Pedals??Look or Shimano SPD-R/SL

Jonny

May 23, 2002
Hi,

I just went out for a spin on my bike and realised that my Look 396's have a broken tension system. This means im up for some new pedals.

Im thinking of moving over to Shimano SPD-R's or SPD-SL's. What are peoples opinions on these pedal systems????Is it worth swapping over to this system or should i stick with Looks?

I also have carnac ellipse shoes and wonder whether it is necessary to get another insert to fit the shimano cleat?

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Originally posted by Jonny
Hi,

I just went out for a spin on my bike and realised that my Look 396's have a broken tension system. This means im up for some new pedals.

Im thinking of moving over to Shimano SPD-R's or SPD-SL's. What are peoples opinions on these pedal systems????Is it worth swapping over to this system or should i stick with Looks?

I also have carnac ellipse shoes and wonder whether it is necessary to get another insert to fit the shimano cleat?

Thanks in advance

Jonny

The SPD-SLs will bolt right to the same pattern that the Looks do, or at least they did on my Nikes. I had looks and went with the PD-7750 Dura Ace pedals, nice. Less slop in the float, lighter, better looking, no need for cleat covers, lowers your feet on the crank. Not saying Looks are bad, just I think the Dura Ace pedals are an improvement.

Allan

The spd-r don´t work well in the wet , the spd-sl seems to have a cleat that is very vulnerable to damage if you have to put a foot down hard , ok if you can afford the cleats , I´d stick to Look if I was you --- they don´t keep changing the cleat system when lack of reseach shows up problems in real usage .

Originally posted by el Inglés
I´d stick to Look if I was you --- they don´t keep changing the cleat system when lack of reseach shows up problems in real usage .

Doesnt that translate into "they dont keep improving the cleats even when there are known problems"? The SPD-SLs are much nicer than the looks I used for a while, much less slop. Besides, now I dont have to use the silly little covers :)

Allan

Shimano have already had to do a cleat recall ( in Australia ) and this is not the first time that they have launced a product with out adequite FIELD research , and remember Armstrong´s problems with cleat disengagement / inability to enter in this and last years tour ? , when it works it´s a good pedal but I still say that the cleat is vulnerable to sudden impact damage rather than the ( hopefully ) progresive wear / damage of a Look cleat ( which are expensive for a slab of plastic ) and seeing how fast Shimano change systems will cleats be available in a couple of years ? The Look system is not perfect but the cleats are available everywhere and should be for years to come , if only using up present stocks with dealers / shops . But it´s all about personal choice in the end , but if you chose a pedal ´cause it look´s ( sic ) cute .......................

Shimano have already had to do a cleat recall ( in Australia ) and this is not the first time that they have launced a product with out adequite FIELD research , and remember Armstrong´s problems with cleat disengagement / inability to enter in this and last years tour ? , when it works it´s a good pedal but I still say that the cleat is vulnerable to sudden impact damage rather than the ( hopefully ) progresive wear / damage of a Look cleat ( which are expensive for a slab of plastic ) and seeing how fast Shimano change systems will cleats be available in a couple of years ? The Look system is not perfect but the cleats are available everywhere and should be for years to come , if only using up present stocks with dealers / shops . But it´s all about personal choice in the end , but if you chose a pedal ´cause it look´s ( sic ) cute .......................

I cant speak for last years tour but in this one the only problem I saw was the one time he had a problem after his big crash. The fact that he got up that quick after the crash and was catching everyone is a miracle, and I cant possibly imaging faulting him for not clipping in good, I would have been so flustered it would have taken me five minutes to clip in.

As far as changing pedal systems, SPDs have been around a looooong time, whos to say SPD-SL wont be?

Do you have any links to studies etc where the SPD-SL has suffered damage from sudden impacts that Looks have survived?

You are right, it is a personal choice. Look at the stats below and draw your own conclusions.

Stats:
Price - Look CX-6 ti=$299 Shimano PD-7780=$217
Weight - Look CX-6 ti=300g Shimano PD-7780=248g
Stack Height - Look CX-6 ti=21.3mm Shimano PD-7780=13.7mm
Surface - Look CX-6 ti=1403.3 MM² Shimano PD-7780=2106.0 MM²

So from these I can see where the SPD-SLs are cheaper, lighter, lower and have more surface area for less hot spots. Add to that the cleats are more walkable and have wear indicators which Looks do not. Of course the Looks come in colors (red or black) and the SDP-SLs do not :)

Allan

I had both the CX6 and the Shimano, but my feeling with the LOOKs was just better, allthough I couldn`t establish a big difference. Sure the LOOKs are more expensive, but I mean... HEY ... They are carbon :)

For shimano to get over the Look patent they had to make a design compromise , and that is that the front part of the cleat is more vulnerable to impact damage when putting a foot down hard . This occurs more in traffic than in races so it´s important to take it into consideration as a busted cleat miles from home is a pain , how many people carry a spare cleat ?
As a pedal it has many good qualities , but so did the spd-r and that´s now history so make your choice an informed one and ask about then choose , don´t just read the adverts , and the statistics don´t always tell you anything usefull . If you can try before you buy , because at the top levals these are expensive pedals , one of our members paid 500 euros for a pair of cx-7 ´s that now cost 350 euros , so don´t buy ANYTHING the first year it´s launced as the design problems occur then ( with shimano anyway ) and usually the price falls .

