Pedaling & Training

Rocket_Man

Feb 10, 2006
I have looked over some of the posts...didn't really answer my Q's??

First, what is a good way to train? Right now I spin for about a 1/2 hour to a hour. I vary my gears as I get winded...a little recovery...then hit it 'hard' again for a while...repeat. Is that not a good way to go about training, or is there something better?

Also, what is the "proper" pedal stroke for clipless pedals? A guy at worked talked me into getting them. So far I love them...though haven't actually used them outside riding. I asked him about it, and he pushes them the same way as regular pedals, actually looking confused about what I was asking him.

Thanks for the help!!!

Rocket_Man said:
I have looked over some of the posts...didn't really answer my Q's??

First, what is a good way to train? Right now I spin for about a 1/2 hour to a hour. I vary my gears as I get winded...a little recovery...then hit it 'hard' again for a while...repeat. Is that not a good way to go about training, or is there something better?

Also, what is the "proper" pedal stroke for clipless pedals? A guy at worked talked me into getting them. So far I love them...though haven't actually used them outside riding. I asked him about it, and he pushes them the same way as regular pedals, actually looking confused about what I was asking him.

Thanks for the help!!!
Hi Rocket_Man

Welcome to the forum :)

Posting what you currently do is a good start, with that you could also include goals you'd like to achieve. Things like moving from D grade to A grade (cat 5 - cat 1) or losing weight or riding uphills faster or commuting to work faster etc.. would get you a better answer.

cheers

steve said:
Hi Rocket_Man

Welcome to the forum :)

Posting what you currently do is a good start, with that you could also include goals you'd like to achieve. Things like moving from D grade to A grade (cat 5 - cat 1) or losing weight or riding uphills faster or commuting to work faster etc.. would get you a better answer.

cheers

Yeah, I guess that would help:) My goals right now are to lose weight, tone muscle, and ride faster (commuting to work). In that order preferably...wont be riding to work for aother month or two...stupid snow 'n cold weather!!
D grade to A grade?:confused: ?
hehehe Freakin' newbies!!!! Thanks for the help

Rocket_Man said:
Also, what is the "proper" pedal stroke for clipless pedals?
The beauty of clipless pedals is that they allow you to pedal in any ole way you like. You can pedal up/down, forward/backward, round-n-round, or any combination of those. Your friend at work may have been confused by your assumption that there *was* a "proper" way of pedalling them. Basically, just pedal in the way that feels most comfortable and effective at the time.

Personally, I vary my pedalling stroke slightly at different times of a ride.

Thanks for the help ya'll. I guess there would be no 'proper' way to pedal...but I thought I saw somewhere there was a "most efficiant" (sp) way to pedal. Hmmm...Imagine a clock...power from 3-7, roll from 10-2??? Something like that??? I dunno. I guess so far I vary my pedaling, haven't found a good way for me yet.
:eek::eek:TO MUCH INFO TO QUICKLY:eek::eek: hehehe

Rocket_Man said:
...but I thought I saw somewhere there was a "most efficiant" (sp) way to pedal. Hmmm...Imagine a clock...power from 3-7, roll from 10-2??? Something like that??? I dunno.
Most cyclists believe that there is such a thing as a "correct" pedal stroke. According to all the numerous scientific attempts to check out these pet theories, they're 100% wrong, though. Ignore them.

I guess so far I vary my pedaling, haven't found a good way for me yet.
:eek::eek:TO MUCH INFO TO QUICKLY:eek::eek: hehehe
Yeah, be careful. Most cycling "folklore" (the stuff cyclists tell one another about cycling) is total malarkey. Don't believe everything you read, and keep riding your bike. Over the weeks and months and years you'll get better.

kmavm said:
Most cyclists believe that there is such a thing as a "correct" pedal stroke. According to all the numerous scientific attempts to check out these pet theories, they're 100% wrong, though. Ignore them.

Yeah, be careful. Most cycling "folklore" (the stuff cyclists tell one another about cycling) is total malarkey. Don't believe everything you read, and keep riding your bike. Over the weeks and months and years you'll get better.
"Correct" or not, many coaches recommend one leg cycling exercises, I mean clip one foot off the pedal, and continue riding with the other for a minute or two, then change the feet. Make this once or twice on a training ride, doesn't really increase the efficiency, but may result a smoothier style which is friendlier for joints and knees. At least I got off some knee pains after learning this. But surely, might have happened as well with just riding a lot...

sidewind said:
"Correct" or not, many coaches recommend one leg cycling exercises, I mean clip one foot off the pedal, and continue riding with the other for a minute or two, then change the feet. Make this once or twice on a training ride, doesn't really increase the efficiency, but may result a smoothier style which is friendlier for joints and knees. At least I got off some knee pains after learning this. But surely, might have happened as well with just riding a lot...
I'd be really surprised if a minute or two per leg, once or twice a ride, would be enough to even affect one's pedalling style. I think the pedalling style used during the other couple hours of the ride is probably going to prevail in the muscle-memory department.

If your goal of 'training' is just to stay in shape your pedal stroke doesn't matter at all. Don't get caught up on all the little things if you're a newbie.

As a general suggestion for your goals, Ride hard 3 days a week, light four days a week and you'll be fast in no time. If you ride less than 5 days a week, only ride hard once, maybe twice a week.

frenchyge said:
I'd be really surprised if a minute or two per leg, once or twice a ride, would be enough to even affect one's pedalling style. I think the pedalling style used during the other couple hours of the ride is probably going to prevail in the muscle-memory department.
For a newby like me it really made difference. First time I tried it, my legs like stopped in the bottom of the stroke and had difficulties to continue from that. After couple of tries, the movement was much smoothier. No need to ride hours one legged to learn the smooth or round style pedalling.

Thanks for all your help, but I think I asked the Q to early. I finally got my bike outside for a bit...WOW!!! I love these pedals!!! Now I see why everyone likes them. I also realized that my pedalling changes due to the elevation change.

By the way...Does anyone know how to find the grae of a hill?? In order to get home I have to ride up a .5 mile hill with 200 feet elevation change. I was just wondering. :)

Rocket_Man said:
By the way...Does anyone know how to find the grae of a hill?? In order to get home I have to ride up a .5 mile hill with 200 feet elevation change. I was just wondering. :)
Rise (in feet) divided by Length (in feet).

200 / .5 * 5280 = .076 = 7.6% grade

frenchyge said:
Rise (in feet) divided by Length (in feet).

200 / .5 * 5280 = .076 = 7.6% grade
Huh...Cool, the last 1/10 of it is really steep...probably 8% then. Now...how many times do I have to go up it to make it a Catagorized climb??? hehehe Maybe I'm not ready for that...get winded going up once...but do recover within a block:)