Pedal Tip

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Archierob, May 18, 2003.

  1. Archierob

    Archierob Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever = lifted a spanner - Tubby
    Alexander of Cardiff.

    Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.

    Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.=20

    They come OFF backwards

    Well I've always found it easy to remember that.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>This tip was told to me by one of the best bike = mechanics that=20 ever
    lifted a spanner - Tubby Alexander of Cardiff.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>Pedals - bit confusing when removing or = adding.</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT size=3D2>Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards. = </FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT size=3D2>They come OFF backwards</FONT></DIV>
    <DXI><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXII><FONT size=3D2>Well I've always found it easy to remember=20 that.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C31D3E.5924D5F0--

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], archierob <[email protected]> typed:
    > This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever lifted a spanner - Tubby
    > Alexander of Cardiff.
    >
    > Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.
    >
    > Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.
    >
    > They come OFF backwards

    Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below the pedal the reverse
    applies ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. Scatterbunny

    Scatterbunny Guest

    Tony Raven writes:

    > Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
    the
    > pedal the reverse applies ;-)

    Unless the bike is upside down...

    :)

    --

    Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

  4. Mike Fleming

    Mike Fleming Guest

    wot if its upside down and your lookin from the front? "Scatterbunny"
    <scatterbunnyrabbit*butnospam*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tony Raven writes:
    >
    > > Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
    > the
    > > pedal the reverse applies ;-)
    >
    > Unless the bike is upside down...
    >
    > :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Scatterbunny ~..~ ( ' )

  5. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]family.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], archierob <[email protected]> typed:
    > > This tip was told to me by one of the best bike mechanics that ever lifted a spanner - Tubby
    > > Alexander of Cardiff.
    > >
    > > Pedals - bit confusing when removing or adding.
    > >
    > > Stand behind the bike -they go ON forwards.
    > >
    > > They come OFF backwards
    > >

    > Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below
    the
    > pedal the reverse applies ;-)

    I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine
    it being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
    forwards? Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread?
    If not, why not? Den

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Dennis <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Provided the spanner handle is above the pedal. Of course if its below the pedal the reverse
    >> applies ;-)
    >
    > I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine
    > it being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
    > forwards? Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread?
    > If not, why not?

    Fix the pedal and put the spanner on it. As the spanner rotates about the pedal axis the handle is
    moving backwards over the top of the pedal and then down and forwards underneatth the pedal before
    coming up and round to complete the circle. At various points in the circle the handle is moving
    back, forward, up and down.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I fail to see this (that's nothing new) Surely, if you look at the offside pedal and imagine it
    > being driven, it needs to have a left hand thread so that it tightens as you cycle
    forwards?
    > Similarly, if you look at the nearside pedal it needs to have a right hand thread? If not,
    > why not?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal

    says it all.

    (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )

    cheers, clive

  8. Archierob

    Archierob Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

    OK, OK. lol

    Forgot to say - Mars has to be in conjunction with Venus!

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>OK, OK. lol</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>Forgot to say - Mars has to be in conjunction with=20
    Venus!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C31D7B.5900BF70--

  9. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mike Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
    > wot if its upside down and your lookin from the front?

    The easy way is to put the spanner on the pedal and turn the pedal forwards - ie in the direction of
    travel. To refit turn the pedal backwards.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  10. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:12:06 GMT, "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I always said I should've been a bricklayer.

    Sounds dashed uncomfortable to me :-X

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. > (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )

    Do they come out when you're cycling, or are they for a trick bike that has to be pedalled backwards
    because of a twist in the chain?

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
    >
    > Do they come out when you're cycling, or are they for a trick bike that has to be pedalled
    > backwards because of a twist in the chain?

    Do them up tight. Not been a problem yet. (They're the front cranks on one of my tandems, and the
    previous owner didn't get a proper tandem set. I suspect there may be some delibarate thread damage
    to make the fit a bit tighter.).

    cheers, clive

  14. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 07:17:53 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
    Jones) wrote:

    >> (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
    >
    >Do they come out when you're cycling

    Unless the bearings have seized, pedals don't transmit torque, they transmit a force radial to the
    spindle. You can get away with anything on pedals.

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    >>> (just for confusion, some of my pedals have the wrong threads :) )
    >>
    >> Do they come out when you're cycling
    >
    > Unless the bearings have seized, pedals don't transmit torque, they transmit a force radial to the
    > spindle. You can get away with anything on pedals.

    Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

    ~PB

  16. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:03:03 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

    Even Sheldon gets it wrong sometimes (although not so badly as Eric Laithwaite). There's no
    precession if the axes are parallel.

    Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 15:29:42 +0100, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Eric Laithwaite ... should be remembered as an enthusiastic, compelling engineer, scientist and
    >teacher who inspired an interest in technology among many.

    Seconded. I'm an electrical engineer by training and would be the first to admit that it can be less
    than enthralling at times; Prof. Eric was always fizzing with enthusiasm. I remember his Royal
    Society lectures with particular fondness, and especially the way he used to get Bill Coates, the
    technician, in on the demos. Good lab technicians are the lifeblood of any lab and are vastly
    underappreciated.

    Hats off to Eric Laithwaite.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:41:04 +0100, Andy Dingley scrawled: ) OK, lets assume a miniscule precessive
    force. But the nature of a ) tight threaded connection is non-Newtonian.

    Good heavens. How fast are you moving, or how small is your vehicle?

    J-P
    --
    "People aren't very bright, you know. They say they want freedom, but when they get the chance, they
    pass up Nietzsche and choose Hitler, because he would march into a room to speak and music and

  19. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy Dingley
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?

    Used to get an odd one coming off when it was steel in steel - I haven't had any come loose with
    steel in alloy. However LH cranks are a totally different problem - no matter how tight they are
    done up:-(

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  20. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [Cross-posted to rec.bicycles.tech to get some more response.......]

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    >> Look up "precession" at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

    > Even Sheldon gets it wrong sometimes (although not so badly as Eric Laithwaite). There's no
    > precession if the axes are parallel.
    >
    > Anyone suffering from pedals falling off, with either threading ?