Pedal Type

Speedplay CSC Edition Zero -- stainless steel version. I like the float feature -- I've noticed that my knees feel much better after longer rides.

And the red color matches my bike! ;)

wineandkeyz said:
Speedplay CSC Edition Zero -- stainless steel version. I like the float feature -- I've noticed that my knees feel much better after longer rides.

And the red color matches my bike!
Bleh! I have the red, but there's no red on my bike. Now they make the yellow, and there IS yellow on my bike. Coincidentally, the frame of the new bike I'm building is red, so........ hehe. Looks like another set of pedals to me. :cool:

Britt said:
New to cycling, but I'm using the Crank Brother's Eggbeaters and really enjoy them. Tried Look and SPD, but enjoyed the ease of use of the Eggbeaters. I also enjoy the uniqueness of the pedal as well.

Very light. Simple to use.

Same here... I've got Candy's on my mtb, Eggbeaters on my old road bike and the new road bike will be fitted with Quattros when they eventually come out.

Love the float, the simplicity of it all and being able to use one pair of shoes for all the bikes.

rockthrowjoe said:
What type of pedals do you have on your bike?
Can someone please help? I just bought my first road bike and it came with regular pedals with the straps on it. How much will it benifit me to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals? Thanks everyone!

msdbking said:
Can someone please help? I just bought my first road bike and it came with regular pedals with the straps on it. How much will it benifit me to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals? Thanks everyone!

To be honest, it depends upon your ability and goals for riding the bike. If you are just looking to get fit and ride about town, I wouldn't worry about the pedals (at least for a while). If you are seeking to fly about roads and ride some races, then the pedals are going to help you about 20 - 40%.

Just my two cents....

-Bryan

Another Speedplay vote here. Great for my right knee which has seen two reconstructive surgeries. No stress, no pain. I went with the X2, middle of the road in price with a large amount of float for my "pigeon-kneed" right leg.:)

I'm using SPD-SL (pd-r600) for a short time now. A very good upgrade from plain old SPD's.

SPD-SLs (PD-R540), which is the 105 equivalent. Lovely big pedal platform after >10years on SPDs. I'm still making up my mind about whether there's enough float. No problems with my knees yet, but I'm often conscious of a vague desire for more float when cycling (my SPD cleats and pedals were very worn and gave me lots). What float there is is quite stiff (even with the adjustment screw largely backed off); if you clip in the shoe by hand and move it through the full float range, it takes a reasonable force. Don't want to lubricate for fear of accumulating road rubbish.
I've had a couple of unintended unclippings when pedalling hard, but couldn't swear that I didn't accidentally push my heel out. That never happened with the SPDs, however.

artemidorus said:
SPD-SLs (PD-R540), which is the 105 equivalent. Lovely big pedal platform after >10years on SPDs. I'm still making up my mind about whether there's enough float. No problems with my knees yet, but I'm often conscious of a vague desire for more float when cycling (my SPD cleats and pedals were very worn and gave me lots). What float there is is quite stiff (even with the adjustment screw largely backed off); if you clip in the shoe by hand and move it through the full float range, it takes a reasonable force. Don't want to lubricate for fear of accumulating road rubbish.
I've had a couple of unintended unclippings when pedalling hard, but couldn't swear that I didn't accidentally push my heel out. That never happened with the SPDs, however.
SPD-SL R540.

No problems since changed to them 3 months ago. Great.

Speedplay X2s on the road bike .. have not had any problems. I like the 2 sided entry and enjoy the "float". I am using Egg-beaters on my MTB bike ... love them ... again the 4 sided entry is so practical. The weight savings is not all bad as well.

Although I was using Look CX-6 pedals when I voted, I have just switched to Dura-Ace SPD because they offer superior exiting to all the Look pedals I have tried. So far I am thrilled with SPDs and will probably never buy another Look pedal.

Look CX-7.

My right foot toe's out aprox 5-10 degrees and is pronated so although expensive, the CX-7's are great.

I used speed play frogs on my mountain bike, but they don't give me the pronation I need.

Speedplay X.

Didn't realize so many other people used them. They are good though.

Shimano SPD-520 they work great and I like that I can walk around normaly in my shoes.

Dura Ace SPD SL. Expensive but worth it. Knee pain instantly went away. Easiest clik-in ever.