Pedal Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archierob

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever = lifted a spanner - Tubby
Alexander of Cardiff.

Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.

Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.=20

They come OFF backwards

Well I've always found it easy to remember that.

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This tip was told to me by one of the best bike = mechanics that=20 ever
lifted a spanner - Tubby Alexander of Cardiff.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>Pedals - bit confusing when removing or = adding.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT size=3D2>Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards. = </FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT size=3D2>They come OFF backwards</FONT></DIV>
<DXI><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXII><FONT size=3D2>Well I've always found it easy to remember=20 that.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0--

In news:[email protected], archierob <[email protected]> typed:
> This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever lifted a spanner - Tubby
> Alexander of Cardiff.
>
> Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.
>
> Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.
>
> They come OFF backwards
>

Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below the pedal the reverse
applies ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

Tony Raven writes:

> Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
the
> pedal the reverse applies ;-)

Unless the bike is upside down...

:)

--

Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

wot if its upside down and your lookin from the front? "Scatterbunny"
<scatterbunnyrabbit*butnospam*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven writes:
>
> > Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
> the
> > pedal the reverse applies ;-)
>
> Unless the bike is upside down...
>
> :)
>
> --
>
> Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In news:[email protected], archierob <[email protected]> typed:
> > This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever lifted a spanner - Tubby
> > Alexander of Cardiff.
> >
> > Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.
> >
> > Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.
> >
> > They come OFF backwards
> >
>
> Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
the
> pedal the reverse applies ;-)

I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine
it being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
forwards? Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread?
If not, why not? Den

In news:[email protected], Dennis <[email protected]> typed:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below the pedal the reverse
>> applies ;-)
>
> I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine
> it being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
> forwards? Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread?
> If not, why not?

Fix the pedal and put the spanner on it. As the spanner rotates about the pedal axis the handle is
moving backwards over the top of the pedal and then down and forwards underneatth the pedal before
coming up and round to complete the circle. At various points in the circle the handle is moving
back, forward, up and down.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

"Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine it
> being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
forwards?
> Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread? If not,
> why not?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal

says it all.

(just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )

cheers, clive

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

OK, OK. lol

Forgot to say - Mars has to be in conjunction with Venus!

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>OK, OK. lol</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>Forgot to say - Mars has to be in conjunction with=20
Venus!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70--

On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:12:06 GMT, "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I always said I should've been a bricklayer.

Sounds dashed uncomfortable to me :-X

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

> (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )

Do they come out when you're cycling, or are they for a trick bike that has to be pedalled backwards
because of a twist in the chain?

"Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
>
> Do they come out when you're cycling, or are they for a trick bike that has to be pedalled
> backwards because of a twist in the chain?

Do them up tight. Not been a problem yet. (They're the front cranks on one of my tandems, and the
previous owner didn't get a proper tandem set. I suspect there may be some delibarate thread damage
to make the fit a bit tighter.).

cheers, clive

On Mon, 19 May 2003 07:17:53 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
Jones) wrote:

>> (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
>
>Do they come out when you're cycling

Unless the bearings have seized, pedals don't transmit torque, they transmit a force radial to the
spindle. You can get away with anything on pedals.

Andy Dingley wrote:

>>> (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
>>
>> Do they come out when you're cycling
>
> Unless the bearings have seized, pedals don't transmit torque, they transmit a force radial to the
> spindle. You can get away with anything on pedals.

Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

~PB

On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:03:03 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

Even Sheldon gets it wrong sometimes (although not so badly as Eric Laithwaite). There's no
precession if the axes are parallel.

Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?

On Mon, 19 May 2003 15:29:42 +0100, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Eric Laithwaite ... should be remembered as an enthusiastic, compelling engineer, scientist and
>teacher who inspired an interest in technology among many.

Seconded. I'm an electrical engineer by training and would be the first to admit that it can be less
than enthralling at times; Prof. Eric was always fizzing with enthusiasm. I remember his Royal
Society lectures with particular fondness, and especially the way he used to get Bill Coates, the
technician, in on the demos. Good lab technicians are the lifeblood of any lab and are vastly
underappreciated.

Hats off to Eric Laithwaite.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:41:04 +0100, Andy Dingley scrawled: ) OK, lets assume a miniscule precessive
force. But the nature of a ) tight threaded connection is non-Newtonian.

Good heavens. How fast are you moving, or how small is your vehicle?

J-P
--
"People aren't very bright, you know. They say they want freedom, but when they get the chance, they
pass up Nietzsche and choose ******, because he would march into a room to speak and music and
lights would come on at strategic moments. It was rather like a rock'n'roll concert."

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?

Used to get an odd one coming off when it was steel in steel - I haven't had any come loose with
steel in alloy. However LH cranks are a totally different problem - no matter how tight they are
done up:-(

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

[Cross-posted to rec.bicycles.tech to get some more response.......]

Andy Dingley wrote:

>> Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

> Even Sheldon gets it wrong sometimes (although not so badly as Eric Laithwaite). There's no
> precession if the axes are parallel.
>
> Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?
............. /snip
> Of course the pencil precesses. But that's using an "effect-based" meaning of precession, not a
> gyroscopic causality by precession's usual meaning.

>> And how do you apply force to the pedals? Nothing is parallel in the vicinity of the bottom
>> bracket when in use.

> OK, lets assume a miniscule precessive force. But the nature of a tight threaded connection is
> non-Newtonian. Applying a tiny force won't make it unscrew itself "very slowly", it just won't
> begin to move at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.