PedalForce offering new frame on a group purchase

WheresWaldo

Sep 18, 2006
The people over at Bikeforums.net have arranged a group purchase of a new frame to be offered by PedalForce next spring. It is a full carbon monocoque frame and full carbon fork. The frame will retail for $800 USD and the fork retails for $150 USD. The package price is $550 USD for frame/fork or $500 for frame only, both these prices include free shipping within the continental US. They will ship internationally and the bike is also available with a component package. This works out to a frameset at about 45% off the retail pricing. After the buy is closed the frameset will be avaiable this spring for the regular $800 USD price. Details are at the BF Groupbuy thread located here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=235874

There is an FAQ to answer questions about the group purchase located here:

http://www.pedalforce.com/groupbuy/faq/index.php

You do not have to be registered at bikeforums but if you are not come check us out they are a very helpful bunch of folks there.

To register for the group purchase and for a list of conditions to the group purchase use the following link:

http://www.pedalforce.com/groupbuy/home/index.php

This is the first time that BF members have tried to use their collective buying power to get a deal on bicycle components. If this works well, we will see about extending it to other vendors and make group purchases of tires, chains among other components. Help make this a success.

I am not affiliated with PedalForce in any way. I do have an agenda, I want to see this work as I am in for two framesets. The first one is for my 15 y.o. daughter, who has informed me that she wants to try racing Cat4 next year and I want to put together a light, stiff climbing bike for her and the other is for me because you can never have too many bike.

I have attached a picture of the frame here:
qs2-s.jpg

For more information, pictures, specifications and geometry information use this link:

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=2579

Information on the fork is here:

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=350

If I had the money to put it through customs and ship it here, I would say yes in an instant. I personally like their fusion but offering a 2007-08 model at a huge discount is great of them.

More information: It uses the same carbon fibre as the new orbea orca frame. Very very stiff, excellent for racing.

(my next bike will be a QS2-S or a fusion with centaur. But it isn't Swiss :()

bobbyOCR said:
If I had the money to put it through customs and ship it here, I would say yes in an instant. I personally like their fusion but offering a 2007-08 model at a huge discount is great of them.

More information: It uses the same carbon fibre as the new orbea orca frame. Very very stiff, excellent for racing.

(my next bike will be a QS2-S or a fusion with centaur. But it isn't Swiss :()
Where are you located? In the US they have decided to ship for free. In other parts of the world the shipping is as listed on their shipping page at this link:

http://pedalforce.com/online/pages.php?page_id=24

WheresWaldo said:
Where are you located? In the US they have decided to ship for free. In other parts of the world the shipping is as listed on their shipping page at this link:

http://pedalforce.com/online/pages.php?page_id=24
Its not the cost of shipping, its the cost of customs. I am in Australia, and the shipping is about $100 AUD but customs adds at least 50% of the value of the frame to the cost by charging you to bring it in. Sad fact, but you live with it.

bobbyOCR said:
Its not the cost of shipping, its the cost of customs. I am in Australia, and the shipping is about $100 AUD but customs adds at least 50% of the value of the frame to the cost by charging you to bring it in. Sad fact, but you live with it.
That seems like a protectionist attitude that inhibits free trade. It's too bad that you have to live with that tariff.

Well perhaps others will take advantage of the offer.

WheresWaldo said:
That seems like a protectionist attitude that inhibits free trade. It's too bad that you have to live with that tariff.

Well perhaps others will take advantage of the offer.
It is very sad. It is in place to stop citizens buying cheaply directly from manufacturers overseas, then importing it at a much lower cost than retail. It discourages people buying, eg cars from Japan. They have to pay not only 10% of what the cost was, but a further fee to open the shipping container to remove it. It adds about $6000 to a $25000 car.

bobbyOCR said:
Bobby i think you really should look into the duty a little bit more..... you will find its not quite that bad.

I have imported A LOT of bike/snow/car parts over the past few years & have only been pinged for duty ONCE - and that was when i bought a full dura ace groupset from the UK due to the fact that the value was greater than AUD1000. the duty on this import was somewhere around 5-8% of the value of the parts + 10% of the value of the shipping charge from vendor. All in all i think i had to cough up for another AUD200 on top of the cost of goods.

Because the value of this frame you are looking at is under AUD1000, you will probably find that you wont pay ANY duty. Though dont hold me to it. i am only going off personal experience.

check out the australian customs website or give them a call

highly recommend it mate - we are being shafted for sporting goods in this country - someone is making a killing (and i dont think its the retailer).;)

Good luck

I agree that somebody is making far too much money on parts. If you go to rollo bike you can get campy at HUGELY reduced prices compared to even Australian mail order. .Same goes for wheels as well. I just paid $220 for a cassette and $90 for a chain. I think i could have saved at least 30% through rullo.

I was of the understanding that customs would charge gst (10%) plus another 5% customs duty. Its that duty that varies of course.

HOWEVER - VAT is over 17% in Europe, so if you can convince a vendor in europe to charge you minus VAT you can actually get parts less than maked value, plus the shipping.

I'm very interested to see what the actual customs regs are on importing bikes and parts.

On the actual topic of the pedal force bikes, I'd like to ride a bike before ordering a frame....thats the biggest thing holding mail order brands back. Most manufacturers want to protect thier loyal retail outlets so won't allow thier products to be sold mail order (anti competitive behaviour perhapes??)

A close friend races surf skis competitively and just got the ultimate weight weenie ski (Epic V10L). In South Africa, the price is OK on skis, such as a Fenn at the cost of $800AUD there. Over here they sell them at $3000-$4000. To order one in, there is the container fee, the customs duty, the GST plus the international shipping on an item that large. It all adds up to be about the same.

I am sure bike parts are not as bad as this, though. I do a bit of work in my spare time at my LBS. This gets pretty good discounts. I don't have the money right now to get a second bike, and I like the geometry of their fusion better.

This is the first weekend that the stuff is available and there only needs to be 33 more ordered to make it official. I have posted on a few other forums that I frequent as I want to complete my stated agenda of getting two of these framesets. I hope some here will take advantage of this group buy.