeak and move around in the
pedals as they age?

Also, I noticed some play in the Look pedals' bearings, can I expect Time or Campagnolo to
be better?

Thanks!

Andras

Take a look at speed play peddles. I'm not sure how many people will be buying shimano pedals after
Lance mishap. The cleat on your shoes is not made out of plastic.

András wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Look 247 pedals. They are OK, but I'm considering changing to a
> different system.
>
> I'm now used to the fact that I have to replace the cleats about every 1500km. But what puzzles me
> is why the cleats start to squeak and have play as they wear out (even when the holes are still
> clearly visible).
>
> Would I be better off with better Look pedals? Or are other systems simply better by design? How
> do Time (Impact) and Campagnolo compare to Look? Do their cleats also squeak and move around in
> the pedals as they age?
>
> Also, I noticed some play in the Look pedals' bearings, can I expect Time or Campagnolo to
> be better?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andras

Do the research yourself, ask lots of people, assess your needs realistically, cause the opinions on
pedals are pretty much just that - opinions. Look is great for easy engagement, and I used PP 247
for years, but eventually changed because I wanted fixed cleats without knee stress. I changed to
Keywin and have been a happy happy camper... lightweight, low stack height, large pedal area, and an
ingenious 'bush' lateral movement in the pedal axle itself which suits me MUCH better than float.
They're harder to engage than Look, but I've never unclipped unexpectedly, and that suits me fine.
Other riders, for example, want only a pedal system which allows them to walk a significant distance
in the shoes -for me that's not an issue.

--
Alex Wheaton

In article <[email protected]>, András
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm currently using Look 247 pedals. They are OK, but I'm considering changing to a
>different system.
>
>I'm now used to the fact that I have to replace the cleats about every 1500km. But what puzzles me
>is why the cleats start to squeak and have play as they wear out (even when the holes are still
>clearly visible).
>
>Would I be better off with better Look pedals? Or are other systems simply better by design? How do
>Time (Impact) and Campagnolo compare to Look? Do their cleats also squeak and move around in the
>pedals as they age?

If you like the basic Look type design, the new Shimano SPD-SL pedals are an improved version. Lower
stack height, lighter weight, easier to get in, and the cleats don't wear on the critical surfaces
(unless you walk on rocks).

They don't squeak either. I haven't pulled out of my Ultegra SPD-SL pedals even though they are set
on minimum tension, but then I never pulled out of the old original Looks or Shimano PD7401 Look
copies either.

My old PD7401s were still smooth after 20k miles. The Ultegra SPD-SLs aren't quite as smooth but are
still pretty good.

Eric

Drew Cutter wrote:
> Take a look at speed play peddles. I'm not sure how many people will be buying shimano pedals
> after Lance mishap.

He just slipped out. There wan't anything wrong with his pedals.

Drew Cutter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Take a look at speed play peddles. I'm not sure how many people will be buying shimano pedals
> after Lance mishap.

Which mishap? Do you mean the one where his chain slipped on the sprockets, after the crash?

-as

how about some eggbeaters

"András" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Look 247 pedals. They are OK, but I'm considering changing to a
> different system.
>
> I'm now used to the fact that I have to replace the cleats about every 1500km. But what puzzles me
> is why the cleats start to squeak and have play as they wear out (even when the holes are still
> clearly visible).
>
> Would I be better off with better Look pedals? Or are other systems simply better by design? How
> do Time (Impact) and Campagnolo compare to Look? Do their cleats also squeak and move around in
> the pedals as they age?
>
> Also, I noticed some play in the Look pedals' bearings, can I expect Time or Campagnolo to
> be better?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andras

> jshill-<< Take a look at speed play peddles. I'm not sure how many people
will
> be
> > buying shimano pedals after Lance mishap.
>

> He just slipped out. There wan't anything wrong with his pedals.
>><BR><BR>
>

> 'just slipped out'?? How..with nearly new stuff each ride, this is hard to believe.
>
> Trek published something saying his right stay was cracked, so power
shifted
> his rear der...but I doubt he 'just slipped out'...

Of course he "just slipped out" - everyone could see he was hammering hard shortly after the
apparent slip. So the slip was either chain slip or improper engagement. Man, you like to hammer
Shimano - could end up that no one takes your advice because of this extreme bias...

Peter - very true, your knowledge and advice are free, both of which are quite often worth a lot.
But it really does seem that your attitude towards Shimano is negatively biased, not based on thread
only, but on an extensive history of posts. I admit that Shimano has shortcomings, but so do all
brands (some more or fewer than others). It just seems that Campy users can often be equated with
art connoisseurs, they adore what they have, shoot down the rest, while not always realizing that
the "rest" supplies art to a wider audience, making our love of cycling more accessible to the
masses. And while they're at it, they also try to market higher end components, some parts which are
wonderful, others which could be improved, but overall, still the choice of some champions - perhaps
even legends after Sunday...

> jan-<< So the slip was either chain slip or improper engagement. Man, you like to hammer Shimano -
> could end up that
no
> one takes your advice because of this extreme bias... >><BR><BR>
>
> This has nothing to do with shimano...I would have said the same thing if
he
> were using Campagnolko or Time or LOOK pedals,.....how does one 'just slip
out'
> of a nearly new pedal...
>
> ahhh, the NG, where it is common to 'assume' things...
>
> OBTW-this 'advice' I give is a freebie, for me and you...nobody pays me anything for this, so
> whether or not somebody takes this 'free advice' is
up to

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jan van Aardt wrote:

> Peter - very true, your knowledge and advice are free, both of which are quite often worth a lot.
> But it really does seem that your attitude towards Shimano is negatively biased, not based on
> thread only, but on an extensive history of posts.

I disagree. Peter's never said a bad word about the *quality* of Shimano parts, and routinely
recommends them over equally workable Campy parts for some applications: my Campy Veloce-equipped
audax bike currently has an Ultegra rear wheel based on the strength of Peter's recommendation of
the same. Most people who dis Shimano here at least do so based on their history of design decisions
that seem to be based more on the principle of planned obsolescence than anything else. Given
Peter's nom de net and the Campy tattoo on his ankle, I think he's remarkably unbiased.

Trent

"Jan van Aardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Peter - very true, your knowledge and advice are free, both of which are quite often worth a lot.
> But it really does seem that your attitude
towards
> Shimano is negatively biased, not based on thread only, but on an
extensive
> history of posts. I admit that Shimano has shortcomings, but so do all brands (some more or fewer
> than others). It just seems that Campy users
can
> often be equated with art connoisseurs, they adore what they have, shoot down the rest, while not
> always realizing that the "rest" supplies art to
> wider audience, making our love of cycling more accessible to the masses.

This may all be true. But Shitmano still sucks :)

Lee

Yeah, but which ones squeak the least? I have Looks and I can't stand the sqeaky sound you get after a few weeks of new cleat usage. Yeah, yeah, I know all you gotta do is squirt some oil on the cleat, but that only works for a little while before the squeaking comes back. Do Time, Campy, Shimano squeak any less than the Look system?