Pedals,clipless, Toe Clip, Or Platform

smitgyver

Oct 17, 2015
Does anyone change their pedals to match their different types of riding, I use clipless pedals on my road bikes, but I'll only ride those on open road, I have a hybrid bike that is use in the inner city and find that I frequently have to get off the pedals quickly, so I just use platform pedals, I am concidering changing to a toe clip pedal for the city rides on my hybrid, and perhaps one of my road bikes, does anyone change their pedals to match the traffic conditions, I have never used toe clip pedals, but they seem as if I would be able to get off the pedals quickly with this style pedal...any feedback would be helpful.

Use whatever makes sense to YOU.

I use clipless for all road riding except for my track bike, which has toe clips just...because they are cool and look great on an old steel racing machine.

If you are going to try toe clips and straps withOUT cleats, then yes, you can get your feet out quickly for frequent city stops. Getting re-started will probably be a bit slower until you get on to 'kicking in' to the clips.

Reactions: smitgyver
Thanks for all the feedback, I believe I am going to switch from the clipless to the toe clip, since I'm knockin' on 60's door, and I love being in the traffic, it will offer me that added safety factor...I don't bounce like I use ta...lol

I use Clipless on my road bike, and platform pedals without straps or toeclips on my mountain bike. The mountain bike has never and will never see the mountains. The platform pedals need to be replaced. I am thinking of getting the pedals that have a platform on one side, and clipless on the other. I would appreciate feedback from someone who uses these pedals

I pretty much use platform pedals exclusively. I tried some clipless pedals (I think that's what they're called) at a velodrome some years ago but I really hated the way it felt as I felt very restricted. Since then it pretty much cemented my preference for pedal type.

I like clipless on my road bikes, if I'm on a open road, but I'll switch them out to platform with strapless toe clips for my urban/suburban travels, when I'm in heavy traffic I don't like the feeling of being married to the pedals, on my hybrid I use toe clips with straps, because that is really my city cruiser, I live in Cincinnati/N. Ky area, and the the biking community is rapidly growing and the cities are obliging with nice bike lanes.

Cinci? Take a pistol. Take TWO pistols.

Northern Ky. is just freakin' beautiful! I love the Knob Creek area / Bullitt County.

LOL, I love the Nati...and they show me nothing but love...they appreciate the pedalers, well so far!!! lol