Pedalchick Story

> I didn't even see this till now...
>
> I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
> ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
> lucky.
>
> Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
>
> http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>>I didn't even see this till now...
>>
>>I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
>>ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
>>lucky.
>>
>>Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
>>
>>http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

> Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

The upside is that if he ever ends up stabbed and and drowned in a
bathtub, he'll be just fine.

> > I didn't even see this till now...
> >
> > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
> > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
> > lucky.
> >
> > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
> >
> > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

> Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

War of the Roses was better!

> > I didn't even see this till now...
> >
> > I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in the
> > ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not so
> > lucky.
> >
> > Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
> >
> > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336

> Have you ever seen the movie "fatal attraction"?

You know thinking about that is funny as hell. I'll have to introduce you to
an old Indian girlfriend of mine.

A good reason to have medical insurance before dabbling in this sport
(and no, I wasn't talking about the USAC insurance).

Sierraman wrote:
> I didn't even see this till now...
>
> I got hit head on by a car, went flying over the top and landed in

the
> ditch, without any broken bones. Just lucky I guess. My bike was not

so
> lucky.
>
> Laura Weislo Rider Diary: Them's the Breaks...
>
> http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7336
>
> B-

"Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I have say something here. I can't tell from the article but I have never
landed using my wrists to brake a fall, because I learned how to fall and
roll in Martial Arts years ago. I have fallen over lots of times at a
standstill and I have never instinctively reached out using my hands,
wrists. I usually brace for distributed impact on my side. In the arts you
are trained to roll and use the softer areas of your forearms, and the
emphasis is not to use your hands like that which can damage your wrists.
That's probably helped me when I got hit by a car too since I landed on my
side bracing for impact. Dam guided missile. I got out on the ends of my
mountain bike pedals and prepared to fly like superman, I knew it was
coming. The bike hit the car head on and I was launched cleanly off the bike
over the top of the car. The only thing that hit was just above my knee hit
the handlebars a tat giving me a small bruise, and I credit my landing and
falling skills from Martial Arts. A number of times my walkman and CD player
also went flying when I have had spills on the trails but I have never
fallen badly with the skills I have learned and I have never once gotten
hurt and this includes laying my bike down at 40mph to avoid going over a
cliff. I just laid it down on the sharp corning and slid on my butt across
the payment. Thanks for the extra layers that day. No road rash to speak of.
You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
your crashing skills.

B-

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>No road rash to speak of.
>You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
>your crashing skills.

Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
but then again, that's what friends are for.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >No road rash to speak of.
> >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to

compliment
> >your crashing skills.

> Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
> but then again, that's what friends are for.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

LOL! That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and I did an endo
off my bike. I went to the store for my mom to get Al foil for a
barbeque, and was being all cool riding back no-handed with the
package. I wasn't paying attention to the road (because I was being
cool) and ran over a baseball bat that was lying directly in my path.
I went splat and my brother, who just happened to be outside, saw me
crash and just stood there laughing. No offers to help, sympathy, or
even asking if I was hurt. Needless to say, to this day I am a bit
afraid to ride no handed.

On the martial arts, it might have helped to have training, but I've
fallen off my bike plenty and have managed to avoid serious injury.
This was just such a stupid fluke. If I had been going faster I
probably wouldn't have even fallen over.

I just want someone to explain to me why cyclocross bikes have so much
toe-overlap. Why is that? I've seen 58cm bikes with toe-lap. My
friend's 50cm cx bike nearly has CRANK overlap with the front tire.
It's ridiculous. It seems to me that you'd want it to be less overlap
than a road bike since you're more likely to be doing tight turns.
I know the top tubes are generally shorter because the position is more
upright, but there has to be a way to alter the geometry to minimize
toe lap. Maybe Mr. Sachs can clarify this.

> On the martial arts, it might have helped to have training, but I've
> fallen off my bike plenty and have managed to avoid serious injury.

Every crash I've had has been followed by an ambulance ride with sirens
howling and frantic activity around me. Just call it bad luck.

pedalchick wrote:

> I just want someone to explain to me why cyclocross bikes have so

much
> toe-overlap. Why is that? I've seen 58cm bikes with toe-lap. My
> friend's 50cm cx bike nearly has CRANK overlap with the front tire.
> It's ridiculous. It seems to me that you'd want it to be less

overlap
> than a road bike since you're more likely to be doing tight turns.
> I know the top tubes are generally shorter because the position is

more
> upright, but there has to be a way to alter the geometry to minimize
> toe lap. Maybe Mr. Sachs can clarify this.

