Pedals - Any experience?

Donald Munro wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> BTW, according to the specs, the new Shimanos have much less float than Look 396's 9 degree
>> setting. But I'd guess you might like that.
>
> With the PP396 you can set the amount of float to 0, 3, 6 or 9 degrees which is why I like them as
> I can set my problem right leg to 0 degrees and my left to 3 or 6.

I posted the above as a warning in case the OP hadn't thought about the Shimanos having less
maximum float.

~PB

Paul C. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've just put a set of the new DuraAce pedals on and so far I've found
them
> to be excellent. They have a nice positive engagement and the bearing quality and weight is top
> end. I've also found the new cleat is not bad
for
> walking. Of course with any new design there is a risk. If you're looking for large amounts of
> float then I would look elsewhere although I suspect Shimano will come out with a larger selection
> of cleat floats.
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tech/gadgets/articles/2971.0.html

Any comments on the 'lateral' movement?

--
Mark

I can't say I've noticed anything to date. I read the comments about this in VeloNews but thus far
it hasn't been detectable to me.

You can also check out some reviews here:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Pedals/Shimano,PD-7750/PRD_143274_2503crx.aspx

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Paul C. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've just put a set of the new DuraAce pedals on and so far I've found
> them
> > to be excellent. They have a nice positive engagement and the bearing quality and weight is top
> > end. I've also found the new cleat is not bad
> for
> > walking. Of course with any new design there is a risk. If you're
looking
> > for large amounts of float then I would look elsewhere although I
suspect
> > Shimano will come out with a larger selection of cleat floats.
> >
> > http://www.velonews.com/tech/gadgets/articles/2971.0.html
>

> Any comments on the 'lateral' movement?
>

> --
> Mark

"Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<Jifua.9734$%[email protected]>...
> What is wrong with the looks?
>
> I switched from spds back to looks this year and wondered why I ever went with spds in the first
> place. Spds are great on mountain bikes where the small cleat allows for a treaded shoe, but looks
> feel great, float nicely, and keep my knees happy. I have never ridden speedplay or time pedals,
> so I can not comment on how they stack up, but for me, I think looks are much nicer on the road
> then spds.

The Look pedals are great. Looks have several big advantages. Ability to adjust the float on the
fly. Speed play zeros have the ability to adjust float, but you need a philips screwdriver. Not a
real big concern, but the screw is in vulnerable place. I am not sure what Richard Bryan was
thinking when he designed the zeros. The SPD-r's have tension release adjustment only. SPD-rs use
cleats for float adjustment. The Look CX series are quite advanced and weight is reduced to 149
grams per pair.
> Matt "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been riding Look 396's for 8 months now but want to change. I race
> most
> > weekends, do 160k club rides when I have a free weekend and get out 3
> times
> > during the week. Shoes are SIDI Energy.
> >
> > I bought Speedplay X's but cannot get on with them because of the "walking on ice" syndrome. I
> > just don't feel safe when hammering out of the
> saddle.
> >
> > Now, the Dura Ace PD7750's look as if they would do the trick, has anyone ridden them? Do they
> > feel the same as Look, i.e. they float but centre themselves?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mark (UK)
> >

> > ---
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03

FYI

I found this today. I have the "new style" cleat and that's perhaps why I don't notice any lateral
movement. Scroll down the page and there's info on the SPD-SL cleat replacement.

http://www.chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

Cheers,

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Paul C. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've just put a set of the new DuraAce pedals on and so far I've found
> them
> > to be excellent. They have a nice positive engagement and the bearing quality and weight is top
> > end. I've also found the new cleat is not bad
> for
> > walking. Of course with any new design there is a risk. If you're
looking
> > for large amounts of float then I would look elsewhere although I
suspect
> > Shimano will come out with a larger selection of cleat floats.
> >
> > http://www.velonews.com/tech/gadgets/articles/2971.0.html
>

> Any comments on the 'lateral' movement?
>

> --
> Mark

[email protected] (Deeznuts) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<4%fua.770890$F1.97953@sccrnsc04>...

>> I used Time for many years, never once pulled out of them. Overall they work well.

>> Issues:
>> - made in France, so I will be switching to a different manufacturer when I get back on the
>> bike

> When will this gayness end? Deez

Watch your language. You don't have to insult gays when pointing out bigotry.

Of course all this anti-French rhetoric is already hurting us. It seems the French were not all that
ammused about "freedom fries" etc. Airbus recently rejected a bid from the American company Pratt &
Whitney for military transport plane engines in favor of engines from non-American companies. I've
read that Pratt & Whitney's engine was superior to the others and their bid was 20% below the
competitors but Airbus still rejected the bid.

Boycots work both ways you know.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

I have been riding the new DuraAce 7750 system and I have to say that they are excellent. I have
also tried SPD's, and speedplay. The 7750's have a very comfortable feel, and I experience no
lateral movement that others have described. I also have the newer cleats, which shimano provide
free of charge to swap with the ones that came with them.

They have a very efficient power transfer. They do not have a lot of float, but I prefer that. I
have never clicked out accidentally. I really, really like these pedals.

-Cody