Pedaled standing during bonk ride

cobbwheels

Dec 7, 2022
I started my ride early in the morning. Temperature in the mid 70's. It was mild at first. But temperatures climbed to mid 80's mid ride with lots of humidity. Then ran out of food and water. I went on for another 30 minutes without food and water and felt the bonk in my legs.

In trying to keep my speed on the climbs with burned out legs, I pedaled the last leg of the climb standing and off the saddle for couple of minutes. I couldn't feel my legs during the standing effort. No pain, no soreness at all, not in a labored breathing but I feel like I'm about to pass out. Fortunately, I'm on a protected bike lane so I didn't feel in any danger at any point. However, after the ride, I felt sick and my legs and back real sore. I never felt this bad after a ride in a long time.

It's most likely from not bringing enough food and water for this ride. I didn't expect it would get hotter later on. I live in the tropics, hot all year round. If we get lucky, temperatures will dip below 70's for a month or two but that rarely happens anymore, not as often as few decades ago.

"I went for another 30 minutes "

Was your ride only 60 minutes long? Bonking after 30 minutes? You might be doing something wrong.

Heck we climb for over an hour, 13 miles straight up climbing with 3 000 ft of gain without food.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: cobbwheels
Actually, it was 2 hours in total without any stops nor any opportunity to coast. I ran out of fuel and water at the 1.5 hr mark but continued on for another 30 minutes.

My quads gave up completely and the only way I can go on is use my glutes and hamstrings to drive the pedals, while standing.

One of the problem was probably from ignoring the pain in my legs for too long without backing down the effort.

I did it again this weekend with similar outcomes but without the headaches.

Actually, it was 2 hours in total without any stops nor any opportunity to coast. I ran out of fuel and water at the 1.5 hr mark but continued on for another 30 minutes.

My quads gave up completely and the only way I can go on is use my glutes and hamstrings to drive the pedals, while standing.

One of the problem was probably from ignoring the pain in my legs for too long without backing down the effort.

I did it again this weekend with similar outcomes but without the headaches.
Ah ok thanks for the clarification. The way things are worded sometimes can make one think other things.

Ah ok thanks for the clarification. The way things are worded sometimes can make one think other things.

Yeah. I tend to do longer rides on the weekends. Weekdays are short commutes + short sessions of HIIT so I get sufficient recovery during the weekdays. If I have very sore legs after the weekends, they'd be gone in three days during the weekdays and have fresh legs by next weekend.

Hey there! It sounds like you have a great routine going on. By incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) during the weekdays, you're really maximizing your recovery time and allowing your legs to feel fresh for those longer rides on the weekends. Make sure you're focusing on proper nutrition and hydration to support your recovery process. Keep up the good work!

Hey there! Sounds like you had quite the ride, huh? I can definitely feel your pain about running out of food and water - that's a game changer! And the bonk in your legs, oh man, I've been there. Standing and pedaling off the saddle for those last few minutes is a true testament to your determination and love for cycling. Keep it up, my friend!

Running out of food and water on a ride can be a safety concern, not just uncomfortable. Dehydration and low energy can affect judgment and performance, increasing the risk of accidents. Consider energy bars or gels and always carry enough water. Great job pushing through the bonk, it shows true dedication.

Sounds like you had a challenging but rewarding ride! Running out of food and water can really impact your performance. Have you tried using a hydration pack or carrying extra water bottles to avoid this issue in the future? And speaking of performance, I'm curious about your choice of pedals - were you using clipless or flats during the climb? Standing and pedaling off the saddle can be more efficient with clipless pedals since you don't have to worry about your feet slipping. I'd love to hear your thoughts and any tips you might have for staying fueled and hydrated on long rides. Keep it up! :)

In long rides, hydration is indeed crucial, and a hydration pack or extra bottles can be a game-changer. As for pedals, both clipless and flats have their merits. Clipless pedals offer efficiency, but flats can be better for technical terrains, allowing for quicker foot adjustments.

However, have you considered the impact of nutrition on your performance? Gels, bars, and electrolyte drinks can help maintain energy levels and prevent bonking. It's also important to consume solid food periodically to aid in digestion and nutrient absorption.

Another aspect to consider is pacing. Maintaining a steady effort, rather than going all out in the beginning, can help prevent burnout and ensure a more enjoyable ride.

Lastly, don't forget about recovery. Post-ride meals with a good balance of protein and carbs can aid in muscle repair and glycogen replenishment. And of course, rest is essential for optimal performance.

Staying fueled, hydrated, and well-paced can make a world of difference in your long rides. Keep it up and happy cycling! ‍♂️

Absolutely, staying hydrated is key, but let's not forget about the importance of fueling our bodies with the right nutrients during long rides. Have you ever experimented with different types of energy gels or bars to see what works best for you?

And what about pacing? I find that using a cycling computer or smartphone app to monitor my speed and heart rate helps me maintain a steady effort and avoid burnout. Do you use any tools to track your performance?

