Pedal upgrade? Differences? Shimano....

tmorefi

May 2, 2006
I'm just getting into riding and am training for my first century this summer. I have a Giant TCR2 with the Shimano PD-R540 pedals. I know these are on the low-end but what advantages are there to upgrading besides weight? I seem to like these OK but don't have anything to compare them to. Other reasonably priced pedals I should try? Benefits? Thanks.

tm-

Upgrading will get you a bit less weight, and maybe a lower stack height. Neither are going to lead to any dramatic improvements. If you're looking to build up to a century, the money would probably be better spent on some good shorts.

Thanks. I have shorts and everything I need, just curious what the differences are for the higher-end (more expensive pedals) versus the ones I am using.

tmorefi said:
Thanks. I have shorts and everything I need, just curious what the differences are for the higher-end (more expensive pedals) versus the ones I am using.
I have the same bike and the same pedals. Both pedal axles are now badly worn and pitted after ~9000km. Not serviceable apart from replacing the whole axle. I would like to think that the more expensive spd-sl models have harder bearing surfaces, but I think that the problem is simply that the bearing diameter is too small, as are the balls. They do this to reduce stack height. I have 14yo SPD pedals that have done 15,000-20,000km. These are in perfect condition with no play, no noise and plenty of the original factory grease still inside. The bearings are bigger and I think this is the key, although I'm no engineer. Apart from the short life, the pedals are otherwise pleasant to use, simple, easy to enter and exit, the cleats can be walked on and the cleats have a fair chance of outlasting the pedal (one of mine has!).

tmorefi said:

For Shimano pedals, as I recall, there is very little difference between the 105 and Ultegra level, save for the paint job and a little weight. The Dura-Ace SPD-SL have an additional set of needle bearings underneath the middle of the platform. I'm not sure how much difference the additional bearings make, or how long-lasting the pedals are. I'd had no problems with mine in the 3000km or so I've been on them.

The only difference is the bearings. The Ultegras spin a little easier, but trust me, you will not notice the difference unless you are spinning them in your fingers. This was shown to me at my LBS. So really, the differences are: a little weight, paint, and bearings. Nothing worth spending the extra bucks in my opinion.