pedals for born again cyclist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 06:34:39 -0000, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Disagree strongly - Look are much less prone to pull-outs and more comfortable on long rides.
>
> >Properly adjusted SPDs don't pull out
>
> As long as you use the M51 cleats, which are not supplied as standard with the pedals, otherwise
> they can pull out quite easily especially when worn.
>
I use standard SPD cleats (not road type although I ride a road bike) with shimano sandals they
don't pull out. The cleats are Ok but the sandals are superb I can wear them as normal shoes.

I'm under the impression (I'm not an expert) that the major benefit of the clipless pedals is not
the power applied on the upstroke, but the ability to spin faster because your feet are securely
held in place.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 17:16:54 -0500, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >SPD cleats seem to last forever. The ones on my commuting shoes date to 1995, and they must have
> >more than 10,000 miles on them by now.
>
> I do over 4,000 miles a year Look cleats last something over 2,000 miles. Not an issue.

2,000, is that all? My present spuds are at around 5,000 so far. Last year my daughter and I _only_
wore spuds for our whole E2E - we didn't take any other shoes and we had no problems at all -
walking around camp sites, into cafes, YHs, shops, pubs....

I have previously ridden Looks and for general riding and touring, and for safety when off the bike,
they verge on the dangerous. They were soon dumped after too much slipping and sliding on hard
surfaces, usually when shopping or stopping at tea stops.

Looks have their place but only if you don't ever need to do any walking more than a few yards.

My advice for touring/general use would always be spuds plus d/s pedals.

John B

>>SPD cleats seem to last forever. The ones on my commuting shoes date to 1995, and they must have
>>more than 10,000 miles on them by now.
>
>
> I do over 4,000 miles a year Look cleats last something over 2,000 miles. Not an issue.

Crikey - quite a debate. At the end of the day its each to his own, but for a first ever clipless
pedal system to try I think spuds are better from the simplicity point of view. I chose spds because
as I only have 2 bikes (one mtb, ****, one road, decentish) and have clipless on only the road. They
mean I can cheaply buy good pedals, and also can use mtb shoes with some good tread so I can
actually walk away from the bike without doing an amphibian impression.

Im sure once your on the bike, LOOKs are better and more efficient. I like SPDs even though they are
a bit minimalist. For commuting and _general_ use the seem the more sensible choice. For racing,
definately LOOKs because then you dont have a practical bike anyway so dont need practical shoes :)

-Alex

Steve Palincsar wrote:

>> It is still possible to walk in Look cleats - rubber cleat covers* help
>> - it's just not as comfortable or quite as safe. I still say they're a good option for road
>> cyclists who don't have to walk /much/.

> Yes, if you don't mind walking like a duck, heels down and toes pointing in the air.

Yes, but it is still /possible/ to walk a short distance without chronic discomfort/danger, and I
expect still possible to walk a long distance in Look cleats if you really have to (I have not yet
had to put this to the test).

> Also, when you have to dismount at the stop sign on the hill, you aren't going to put on the
> cleat cover.

Yes, you just have to be careful. I've not slipped over yet, despite putting foot down on icy
kerbs, etc - and this is with the little rubber thingy removed! (I find doing this helps make
float freeer).

> There's simply no comparison with walking in real SPD shoes. (And I don't mean those "SPD for
> road" things, either; I mean genuine double sided SPD pedals and shoes like Sidi Dominators.)

No-one is claiming they are comparable for walking. For those not expecting to have to walk much or
at all, and are more interested in having the optimum shoes for cycling rather than walking, I still
recommend considering Looks. Yes you sacrifice being able to walk normally, but that's well worth it
for some of us - for some of the time at least (I use other shoes on other bikes). You still CAN
walk when you have to.

Quack quack, ~PB

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Steve Palincsar wrote

>> SPD cleats seem to last forever. The ones on my commuting shoes date to 1995, and they must have
>> more than 10,000 miles on them by now.
>

Cleat life depends on how often feet are unclipped and clipped per mile and how much walking is
done, so it varies a lot from one user to another. I find the frequent stops and starts in London
rapidly wears them. But still the price of replacement Look cleats doesn't put me off.

(Look cleats are £4 a pair from Wiggle).

~PB

John B wrote:
> I have previously ridden Looks and for general riding and touring, and for safety when off the
> bike, they verge on the dangerous. They were soon dumped after too much slipping and sliding on
> hard surfaces, usually when shopping or stopping at tea stops.

Did you use rubber covers?

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > I have previously ridden Looks and for general riding and touring, and for safety when off the
> > bike, they verge on the dangerous. They were soon dumped after too much slipping and sliding on
> > hard surfaces, usually when shopping or stopping at tea stops.
>
> Did you use rubber covers?

I did have covers and used thenm a few times, but found they were a real faff - both always having
to make sure I had them and then putting them on and off.

Additionally I found that while I could also use spd shoes for wearing at work, hobbling around on
Looks gained some odd comments - covers or not.

