Pedalchick and Joey....three months later.

Cutter Pimp

Guest
Chad Gibson Dec 20, 7:22 pm

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
From: "Chad Gibson"
Date: 20 Dec 2004 19:22:12 -0800
Subject: Re: And the LATEST US drug cheat is......

The source of my anger wasn't Joey, nor was my post directed at him. I
actualy wasn't angry at all. I just found it funny; you getting bent
out of shape over a little protein powder and snake oil 'get ripped'
supplements that are LEGAL when you let a doper coach you.
Plus, I simply don't like you very much.

Joey knows how I feel about him, and if he doesn't, well he would have
to be pretty dense.
Although, constantly joking about doping, bragging that you know who is
and isn't doping in the peloton, telling people that EPO is available
over the internet or over the counter in Mexico, working for a pharma
co, and taking enough Caffine and sudafed (back when they were banned)
to make you see God in broad daylight right before a NRC crit next to
the car, with teammates and passers-by milling around: then getting
popped after a string of suspiciously good results for a less than
mediocre career tail-gunner. Then loudly proclaming your
innocence-that's pretty dense.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even classify my post as a personal
attack-I was simply pointing out what I percieved as a double standard
with you. On one hand, you defend J to the end, even tho he is beyond
guilty and everyone knows it. You even went so far as to have people
kicked off your team because they dared to say it out loud. Yet your
gentle sensibilities are offended by a little Ripped Fuel being sold at
your gym? So if some weightroom monkey wants to choke back every
wonder drug cum shot that GNC can pump on him, that's not okay--yet, a
guy in your own sport is a doper, guilty as hell, and you think it's
just peachy for him to remain in the sport as a coach and advisor to
lower cat riders and juniors? I say horseshit, plain and simple.
Why doesn't Joey have the balls to post anymore?

cp

Taking on the testers
One rider's effort to clear his name
D'Antoni maintains his innocence
By Phil Marques
Special to VeloNews
This report filed November 25, 2004
On September 24, the United States Antidoping Agency announced the
two-year suspension of 27-year-old Joey D'Antoni.

Click image to enlarge
by Mike Hoffman

D'Antoni in 2002

The track racer from Raleigh, North Carolina, tested positive for
recombinant human Erythropoietin (rHuEPO), a synthetic hormone that
increases the body's ability to produce red blood cells.

D'Antoni is the third U.S. cyclist to test positive for the banned
hormone. Former U.S. national time trial champion Adham Sbeih tested
positive in August of 2003. More recently, up-and-coming rider Adam
Bergman joined the blacklist.

Sbeih argued he never took EPO. "I've never even seen the stuff," he
said.

Despite offering evidence in his hearing that his result would have
been considered negative had the EPO test been run at the Australian
WADA lab, Sbeih earned the dubious distinction of becoming the first
U.S. cyclist to be found guilty of taking EPO and socked with a two
year ban.

Click image to enlarge
by Casey B. Gibson

For all intents and purposes, the competitive careers of all three men
are now finished. Sbeih has since retired and now works in the
financial industry. Bergman, whose case is pending before the North
American Court of Arbitration for Sport, declined to be interviewed
citing his the upcoming arbitration hearing. But those familiar with
the CAS process say he has little chance of overturning a test result
that has no way of being contradicted.

UCLA Olympic Lab Director Dr. Don Catlin, M.D., acknowledges the lack
of outside peer review for the EPO test.

"I do not know of a single lab - other than a handful of WADA labs -
that performs this test," says Catlin. "There is no demand for it other
than for doping control. Maybe there is a clandestine lab trying to
monitor athletes?"