Pedals - Any experience?

Msa

Guest
I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race most weekends, do 160k club
rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3 times during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.

I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the "walking on ice" syndrome. I just
don't feel safe when hammering out of the saddle.

Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has anyone ridden them? Do they feel
the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?

Mark (UK)

---

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
most
> weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
times
> during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
>
> I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the "walking on ice" syndrome. I
> just don't feel safe when hammering out of the
saddle.

> Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has anyone ridden them? Do they
> feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?

> Mark (UK)

That walking on ice feeling goes away with time, but if you really can't get your head around the
idea, I hear that the SPD-SLs are good pedals. I've got the SPD-Rs now and am looking to upgrade.

Anyone?

Mike

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
most
> weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
times
> during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.

Why do you want to use pedals other than the Look 396's?

They are one of the best pedals around.

Hawke

Hawke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kMdua.763659$3D1.419411@sccrnsc01...

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
> most
> > weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
> times
> > during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
>
> Why do you want to use pedals other than the Look 396's?
>
> They are one of the best pedals around.
>
> Hawke

I was looking for reduced weight and a lower stack height. I also seem to go through bearings pretty
regularly on Looks?

Mark

---

> That walking on ice feeling goes away with time, but if you really can't
get
> your head around the idea, I hear that the SPD-SLs are good pedals. I've got the SPD-Rs now and am
> looking to upgrade.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Mike

I have read that. I really can't see me getting used to it, especially when riding hard out of the
saddle. I was so aware of the sideways movement it was distracting me from riding hard. Suppose I
should give it more time, but I don't think I'll be happy.

Mark

---

Hawke wrote:
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
>
> most
>
>>weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
>
> times
>
>>during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
>

> Why do you want to use pedals other than the Look 396's?
>
>They are one of the best pedals around.
>
> Hawke

My coach used to ride looks a lot, but he'd pull right out sometimes when sprinting. Then again,
he's a beast - he won Cat 2 cyclocross nationals a couple years back. He's a big fan of
speedplays now.

Jon Bond

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > That walking on ice feeling goes away with time, but if you really can't
> get
> > your head around the idea, I hear that the SPD-SLs are good pedals.
I've
> > got the SPD-Rs now and am looking to upgrade.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I have read that. I really can't see me getting used to it, especially
when
> riding hard out of the saddle. I was so aware of the sideways movement it was distracting me from
> riding hard. Suppose I should give it more time, but I don't think I'll be happy.
>
> Mark

IIRC, that feeling went away for me in about a week. The only reason I switched was being locked in
to my clips/straps at the track and wanted something with less float. I didn't find out about the
Zeros until after I'd bought a few pair of SPD-Rs.

Mike

What is wrong with the looks?

I switched from spds back to looks this year and wondered why I ever went with spds in the first
place. Spds are great on mountain bikes where the small cleat allows for a treaded shoe, but looks
feel great, float nicely, and keep my knees happy. I have never ridden speedplay or time pedals,
so I can not comment on how they stack up, but for me, I think looks are much nicer on the road
then spds.

Matt "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
most
> weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
times
> during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
>
> I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the "walking on ice" syndrome. I
> just don't feel safe when hammering out of the
saddle.

> Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has anyone ridden them? Do they
> feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?

> Mark (UK)
>

> ---

Matthew Reed <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Jifua.9734$%[email protected]...
> What is wrong with the looks?
>
> I switched from spds back to looks this year and wondered why I ever went with spds in the first
> place. Spds are great on mountain bikes where the small cleat allows for a treaded shoe, but
> looks feel great, float nicely, and keep my knees happy. I have never ridden speedplay or time
> pedals, so
> can not comment on how they stack up, but for me, I think looks are much nicer on the road
> then spds.
>
> Matt "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
> most
> > weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
> times
> > during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
> >
> > I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the
"walking
> > on ice" syndrome. I just don't feel safe when hammering out of the
> saddle.
> >
> > Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has
anyone
> > ridden them? Do they feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mark (UK)
> >

> > ---
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03

Must admit that I have never pulled out of Looks...ever. I used to run 535's on my dale MTB in the
old days..great pedals. I was just looking for something lighter I suppose...and a lower stack
height, it's supposed to be better but can't talk from experience.

Mark

---

"That walking on ice feeling goes away with time, but if you really can't get your head around
the idea, I hear that the SPD-SLs are good pedals. I've got the SPD-Rs now and am looking to
upgrade. Anyone?

Mike"

I noticed that as well when I got my first "floating" SPD cleats. It felt like I hadn't
sucessfully engaged the clip. I have little if any rotation in my feet while pedalling, so, yes. I
soon learned to ignore
it..

Time Impact Mag.

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Hawke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kMdua.763659$3D1.419411@sccrnsc01...
> >
> > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I
race
> > most
> > > weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
> > times
> > > during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
> >
> > Why do you want to use pedals other than the Look 396's?
> >
> > They are one of the best pedals around.
> >
> > Hawke
> >

> I was looking for reduced weight and a lower stack height. I also seem to go through bearings
> pretty regularly on Looks?
>
> Mark
>

> ---

I used Time for many years, never once pulled out of them. Overall they work well.

