pedal threads stripped

jonathanf

Jul 25, 2007
I bought a bike from a friend and set it up myself. After an hour of riding I noticed my pedal was crooked. The threads are partially stripped on the outside. Do I have to buy a new crank now, or can this be fixed?

-Jonathan

I would buy a new crank. There are thread inserts that are fairly strong, but I don't think that they come in a left hand thread. Also, a pedal comming off while your really mashing it could really ruin your day-week-year-life.

Inserts such as helicoil are available and are supposed to be stronger than the original thread.

what sort of bike is it??? what brand are the cranks?? and just a silly question was the left in the left handside and the right in the right???

cruisin said:
Inserts such as helicoil are available and are supposed to be stronger than the original thread.
I have worked with Helicoils. Don't beleive everthing the Helicoil Salesman tells you. With a Helicoil, or most any thread insert, you are removing the stripped threads and tapping the new hole with a larger tap that will accomodate the OD threads of the insert. There is no way that two threaded surfaces are stronger than a single threaded surface. if it were true that helicoils were stronger than the original thread, wouldn't it make sense for the crank sets to come with them already installed?

kdelong said:
I have worked with Helicoils. Don't beleive everthing the Helicoil Salesman tells you. With a Helicoil, or most any thread insert, you are removing the stripped threads and tapping the new hole with a larger tap that will accomodate the OD threads of the insert. There is no way that two threaded surfaces are stronger than a single threaded surface. if it were true that helicoils were stronger than the original thread, wouldn't it make sense for the crank sets to come with them already installed?
It depends on how badly stripped the pedals are. In some situations, a quick clean up of the threads with a tap will suffice and all is back to normal. I've logged thousands of miles on a Campagnolo Crank that had this done.

good luck!

Could be the pedal was just very loose, and only the end is stripped. Some times you can clean the threads by simply screwing in the pedal on the other side of the crank. Snug it down, then remove, then carefully try to reinstall the pedal normally. And be sure you get it on tight this time.

strummer_fan said:
It depends on how badly stripped the pedals are. In some situations, a quick clean up of the threads with a tap will suffice and all is back to normal. I've logged thousands of miles on a Campagnolo Crank that had this done.

good luck!