John B

John B wrote:

>> Did you use rubber covers?
>
> I did have covers and used thenm a few times, but found they were a real faff - both always having
> to make sure I had them and then putting them on and off.

It is a slight faff - but for walking on slippery shop floors..........!

> Additionally I found that while I could also use spd shoes for wearing at work, hobbling around on
> Looks gained some odd comments - covers or not.

All part of the fun of cycling - looking as ridiculous as possible :)

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Cleat life depends on how often feet are unclipped and clipped per mile and how much walking is
> done, so it varies a lot from one user to another.

Quite. Pushing the bike up a concrete path with a slope like the north face of the Eiger every
morning probably accounts for most of the wear in my case.

> But still the price of replacement Look cleats doesn't put me off.

Indeed, and I got 3 pairs for a tenner from SJS once. If the cost of tyres doesn't put you off the
cost of Look cleats won't either. Horses for courses - I like the Looks because you can absolutely
thrash the bike and never worry about pulling out, not the slightest risk. When climbing a 1 in 4
hill, I would rather have Looks between me and the bike than Spuds. When riding 100 miles I would
rather be pushing on Looks than Spuds, any day.

I'm told that Speedplays are just as good.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

"Kvin Stephens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking of getting some new pedals that clip into matching shoes, I understand that there
> are two types ( Look and something else?). My main fear is being unable to get my feet clipped
> into or out of the pedals easily and getting creamed by a lorry at a roundabout. Is one sort
> easier to use than the other, or would i be better sticking with the current muzzle type pedals
> for safety

I would encourage you to go clipless. I returned to cycling after 20 years last August. I bought a
bike for about £260 and got clipless pedals and shoes at Christmas for £80 in total. The difference
it makes really is worth 1/3rd of bike's price. When I last rode bikes in my teens/early 20's I used
toeclips, but I decided to go clipless this time round after reading reports of them in cycling
newsgroups. I'm a leisure cyclist and have only done about 500 miles at an average speed of about 13
mph since buying the bike. The difference between the feel of a trainer on a plastic platform pedal
and a stiff cycling shoe on a clipless pedal is astonishing. Even for my low-speed, low-mileage
usage I believe clipless pedals are worthwhile.

I suggest you gather information on the various major systems - SPD, Look, and Time. Work out what
the pros/cons of each system are and how these correlate to your needs (e.g. whether it's possible
to walk comfortably in the cleated shoes). You can get a lot of information using Google Groups to
search this newsgroup and others. A single discussion, like this, probably won't cover all the
issues. Also, have a look at the on-line retailers' pictures of the pedals to find out what people
are talking about.

Each system has its advocates and detractors. Some people complain of "hot-spots" and numbness with
certain systems and others assert that a system has caused them knee pain. Some complain that their
shoes are prone to pulling out of the bindings with some systems. Then there's aspects like
"float", double-sided vs. single-sided pedals, multi-release vs. single-release cleats (maybe an
SPD-only thing), ability to walk in the shoes, etc... You'll soon find a good list of keywords to
pump into Google.

I chose Shimano SPDs - the M424 pedal and the M037 shoe. The pedal has bindings on both sides and
incorporates a plastic cage. Shimano shoes have a reputation for narrowness. My cycling shoe is size
45, where I normally take a 44. My walking boots are also 45, but I can fit thick socks inside them,
which I can't with the Shimano shoe. I opted for the model of pedal after doing on-line research, as
suggested above. The shoe was simply the first I found that fitted well.

I set the release tension on the binding to the lowest before fitting the pedals to the bike (and
it's a fiddly job even then). I'll increase the tension if my shoes pull out while riding (no, I
don't ever stand up to pedal). I rode them and spent some time adjusting the seat height and
position of cleat on the shoe sole to get comfortable. I've also practised clipping into and out
of the bindings. However I suspect that any fall caused by failure to unclip will be the result
of a lapse in concentration some time after I've got well used to the pedals. Years ago, after
living and riding in Austria for a couple of months I pulled out of a car park on my motorbike.
The local townsfolk appeared to take a great interest in this foreign-registered machine,
watching me as I rode along a lakeside. Then I saw the line of traffic approaching on the same
side of the road as me...

Mr. Chilliwack

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John B wrote:
> > I have previously ridden Looks and for general riding and touring, and for safety when off the
> > bike, they verge on the dangerous. They were soon dumped after too much slipping and sliding on
> > hard surfaces, usually when shopping or stopping at tea stops.
>
> Did you use rubber covers?
>
> ~PB

I couldn't agree more. The covers for Look cleats are a pre-requisite for anyone with these pedals.
They're great for walking on, no more slipping; they're light and easy to carry - just stick 'em in
your back pocket and, best of all, they improve the life of the cleat beyond 10,000 miles. In fact,
my last pair of cleats have outlasted the cheep Look pedals I had a the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.