Pedalchick Story

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sierraman, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    I didn't even see this till now...

    I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
    ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
    lucky.

    Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...

    http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

    B-

    Tags:

  2. > I didn't even see this till now...

    > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
    > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
    > lucky.
    >
    > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
    >
    > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

    Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

  3. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Callistus Valerius wrote:
    >>I didn't even see this till now...
    >>
    >>I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
    >>ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
    >>lucky.
    >>
    >>Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
    >>
    >>http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

    > Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

    The upside is that if he ever ends up stabbed and and drowned in a
    bathtub, he'll be just fine.

  4. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > > I didn't even see this till now...
    > >
    > > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
    > > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
    > > lucky.
    > >
    > > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
    > >
    > > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

    > Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

    War of the Roses was better!

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > > I didn't even see this till now...
    > >
    > > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
    > > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
    > > lucky.
    > >
    > > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
    > >
    > > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

    > Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

    You know thinking about that is funny as hell. I'll have to introduce you to
    an old Indian girlfriend of mine.

  6. A good reason to have medical insurance before dabbling in this sport
    (and no, I wasn't talking about the USAC insurance).

    Sierraman wrote:
    > I didn't even see this till now...
    >
    > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in

    the
    > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not

    so
    > lucky.
    >
    > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
    >
    > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336
    >
    > B-

  7. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    I have say something here. I can't tell from the article but I have never
    landed using my wrists to brake a fall, because I learned how to fall and
    roll in Martial Arts years ago. I have fallen over lots of times at a
    standstill and I have never instinctively reached out using my hands,
    wrists. I usually brace for distributed impact on my side. In the arts you
    are trained to roll and use the softer areas of your forearms, and the
    emphasis is not to use your hands like that which can damage your wrists.
    That's probably helped me when I got hit by a car too since I landed on my
    side bracing for impact. Dam guided missile. I got out on the ends of my
    mountain bike pedals and prepared to fly like superman, I knew it was
    coming. The bike hit the car head on and I was launched cleanly off the bike
    over the top of the car. The only thing that hit was just above my knee hit
    the handlebars a tat giving me a small bruise, and I credit my landing and
    falling skills from Martial Arts. A number of times my walkman and CD player
    also went flying when I have had spills on the trails but I have never
    fallen badly with the skills I have learned and I have never once gotten
    hurt and this includes laying my bike down at 40mph to avoid going over a
    cliff. I just laid it down on the sharp corning and slid on my butt across
    the payment. Thanks for the extra layers that day. No road rash to speak of.
    You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
    your crashing skills.

    B-

  8. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >No road rash to speak of.
    >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
    >your crashing skills.

    Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
    but then again, that's what friends are for.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. pedalchick

    pedalchick Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >No road rash to speak of.
    > >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to

    compliment
    > >your crashing skills.

    > Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
    > but then again, that's what friends are for.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    LOL! That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and I did an endo
    off my bike. I went to the store for my mom to get Al foil for a
    barbeque, and was being all cool riding back no-handed with the
    package. I wasn't paying attention to the road (because I was being
    cool) and ran over a baseball bat that was lying directly in my path.
    I went splat and my brother, who just happened to be outside, saw me
    crash and just stood there laughing. No offers to help, sympathy, or
    even asking if I was hurt. Needless to say, to this day I am a bit
    afraid to ride no handed.

    On the martial arts, it might have helped to have training, but I've
    fallen off my bike plenty and have managed to avoid serious injury.
    This was just such a stupid fluke. If I had been going faster I
    probably wouldn't have even fallen over.

    I just want someone to explain to me why cyclocross bikes have so much
    toe-overlap. Why is that? I've seen 58cm bikes with toe-lap. My
    friend's 50cm cx bike nearly has CRANK overlap with the front tire.
    It's ridiculous. It seems to me that you'd want it to be less overlap
    than a road bike since you're more likely to be doing tight turns.
    I know the top tubes are generally shorter because the position is more
    upright, but there has to be a way to alter the geometry to minimize
    toe lap. Maybe Mr. Sachs can clarify this.

  10. > On the martial arts, it might have helped to have training, but I've
    > fallen off my bike plenty and have managed to avoid serious injury.

    Every crash I've had has been followed by an ambulance ride with sirens
    howling and frantic activity around me. Just call it bad luck.

