Pedal washers? Needed or not?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by TNyzio, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. TNyzio

    TNyzio Guest

    A month or so ago I bought an FSA Energy crank, and it came with thin stainless
    washers to go between the crankarm and pedal (or at least that's what I figured
    out, since they weren't mentioned in the instructions). It was the first time
    I'd ever seen 'em.

    Anyway, I just bought an FSA from one of the discount internet places, and
    there were no washers (no box or hardware of any kind.. must have been OEM).

    Do I need to scrounge up some washers? Does it make a difference? Should I
    just use the ones that came with the Energy?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tom

    Tags:

  2. dianne_1234

    dianne_1234 Guest

    On 13 Sep 2004 22:06:07 GMT, [email protected] (TNyzio) wrote:

    >A month or so ago I bought an FSA Energy crank, and it came with thin stainless
    >washers to go between the crankarm and pedal (or at least that's what I figured
    >out, since they weren't mentioned in the instructions). It was the first time
    >I'd ever seen 'em.
    >
    >Anyway, I just bought an FSA from one of the discount internet places, and
    >there were no washers (no box or hardware of any kind.. must have been OEM).
    >
    >Do I need to scrounge up some washers? Does it make a difference? Should I
    >just use the ones that came with the Energy?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Tom

    I remember reading in this group that TruVative found pedal crank
    washers extended the fatigue life of the crank, but there was some
    "discussion" about it. Try here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...+washers+fatigue&meta=group=rec.bicycles.tech

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/6x8lh

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    They don't really help, but it leads to another discussion that the pedal to crank interface standard should be modified to have a shape similar to lug nuts and car wheels. A quotation from Jobst Brandt:
    "The problem is that the contact face is parallel to the
    force applied and that can't work as we see from the need
    for a left hand thread on the left pedal. The joint is
    always moving. Placing a washer between that face does
    nothing to reduce that motion. In fact part of the fretting
    failure is INSIDE the thread although it is most visible on
    the face of the crank when the pedal is removed."

    If we had a new pedal to crank conical interface standard this problem would go away.

  4. tnyzio-<< A month or so ago I bought an FSA Energy crank, and it came with thin
    stainless
    washers >><BR><BR>
    << Do I need to scrounge up some washers? Does it make a difference? Should I
    just use the ones that came with the Energy? >><BR><BR>

    Should use washers, why they are included. The will allow the pedal part that
    contacts the arm from gooning up the arm.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. TNyzio wrote:
    > A month or so ago I bought an FSA Energy crank, and it came with thin stainless
    > washers to go between the crankarm and pedal (or at least that's what I figured
    > out, since they weren't mentioned in the instructions). It was the first time
    > I'd ever seen 'em.
    >
    > Anyway, I just bought an FSA from one of the discount internet places, and
    > there were no washers (no box or hardware of any kind.. must have been OEM).
    >
    > Do I need to scrounge up some washers? Does it make a difference? Should I
    > just use the ones that came with the Energy?

    I've always got away without them, but if the crank came with them I
    would use them. They slow down the rate at which the pedal chews the
    crank, but won't eliminate it completely.

  6. EZ

    EZ Guest

    I have a chain cleaner but can't say I have ever tried pedal washers.
    Sounds like a gimmick to me.