Why toe overlap - fatter tires, for one thing. Different cleat
position on your shoes. Shallower seat angle and shorter top tube
if so designed. Higher BB can put the foot closer to the rearmost
part of the tire (seems like that would be a minor effect). A cross
bike can have a slightly shallower head angle and more fork rake which
_decreases_ toe overlap compared to a road bike. Some small frames,
road or cross, have very shallow head angles, but I'd think this
would affect handling.

At 6'1 I have toe overlap on some of my bikes, just because I have
the cleats moderately far back on my dinghy-sized mtb shoes. It's just
a fact of life. I never get the wheel twisted that far over when
moving at even medium speed. I smacked the **** out of my shoulder
in a cross race on Saturday, but only because of my lack of handling
skills and the bad luck of hitting my skinny shoulder - if I'd landed
on my Fattie Master hip, I'd have no more than a bruise.

And now Snow Summit in Big Bear Ca is prohibiting downhillers from
using the chairlifts. For insurance reasons. Basically because
deadbeat bike riders don't show up with enough medical insurance to
cover their x-game ambitions.
Get your own medical insurance or give it up pleeze.

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >No road rash to speak of.
> >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
> >your crashing skills.

> Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
> but then again, that's what friends are for.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

In article <[email protected]>,
Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:13 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >No road rash to speak of.
> >You might want to take up some rolling and falling lessons to compliment
> >your crashing skills.

> Hmmm. Never got any compliments. Had friends stand around and laugh,
> but then again, that's what friends are for.

They weren't laughing *at* you, they were laughing *with* you. (At this
point you're encouraged to say, "But, I wasn't laughing...")

--
tanx,
Howard

"You ain't having fun until you're dialing 911"
Atomic 7

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> LOL! That reminds me of the time when I was a kid and I did an endo
> off my bike. I went to the store for my mom to get Al foil for a
> barbeque, and was being all cool riding back no-handed with the
> package. I wasn't paying attention to the road (because I was being
> cool) and ran over a baseball bat that was lying directly in my path.
> I went splat and my brother, who just happened to be outside, saw me
> crash and just stood there laughing. No offers to help, sympathy, or
> even asking if I was hurt. Needless to say, to this day I am a bit
> afraid to ride no handed.

I did the same as a kid once carrying pepsi bottles to the store for
redemption value, IIRC, around 10 cents a bottle. I was riding without hands
while holding a couple of six packs on the handlebars. I went down right in
the middle of an intersection, and the pepsi bottles broke, glass all over
the payment and a bunch of bystanders laughing their ass off. That was
embarrassing!

Sierraman wrote:
> One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
> They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
> and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
> quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
> humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
> chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
tapped them.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:04:57 GMT, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>They weren't laughing *at* you, they were laughing *with* you. (At this
>point you're encouraged to say, "But, I wasn't laughing...")

With my friends no one pretends. They're laughing at you. It isn't the
laughing I mind, its the bleeping commentary.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:53:54 -0800, "Sierraman" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It was a bit
>humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
>chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

Have to say the worst of that sort wasn't a bike accident. I was
driving a sports car in downtown Wichita during lunch time when all
the secretaries came out. Tried to impress a couple with the whole
convertible sports car thing - except my first 'power' shift twisted
the shift gate slightly and I couldn't get it into another gear - or
back into first. Rolled to a stop along the curb, dead in the water...

Yeah, they were laughing.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On 12/08/2004 01:01 AM, in article
[email protected]lid, "Donald Munro"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Sierraman wrote:
>> One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway 49.
>> They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at them
>> and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
>> quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
>> humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of nice
>> chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

> Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
> tapped them.

They could be laughing at you WHILE you tap them.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Sierraman wrote:
> > One time I crashed in front of two chicks on the Bagby grade on highway

49.
> > They started laughing like crazy, and then their boyfriends got mad at

them
> > and told them to stop laughing at me and see if I was hurt. Then they
> > quickly sobered up and offered me a hand, band aids, etc. It was a bit
> > humiliating to sit there on your ass after a wipeout with a couple of

nice
> > chicks laughing their asses off at your misfortune.

> Don't worry, as always it could be worse. They could be laughing after you
> tapped them.

I'd be worried about girls like that.