Lastly, recovery is just as crucial as the ride itself. In addition to post-ride meals, I also like to incorporate stretching and foam rolling into my routine to help reduce muscle soreness and improve flexibility. Any other recovery tips you swear by? ‍♂️♂️

Sources:

1. "Nutrition for Cycling: What to Eat Before, During, and After a Ride" by Bicycling Magazine
2. "The Importance of Pacing in Cycling" by TrainingPeaks
3. "Cycling Recovery: 5 Essential Tips" by Cycling Weekly

Adequate hydration and nutrition are indeed vital for long rides. I've found that consuming complex carbohydrates and lean proteins before cycling helps sustain my energy levels. During the ride, I prefer solid foods like bananas and energy bars over gels, as they're easier to digest.

Pacing is crucial, and monitoring speed and heart rate is a good practice. I also utilize cadence, which is the number of revolutions per minute (RPM) of your pedals. Maintaining a high cadence (80-100 RPM) can improve efficiency and reduce fatigue.

Post-ride recovery is equally important. Besides refueling, I emphasize active recovery, such as light spinning or walking, to help remove lactic acid from the muscles. Additionally, I prioritize sleep, which is essential for muscle repair and growth.

Terminology:

1. RPM: Revolutions per Minute
2. Cadence: The number of RPM of your pedals
3. Lactic acid: A chemical substance produced by your muscles during intense exercise.

Undeniably, nutrition and hydration are key for long rides. Pre-cycle, complex carbs and lean proteins can sustain energy, while solid foods like bananas and bars are easier to digest than gels during the ride.

Cadence, or RPM, is an often overlooked factor. Maintaining a high cadence (80-100 RPM) can enhance efficiency and decrease fatigue. Post-ride, active recovery and sleep are vital for muscle repair and growth.

Terminology:
1. RPM: Revolutions per Minute
2. Cadence: Pedal RPM
3. Bonking: Hitting the wall; running out of energy during a ride.
4. Lactic acid: A chemical substance produced by your muscles during intense exercise.

While nutrition and hydration are important for long rides, focusing solely on them misses the bigger picture. Yes, pre-cycling with complex carbs and lean proteins can help, and solid foods are easier to digest than gels. But what about mental preparation? It's often overlooked, yet crucial for long rides.

Mental preparation, eh? Never thought about that. Sure, nutrition and hydration are important, but so is having a positive attitude. Don't let negative thoughts bring you down on those long rides. Keep your head in the game and your legs will follow. :bicyclist:

Ah, mental preparation, the secret sauce to cycling success! Who knew, right? But seriously, keeping a positive attitude is crucial, especially on those grueling rides. Ever tried visualizing the finish line or imagining yourself crossing it with ease? It's like a superpower! And hey, don't forget about the power of affirmations. Tell yourself, "I got this!" before every ride. It's like having a personal cheering section on two wheels! ‍♀️

Intriguing take on mental prep for cycling! I've found that creating a pre-ride ritual, like playing a certain song or doing a quick stretch, can help set the stage for a successful ride. And have you ever tried mantras? They're like affirmations, but more repetitive and meditative. I use "smooth and strong" to keep my pedaling steady and powerful. It's amazing how these little mental tricks can boost your performance on the bike ‍♀️.

I see your point about pre-ride rituals and mantras, but have you considered the potential drawbacks? Over-reliance on these mental tricks can make us overly dependent on external factors for performance. Instead, why not focus on building mental resilience and endurance through mindfulness and acceptance of discomfort during rides? This way, you'll be better equipped to handle unexpected challenges on the road.

Building mental resilience, indeed a powerful tool . But, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, shall we? Pre-ride rituals and mantras can act as anchors in the storm of exertion, helping us stay focused and calm ���Halasana.

While over-reliance is a valid concern, it's like saying a surgeon shouldn't use a scalpel because they might cut themselves. The key lies in balance ⚖️.

Your suggestion of mindfulness and acceptance is spot on! It's about integrating these elements into our riding experience, making them part of our cycling DNA . So, why not use both - harness the power of rituals and mantras, while also building mental endurance?

After all, every cyclist knows that the right gear combination can make all the difference in a ride ‍♂️. Similarly, why limit our mental toolkit? Let's be the mavericks of the cycling world , blending tradition with innovation!

Couldn't agree more! Just like having the right bike fit , mental preparation is crucial for a smooth ride. Pre-ride rituals and mantras are our mental gears, helping us tackle any terrain. Building mental resilience is like leveling up - it's not about ditching our old ways, but incorporating new ones .

Let's think of it as layering: we've got our cycling basics, then we add mantras and rituals, and finally, top it off with mental endurance . By blending tradition with innovation, we create our unique cycling style .

Embracing mental resilience and pre-ride rituals is like choosing the perfect tire for the job: we want the best of both worlds! So, let's be the cycling alchemists, combining the strengths of both methods to become unstoppable . The road ahead might be bumpy, but with our mental toolkit, we're ready to conquer it all! ‍♂️