  11. pedalchick wrote:

    > I just want someone to explain to me why cyclocross bikes have so

    much
    > toe-overlap. Why is that? I've seen 58cm bikes with toe-lap. My
    > friend's 50cm cx bike nearly has CRANK overlap with the front tire.
    > It's ridiculous. It seems to me that you'd want it to be less

    overlap
    > than a road bike since you're more likely to be doing tight turns.
    > I know the top tubes are generally shorter because the position is

    more
    > upright, but there has to be a way to alter the geometry to minimize
    > toe lap. Maybe Mr. Sachs can clarify this.

    Why toe overlap - fatter tires, for one thing. Different cleat
    position on your shoes. Shallower seat angle and shorter top tube
    if so designed. Higher BB can put the foot closer to the rearmost
    part of the tire (seems like that would be a minor effect). A cross
    bike can have a slightly shallower head angle and more fork rake which
    _decreases_ toe overlap compared to a road bike. Some small frames,
    road or cross, have very shallow head angles, but I'd think this
    would affect handling.

    At 6'1 I have toe overlap on some of my bikes, just because I have
    the cleats moderately far back on my dinghy-sized mtb shoes. It's just
    a fact of life. I never get the wheel twisted that far over when
    moving at even medium speed. I smacked the crap out of my shoulder
    in a cross race on Saturday, but only because of my lack of handling
    skills and the bad luck of hitting my skinny shoulder - if I'd landed
    on my Fattie Master hip, I'd have no more than a bruise.

  12. And now Snow Summit in Big Bear Ca is prohibiting downhillers from
    using the chairlifts. For insurance reasons. Basically because
    deadbeat bike riders don't show up with enough medical insurance to
    cover their x-game ambitions.
    Get your own medical insurance or give it up pleeze.

  13. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >No road rash to speak of.
    > >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
    > >your crashing skills.

    > Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
    > but then again, that's what friends are for.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
    They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
    and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
    quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
    humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
    chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

  14. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >No road rash to speak of.
    > >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
    > >your crashing skills.

    > Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
    > but then again, that's what friends are for.

    They weren't laughing *at* you, they were laughing *with* you. (At this
    point you're encouraged to say, "But, I wasn't laughing...")

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "You ain't having fun until you're dialing 911"
    Atomic 7

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  15. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > LOL! That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and I did an endo
    > off my bike. I went to the store for my mom to get Al foil for a
    > barbeque, and was being all cool riding back no-handed with the
    > package. I wasn't paying attention to the road (because I was being
    > cool) and ran over a baseball bat that was lying directly in my path.
    > I went splat and my brother, who just happened to be outside, saw me
    > crash and just stood there laughing. No offers to help, sympathy, or
    > even asking if I was hurt. Needless to say, to this day I am a bit
    > afraid to ride no handed.

    I did the same as a kid once carrying pepsi bottles to the store for
    redemption value, IIRC, around 10 cents a bottle. I was riding without hands
    while holding a couple of six packs on the handlebars. I went down right in
    the middle of an intersection, and the pepsi bottles broke, glass all over
    the payment and a bunch of bystanders laughing their ass off. That was
    embarrassing!

  16. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Sierraman wrote:
    > One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
    > They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
    > and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
    > quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
    > humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
    > chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

    Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
    tapped them.

  17. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:04:57 GMT, Howard Kveck
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They weren't laughing *at* you, they were laughing *with* you. (At this
    >point you're encouraged to say, "But, I wasn't laughing...")

    With my friends no one pretends. They're laughing at you. It isn't the
    laughing I mind, its the bleeping commentary.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  18. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:53:54 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It was a bit
    >humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
    >chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

    Have to say the worst of that sort wasn't a bike accident. I was
    driving a sports car in downtown Wichita during lunch time when all
    the secretaries came out. Tried to impress a couple with the whole
    convertible sports car thing - except my first 'power' shift twisted
    the shift gate slightly and I couldn't get it into another gear - or
    back into first. Rolled to a stop along the curb, dead in the water...

    Yeah, they were laughing.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  19. On 12/08/2004 01:01 AM, in article
    [email protected]lid, "Donald Munro"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sierraman wrote:
    >> One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
    >> They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
    >> and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
    >> quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
    >> humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
    >> chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

    > Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
    > tapped them.

    They could be laughing at you WHILE you tap them.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  20. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Sierraman wrote:
    > > One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway

    49.
    > > They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at

    them
    > > and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
    > > quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
    > > humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of

    nice
    > > chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

    > Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
    > tapped them.

    I'd be worried about girls like that.