Pedal Type

Currently using basic ol SPD's but i'm really hoping sometime i can get some speedplays, I've ridden a few times on speedplay zeros and loved em.

Originally posted by lokstah
The key improvement touted with the Zero is that it takes the X's super-free rotational float and adds an adjustability feature. It's a good strategy for roping in Tyler Hamilton fans married to more traditional systems, but for anyone interested in Speedplay's signature float, it's kind of superfluous. Who'd buy Speedplays to run them at 2deg float?

In addition, the Zeros perform fabulously overall, but the slightly more complicated mechanism is (in my opinion) marginally less smooth-operating than the X's clip. If broad float appeals to you, try the X first. Which ever level (X3, X2, etc) fits your budget. The clip and cleat are the same as you go up and down.

Enjoy!

Agree the Zero adjustability feature is not important. I got the Zeros thinking the X's would have too much float for me. But, find I run them basically open anyway. Only issue which I've mentioned before is that Speedplay's are a bit sensitive to dirt and grit. Solution is to use the Coffee Shop Covers at rest stops; they keep everything clean and prevent wear on the cleats.

Originally posted by dhk
Agree the Zero adjustability feature is not important. I got the Zeros thinking the X's would have too much float for me. But, find I run them basically open anyway. Only issue which I've mentioned before is that Speedplay's are a bit sensitive to dirt and grit. Solution is to use the Coffee Shop Covers at rest stops; they keep everything clean and prevent wear on the cleats.

I rode with Time Equipe's for years, then bought a pair of Speedplay Zeros a few months ago. Nice pedals, but I couldn't get used to the "non-friction" float no matter how tight I micro-adjusted the float. I sold the Zeros and bought a set of Shimano SPD-SL's and love them. Awesome pedals.

Speedplays X-2, even after a "major crash" as a result of the 5K warning by the manufacture.

systecsol said:
Speedplays X-2, even after a "major crash" as a result of the 5K warning by the manufacture.

The what? What is the 5k warning and why does it cause a "major crash?"

Also -- for speedplay users who switched from more conventional systesm -- is the lack of friction/free float awkward/bothersome?

RC2

In the box that contains the cleats is a warning by Speedplay stating “replace cleats after 5,000 miles.” I am paraphrasing and I believe it also states that this is because the springs lose tension. On a climb in central Oregon I was peddling while off the seat and my right shoe released from the X2. I was knocked unconscious as a result of landing on my head.

I've got a measly 60 or so miles on my new Speedplay Zeros, but so far and for what (if anything) it's worth, coming from Time Impacts I've noticed:
Difficult in, easy out (better than the other way round!)
Very secure once in
Really nice free float
Good Q factor
I bought the Zeros over the originals because I tend to catch the chainstays with my heels and with these I can have zero inward float and tons of outward. Seems to be suiting me fine. If I could just figure out how to clip in to the bloody things...

RC2 said:
The what? What is the 5k warning and why does it cause a "major crash?"

Also -- for speedplay users who switched from more conventional systesm -- is the lack of friction/free float awkward/bothersome?

Yes, too free for me. And a bit difficult to get into. Had to go back.

Only used Look and now SPD-SL's. Shimano pedals feel much better. Easier to get off the bike and walk into the coffee shop with SPD-SL's.:cool:

F) Speedplay X2

As for the comment regarding not enough contact area. There is plenty of contact area. It is just that it is build into the cleat and not the pedal. The pedal meets flush on its flat side and spreads out the contact area to the entire cleat.

New to cycling, but I'm using the Crank Brother's Eggbeaters and really enjoy them. Tried Look and SPD, but enjoyed the ease of use of the Eggbeaters. I also enjoy the uniqueness of the pedal as well.

Very light. Simple to use.

lokstah said:
E) Speedplay Zeros
ditto
and i have used all of those in training or racing and speedply are by far the lightest...easiest... and best all around..
it is double sided...you can ride with shoes easily...the zeros have just the right amount of give...and when climbing you can really pull !