Pedal thread on Vintage Campy record pista chainset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rory684, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Rory684

    Rory684 Guest

    Hi,

    I have recently won a vintage campy record pista chainset on
    ebay. The pedal threads are marked 9/16*20F, which look to
    me as if it has a fine thread. Is this non standard? I have
    tentatively tried to attach some SPD's and they are not
    going in smoothly. If the thread is not standard, what
    pedals/mods can i use?

    Cheers

    Rory

    Tags:

  2. A shy person wrote:

    > I have recently won a vintage campy record pista chainset
    > on ebay. The pedal threads are marked 9/16*20F, which look
    > to me as if it has a fine thread. Is this non standard? I
    > have tentatively tried to attach some SPD's and they are
    > not going in smoothly. If the thread is not standard, what
    > pedals/mods can i use?

    That's the standard pedal thread size, any modern pedals
    will fit. Sometimes older Campagnolo stuff was on the tight
    side as far as manufacturing tolerances. Make sure to grease
    the threads.

    Sheldon "ISO" Brown +-------------------------------------+
    | Natural laws have no pity. | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +-------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West
    Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
    Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. wilk-<< The pedal threads are marked 9/16*20F, which look to
    me as if it has a fine thread. Is this non standard? I have
    tentatively tried to attach some SPD's and they are not
    going in smoothly. If the thread is not standard, what
    pedals/mods can i use? >><BR><BR>

    Have a competent bike shop chase the threads of the cranks
    and the pedals will go in fine...

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > A shy person wrote:
    >
    >> I have recently won a vintage campy record pista chainset
    >> on ebay. The pedal threads are marked 9/16*20F, which
    >> look to me as if it has a fine thread. Is this non
    >> standard? I have tentatively tried to attach some SPD's
    >> and they are not going in smoothly. If the thread is not
    >> standard, what pedals/mods can i use?
    >

    > That's the standard pedal thread size, any modern pedals
    > will fit. Sometimes older Campagnolo stuff was on the
    > tight side as far as manufacturing tolerances. Make sure
    > to grease the threads.

    I'm just amazed someone stopped tightening something after
    it wouldn't go in easily. Am I really in r.b.tech? :)

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com