Pedaling Technique

charliechops

Oct 5, 2005
Howdy do,

I recently had may new bike set up by Qld Sport Medicine. Leon (the bike set up man) instructed me that I need to come through more with my heel on the downward pedal stroke, giving more work to my calves. I had been told years ago to stay flat, hence my riding style. Is there a correct pedal stroke? Will it maximise power etc. Any thoughts would be great. My current style hasn't of course stopped the km's, it would just be good to know so I can improve.

Thanks

charliechops said:
Howdy do,

...Leon (the bike set up man) instructed me that I need to come through more with my heel on the downward pedal stroke, giving more work to my calves...
Thanks
Eh, to me that isn't much of a helpful description, especially the 'come through' bit. Can you explain this a little further?

Pushing down on the pedal with my heel comming down towards the ground first, with my toes pointing upward.This would create my foot position at about a 45 degree angle when pushing down on the crank arm.

charliechops said:
Howdy do,

I recently had may new bike set up by Qld Sport Medicine. Leon (the bike set up man) instructed me that I need to come through more with my heel on the downward pedal stroke, giving more work to my calves. I had been told years ago to stay flat, hence my riding style. Is there a correct pedal stroke? Will it maximise power etc. Any thoughts would be great. My current style hasn't of course stopped the km's, it would just be good to know so I can improve.

Thanks
I've always been given the same advice as you had been - try to keep the foot horizontal throughout the circle.

Ok, I get what you're going on about now. It is hard to say without looking at your pedaling action, but if you feel that your foot is relatively flat (or have even checked it out in a mirror) and you have been told to 'drop your heel' further, then you would have to question the person who did the bike setup in the first place :confused: By dropping your heel too much, it can cause problems with the calcaneal tendon (achilles) which isn't pleasant, as mentioned in the previous link.

You want to keep your foot relatively flat and make sure that the ankle contributes in the final 'flick' to aid in the pedal upstroke back to 'top dead centre'.

But, like I said, I can't make any judgement as I don't know and haven't seen your action. So it might not be as 'flat' as you think it is.

HTH

I wouldn't worry about it. When Steve Hogg set me up he made a comment about my foot position and that I ride slightly toes down but I haven't read in recent reports that this makes any significant difference.
The would think that the best thing is to develope a smooth spin and the best way to do that is to ride a fixie on road or track.
To watch how smooth some cyclist are when warming up on the rollers at track training is just amazing. I still cant let go of the railing!

Cheers

Geoff

charliechops said:
Howdy do,

Thanks
i am a subscriber here http://www.roadbikerider.com/ good source of info. Any way in one of the newsletters they sent out their tip was to pedal in circles, push down and pull thruogh the bottom of the stroke , pull up and push through the top. To pull through the bottom was best explained as scraping the mud off the bottom of your shoes. Other wise let your foot do what it does, if you drop your heels you drop your heels, if you point your toes point your toes. practice your pedalling technique.:)