Issues:
- made in France, so I will be switching to a different manufacturer when I get back on the bike
- tended to wear out quickly, I typically needed 2 sets a year
- when I first used them, the "walking on ice" feeling took part of one ride to get used to. Float
is good for the knees and may have some benefit with improving pedalling technique ( my guess is
the "walking on ice" feeling is from being sloppy with how one uses their feet on the pedals,
just a guess )

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Matthew Reed <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Jifua.9734$%[email protected]...
> > What is wrong with the looks?
> >
> > I switched from spds back to looks this year and wondered why I ever
went
> > with spds in the first place. Spds are great on mountain bikes where
the
> > small cleat allows for a treaded shoe, but looks feel great, float
nicely,
> > and keep my knees happy. I have never ridden speedplay or time pedals,
so
> > can not comment on how they stack up, but for me, I think looks are much nicer on the road
> > then spds.
> >
> > Matt "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I
race
> > most
> > > weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
> > times
> > > during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
> > >
> > > I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the
> "walking
> > > on ice" syndrome. I just don't feel safe when hammering out of the
> > saddle.
> > >
> > > Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has
> anyone
> > > ridden them? Do they feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but
centre
> > > themselves?
> > >
> > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Mark (UK)
> > >

> > > ---
> > > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03
> > >

> Must admit that I have never pulled out of Looks...ever. I used to run 535's on my dale MTB in the
> old days..great pedals. I was just looking for something lighter I suppose...and a lower stack
> height, it's supposed to be better but can't talk from experience.
>
> Mark
>

> ---

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race most weekends, do 160k
> club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3 times during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
>
> I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the "walking on ice" syndrome. I
> just don't feel safe when hammering out of the saddle.
>
> Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has anyone ridden them? Do they
> feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?

I'm a big fan of the Speedplays...give the "walking on ice feeling" time. Having said that...I have
pulled out of the Speedplays, but not as often as I did in Looks. No experience with DA pedals.

I also scrape the Speedplays a lot less when taking corners.

I'm too fat to worry about the weight of the pedals...but I think the Speedplays are pretty good in
this regard if you are counting grams.

"xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<4%fua.770890$F1.97953@sccrnsc04>...
> I used Time for many years, never once pulled out of them. Overall they work well.
>
> Issues:
> - made in France, so I will be switching to a different manufacturer when I get back on the bike

When will this gayness end?

Deez

"xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4%fua.770890$F1.97953@sccrnsc04...
> I used Time for many years, never once pulled out of them. Overall they work well.
>
> Issues:
> - made in France, so I will be switching to a different manufacturer
when I get back on the bike

> John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

You forgot one issue:

- You are a moron.

Here are some other French owned companies to boycott:

Allegra allergy medication US Divers snorkel and diving equipment Bank of the West of California BF
Goodrich tires BIC razors, pens and lighters Car and Driver Magazine Chanel Chivas Regal Chistian
Dior Club Med Dannon Yogurt Elle Magazine Gucci Jacobs Creek wine Krups coffee machines Maybelline
cosmetics Michelin tires Motel 6 Motown Records RCA and ProScan consumer electronics Red Roof Inns
Road and Track Magazine Royal Canadian Sierra Software and Computer Games Spencer Gifts Stores
Uniroyal tires Universal Studios movies, music and amusement parks Wild Turkey Bourbon Woman's Day
magazine Yoplait

Maybe you'll be successful with your boycott and put all of these companies out of business. All
of the American citizens that work for these USA subsidiaries will then be looking for new jobs.
Great idea.

God Bless America.

I've just put a set of the new DuraAce pedals on and so far I've found them to be excellent. They
have a nice positive engagement and the bearing quality and weight is top end. I've also found the
new cleat is not bad for walking. Of course with any new design there is a risk. If you're looking
for large amounts of float then I would look elsewhere although I suspect Shimano will come out with
a larger selection of cleat floats.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/gadgets/articles/2971.0.html

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

> "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4%fua.770890$F1.97953@sccrnsc04...
> > I used Time for many years, never once pulled out of them. Overall they work well.
> >
> > Issues:
> > - made in France, so I will be switching to a different manufacturer
> when I get back on the bike
> >
> > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
>
> You forgot one issue:
>
> - You are a moron.
>
> Here are some other French owned companies to boycott:
>
> Allegra allergy medication US Divers snorkel and diving equipment Bank of the West of California
> BF Goodrich tires BIC razors, pens and lighters Car and Driver Magazine Chanel Chivas Regal
> Chistian Dior Club Med Dannon Yogurt Elle Magazine Gucci Jacobs Creek wine Krups coffee machines
> Maybelline cosmetics Michelin tires Motel 6 Motown Records RCA and ProScan consumer electronics
> Red Roof Inns Road and Track Magazine Royal Canadian Sierra Software and Computer Games Spencer
> Gifts Stores Uniroyal tires Universal Studios movies, music and amusement parks Wild Turkey
> Bourbon Woman's Day magazine Yoplait
>
> Maybe you'll be successful with your boycott and put all of these
companies
> out of business. All of the American citizens that work for these USA subsidiaries will then be
> looking for new jobs. Great idea.
>
> God Bless America.

Which God?

Hawke

MSA wrote:
> I have read that. I really can't see me getting used to it, especially when riding hard out of the
> saddle. I was so aware of the sideways movement it was distracting me from riding hard. Suppose I
> should give it more time, but I don't think I'll be happy.

Is there actually any _lateral_ movement with the X's (slide straight sideways?), or do you just
mean the rotational float is very free and extensive?

BTW, according to the specs, the new Shimanos have much less float than Look 396's 9 degree setting.
But I'd guess you might like that.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> BTW, according to the specs, the new Shimanos have much less float than Look 396's 9 degree
> setting. But I'd guess you might like that.

With the PP396 you can set the amount of float to 0, 3, 6 or 9 degrees which is why I like them as I
can set my problem right leg to 0 degrees and my left to 3 or 6.

[email protected] wrote:
> You forgot one issue:
>
> - You are a moron.

Surely you mean imbecile ?