Pedals for Fixed Gear Bike

Kalukis

Guest
Well, my new fixed gear bike is on the way (thanks Sheldon).
As this is my first fixed gear, I've got more than a couple
of questions. The main one is, what do people recommend for
pedals? I'm using Look/Campy style pedals on my road bike. I
understand that double sided pedals may be a better choice
on a fixed gear--due to the need to get quickly clipped in
to a bike with no freewheel. I've got a pair of Speedplay
X-1's that I am ok with; seems like the extra float might
help while I get used to and adjust the new bike. Any
suggestions?

-"FG Newbie" Kalukis

Recommend Time mtb pedals/cleats, due to consistency and
reliability. The Speedplays may be ok as well, I have never
tried them.

Robert

shimano spd. that's what i have on my fixie and clip in and
out no problems.

Kalukis wrote:
> Well, my new fixed gear bike is on the way (thanks
> Sheldon). As this is my first fixed gear, I've got more
> than a couple of questions. The main one is, what do
> people recommend for pedals? I'm using Look/Campy style
> pedals on my road bike. I understand that double sided
> pedals may be a better choice on a fixed gear--due to the
> need to get quickly clipped in to a bike with no
> freewheel. I've got a pair of Speedplay X-1's that I am ok
> with; seems like the extra float might help while I get
> used to and adjust the new bike. Any suggestions?
>
> -"FG Newbie" Kalukis

> I understand that double sided pedals may be a better
> choice on a fixed gear--due to the need to get quickly
> clipped in to a bike with no freewheel. I've got a pair
> of Speedplay X-1's that I am ok with; seems like the
> extra float might help while I get used to and adjust the
> new bike. Any suggestions?

Use what you like. I never had a problem with any pedal
although clipless pedals of any type are much easier to use.
Don't worry about single or double-you have plenty of time
to get into the pedal. Phil Brown

R15757 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Recommend Time mtb pedals/cleats, due to consistency and
> reliability. The Speedplays may be ok as well, I have
> never tried them.

i also use time atac pedals on my fixed gear. mostly 'cause
all (errr, both) my bikes use 'em. there are some advantages
to single sided pedals on a fixed gear (eg, time cyclos) if
you wish to say, practice such silly things as riding
backwards or trackstands.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 02:31:53 GMT, "Kalukis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Well, my new fixed gear bike is on the way (thanks
>Sheldon). As this is my first fixed gear, I've got more
>than a couple of questions. The main one is, what do people
>recommend for pedals? I'm using Look/Campy style pedals on
>my road bike. I understand that double sided pedals may be
>a better choice on a fixed gear--due to the need to get
>quickly clipped in to a bike with no freewheel. I've got a
>pair of Speedplay X-1's that I am ok with; seems like the
>extra float might help while I get used to and adjust the
>new bike. Any suggestions?
>
>-"FG Newbie" Kalukis

I'm on double sided SPDs for the sake of consistency, M515
on my road fixie, M434 without the cage on my (fixed wheel)
rollers bike, M515 on my singlespeed MTB, but single sided
A535 on my fixed wheel time trial bike because I only have
to clip in once, at the start line, so the pedal flipping
delay is a non-issue. Look type always seemed easier to
flip in the old days, so if I were you I'd stick with the
Looks that you're used to. Getting clipped in fast is only
an issue if you're in a hurry or starting on a steep
uphill, otherwise you can just amble along with your foot
on the wrong side of the pedal until you have time to get
clipped in.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary

kalukis-<< As this is my first fixed gear, I've got more
than a couple of questions. The main one is, what do people
recommend for pedals? >><BR><BR>

I switched to Speedplay Zeros as they are 'step onna bug'
two sided entry.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Kalukis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, my new fixed gear bike is on the way (thanks
> Sheldon). As this is my first fixed gear, I've got more
> than a couple of questions. The main one is, what do
> people recommend for pedals? I'm using Look/Campy style
> pedals on my road bike. I understand that double sided
> pedals may be a better choice on a fixed gear--due to the
> need to get quickly clipped in to a bike with no
> freewheel. I've got a pair of Speedplay X-1's that I am ok
> with; seems like the extra float might help while I get
> used to and adjust the new bike. Any suggestions?
>
> -"FG Newbie" Kalukis

A couple of weeks ago, somebody suggested these gems:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Pedal/product_22385.shtml

"Kalukis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, my new fixed gear bike is on the way (thanks
> Sheldon). As this
is my
> first fixed gear, I've got more than a couple of
> questions. The main
one
> is, what do people recommend for pedals? I'm using
> Look/Campy style
pedals
> on my road bike. I understand that double sided pedals
> may be a
better
> choice on a fixed gear--due to the need to get quickly
> clipped in to a
bike
> with no freewheel. I've got a pair of Speedplay X-1's
> that I am ok
with;
> seems like the extra float might help while I get used to
> and adjust
the new
> bike. Any suggestions?

Go with the Speedplays. I'm surprised no one mentioned pedal
clearance through corners now that you cannot freewheel. I
have some old Looks in my parts bin with nicely chamfered
outer edges from that great big carborundum that passes
beneath. This may not be an issue if you already have good
clearance but Speedplays are also one of the easiest to get
in and out.

Phil Holman

David L. Johnson wrote:

> IMO it's not a good idea to use platform pedals on a
> fixed gear. You want your feet to stay on the pedals, no
> matter what.

I think that was a joke.

As an aside, those are _not_, strictly speaking,
"platform pedals" though this term has lately been widely
misused to apply to various plain pedals that don't use
any retention system.

