Pedalling Makes a Grinding Sound

franklen

Jul 29, 2003
So this bike (a 5-7 year old Diamondback) that I inherited and am now using to ride to work on is making a grinding sound from the pedals/crankcase/bearings? when I pedal. It doesn't do it constantly but enough to make me think something is wrong. Is there? Is this a sign that I need to deal with something? Replace something? Fix Something? Maybe just Lube Something?

Do you know how well it's been maintained, and what sort of riding it's done? It might just need something as simple as a chain/drivetrain clean, adjustment, and re-lube ..

Some other points to wonder about:

Does the sound happen all the time, or just when you are actually pedalling?

Is there any rhythm to the sound (i.e. does it always happen when you are, say, at the downstroke of your right foot or something), or is it intermittent in nature?

Originally posted by rek
Do you know how well it's been maintained, and what sort of riding it's done? It might just need something as simple as a chain/drivetrain clean, adjustment, and re-lube ..

Some other points to wonder about:

Does the sound happen all the time, or just when you are actually pedalling?

Is there any rhythm to the sound (i.e. does it always happen when you are, say, at the downstroke of your right foot or something), or is it intermittent in nature?

As far as I know, no kind of maintenance work was ever done on it, but then again, it wasn't ridden more than a handful of times, then hung up in a garage.

The sound only happens when pedalling, not ever when coasting. Seems to happen more (get louder) when I am downstroking with right foot, but is generally intermittent in nature.

Originally posted by franklen
As far as I know, no kind of maintenance work was ever done on it, but then again, it wasn't ridden more than a handful of times, then hung up in a garage.

The sound only happens when pedalling, not ever when coasting. Seems to happen more (get louder) when I am downstroking with right foot, but is generally intermittent in nature.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? Thanks -