I am probably fighting a losing rear-guard action her, but
I'd like to see the original meaning of "platform pedals"
preserved.

Traditional platform pedals are single-sided pedals
intended for use _only_ with clips and straps. Instead of
having sharp edges digging into the bottoms of your feet,
they have a flat "platform" that is comfortable even with
relatively soft-soled street shoes. The platform also makes
entry into the clips easier, because your toe never bumps
up against the front plate of the pedal, as it can with
"rat trap" type pedals.

Platform pedals also have a curved lip at the back of the
pedal that makes it extra easy to flip the pedal into the
upright position. As a result, with true platform pedals,
entry into the toe clips is vastly easier than with
conventional vertical-plate type metal pedals.

Because they're single-sided, true platform pedals also give
much better ground clearance when cornering than ordinary
toe-clippable pedals.

The classic platform pedal is the Lyotard Marcel
Berthet #23, see:

http://www.speedplay.com/pedalmuseum/images/1948Lyotard_Mar-
cel_berthet.jpg

Before the popularity of clipless pedals, a number of
manufacturers made very nice platform pedals, including SR
and Specialized. Probably the all-time best were Shimano's
PD-T100, marketed (unsuccessrully) as a "triathlon" pedal.

If you want to ride a fixed gear bike on the street, with
clips and straps, platform pedals are the very best option.

Unfortunately they're nearly extinct. As far as I know, the
only true platform pedals currently available are the
excellent MKS GR-9s.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html#platform

Sheldon "Used To Ride Platform Pedals Exclusively" Brown
| Even if you do learn to speak correct English, | whom
| are you going to speak it to? | --Clarence Darrow |
+---------------------------------------------------+ Harris
Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

I use Shimano SPD pedals. Double sided. I've seen others use
Look and Time road pedals. I prefer the no look step on them
and you will get clipped in SPD. I would suggest putting on
some platform pedals, without toeclips or straps, for your
first brief test ride so you don't have to worry about
getting clipped in. Or put your Look pedals on and just do a
brief test ride with sneakers.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>Unfortunately they're nearly extinct. As far as I know, the
>only true platform pedals currently available are the
>excellent MKS GR-9s.

It is easy to break off the tab at the back on these,
however; but fortunately they can still be easily spun round
when the tabs are gone.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>Unfortunately they're nearly extinct. As far as I know, the
>only true platform pedals currently available are the
>excellent MKS GR-9s.

It is easy to break off the tab at the back on these,
however; but fortunately they can still be easily spun round
when the tabs are gone.

"Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

[snip non-frightening details]

> Go with the Speedplays. I'm surprised no one mentioned
> pedal clearance through corners now that you cannot
> freewheel. I have some old Looks in my parts bin with
> nicely chamfered outer edges from that great big
> carborundum that passes beneath. This may not be an issue
> if you already have good clearance but Speedplays are also
> one of the easiest to get in and out.
>
> Phil Holman

Dear Phil,

Aaaargh! Somehow this aspect of fixed-gear riding had
escaped me--you can't raise the inside pedal in a bad
corner.

Glad I didn't find out the hard way.

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Glad I didn't find out the hard way.

i sure did. i had a minor crash making a hard turn onto
nicollet mall in minneapolis .. when the pedal hit the
pavement it messed up my angle into the corner and i hit the
curb at a little under 20mph.

the other thing that escaped me was the real problem with
fixed gears and pedals isn't getting into them but getting
out of them if your preferred foot is high. you can't spin
back to get room to twist out.
--

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Glad I didn't find out the hard way.
>
> i sure did. i had a minor crash making a hard turn onto
> nicollet mall in minneapolis .. when the pedal hit the
> pavement it messed up my angle into the corner and i hit
> the curb at a little under 20mph.
>
> the other thing that escaped me was the real problem with
> fixed gears and pedals isn't getting into them but getting
> out of them if your preferred foot is high. you can't spin
> back to get room to twist out.

Dear David,

Ouch! Glad you're still here.

Makes me want to stick with my plain pedals and sneakers,
even though I once managed to ground a pedal disastrously in
a familiar corner.

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:27:06 -0500, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:
>As an aside, those are _not_, strictly speaking,
>"platform pedals" though this term has lately been widely
>misused to apply to various plain pedals that don't use
>any retention system.
>
>I am probably fighting a losing rear-guard action her, but
>I'd like to see the original meaning of "platform pedals"
>preserved.
>
>Traditional platform pedals are single-sided pedals
>intended for use _only_ with clips and straps. Instead of
>having sharp edges digging

Be a leader, Sheldon. Coin a new word for 'plain' pedals
that is sufficiently intuitive that it will stick. We need
something to describe pedals that are not clipless, not
platforms, and have no retention mechanism except possibly
the ability to add straps and clips. It needs to be as
sticky a word as 'clipless' and 'platform' are. Do it!

Nashbar describes them as 'caged', but I'm not entirely
sure of the accuracy of that term, and it's also not
sufficiently sticky.
--
Rick Onanian

On 08 Mar 2004 22:06:59 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Glad I didn't find out the hard way.
>
>i sure did. i had a minor crash making a hard turn onto
>nicollet mall in minneapolis .. when the pedal hit the
>pavement it messed up my angle into the corner and i hit
>the curb at a little under 20mph.

On the dozen or so occasions where I have struck a pedal on
the ground in a turn, I found that the rear wheel would just
hop to the side opposite to the pedal, effectively
shortening the turn. It has never caused me to crash, though
I still try to avoid doing it.