For shimano to get over the Look patent they had to make a design compromise , and that is that the front part of the cleat is more vulnerable to impact damage when putting a foot down hard . This occurs more in traffic than in races so it´s important to take it into consideration as a busted cleat miles from home is a pain , how many people carry a spare cleat ?
As a pedal it has many good qualities , but so did the spd-r and that´s now history so make your choice an informed one and ask about then choose , don´t just read the adverts , and the statistics don´t always tell you anything usefull . If you can try before you buy , because at the top levals these are expensive pedals , one of our members paid 500 euros for a pair of cx-7 ´s that now cost 350 euros , so don´t buy ANYTHING the first year it´s launced as the design problems occur then ( with shimano anyway ) and usually the price falls .

First off this isnt Shimano's first year for this design. Second, to get over the Look patent they could have made "compromises" or IMPROVEMENTS, since Look has made no improvements in years I would bet on the latter. Lastly, I would like to see some documentation on this supposed impact damage theory of yours. Saying it doesnt make it so :)

A quick Google for Shimano Cleat Problem turns up nothing. Last years PD-7750 Dura Ace pedals (the ones I have) ranks 4.86 out of 5 on RoadBikeReview.com with 21 reviews as compared to the best Look with 15+ reviews (19 on this one) of 4.26 out of 5. Not one person in 21 reviews mentions any problems with the cleat breaking so I am wondering where you heard this.

Allan

Originally posted by flea77
First off this isnt Shimano's first year for this design. Second, to get over the Look patent they could have made "compromises" or IMPROVEMENTS, since Look has made no improvements in years I would bet on the latter. Lastly, I would like to see some documentation on this supposed impact damage theory of yours. Saying it doesnt make it so :)

A quick Google for Shimano Cleat Problem turns up nothing. Last years PD-7750 Dura Ace pedals (the ones I have) ranks 4.86 out of 5 on RoadBikeReview.com with 21 reviews as compared to the best Look with 15+ reviews (19 on this one) of 4.26 out of 5. Not one person in 21 reviews mentions any problems with the cleat breaking so I am wondering where you heard this.

Allan

There was a "recall" but it doesn't seem to really be based on the cleats failing, just a better design I guess.
http://chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm at the bottom

There appears to be a lot of brand loyalty being talked about here. I don't use either type of pedal. I have used look pedals and will never use them again. If you happen to be a competative cyclist (which I believe Jonny is) and have anything that resembles a good kick when sprinting, my choice would be not to use Look. I once had a pair of Look pedals, I found that when accelerating I was pulling the spring of the back plate back and that caused the front of the cleat to pull out of the pedal. Both pedals and cleats were brand new, so none of the usual replies about getting new cleats. I have not heard of this happening with the SPD series of pedals. As to the question of stack height, from a coaching perspective, the ultimate aim is to get the sole of your foot as close as possible to the axle of the pedal. So the SPD pedals win there also. But when push comes to shove, personal preference will always win out regardless of facts and figures. Good luck with your choice Jonny.

I ended up buying the SPD-SLs. I saw the price of the Looks with float :eek: and went with the Ultegra SLs(over $100 less). Went out for a quik spin yesterday to adjust them and they feel pretty good.

I pull out of Looks pretty easily when at accelerating at traffic lights so I have cranked up the pedal tensioning on the SLs because it isnt very tight at the half setting. Hopefully i wont have any problems with pulling.

thanks for everyones input

Jonny

I have the SPD-SLs (just the R535s) on my bike, and I admit I am usually a fair-weather rider. In Melbourne's Around the Bay ride last weekend, my cleats became very difficult to disengage after 3 hours in the rain. Whether that was a case of the lube being washed out of the mechanism (?!) or what I'm not sure, but it led to a few embarrassing moments.
I haven't seen anything else about this in Google either, but can at least add some anecdotal evidence to el Inglés' assertions...

The R535 is an SPD-R pedal. SPD-SL looks like a really slim, metallic Look pedal, and a Look-style three bolt triangular cleat with yellow (or red) tips.

Not that many people seem to like SPD-R, especially now that SL has come out.

Originally posted by Cletus75
I have the SPD-SLs (just the R535s) on my bike, and I admit I am usually a fair-weather rider. In Melbourne's Around the Bay ride last weekend, my cleats became very difficult to disengage after 3 hours in the rain. Whether that was a case of the lube being washed out of the mechanism (?!) or what I'm not sure, but it led to a few embarrassing moments.
I haven't seen anything else about this in Google either, but can at least add some anecdotal evidence to el Inglés' assertions...

That is an SPD-R pedal, not the new SPD-SLs which are MUCH better.

Allan

Thanks for the correction Flea. So it's worth upgrading to SPD-SL then ('cos they're definitely going, one way or another. I was thinking of going back to Look, so this thread interested me!).

But now I am thoroughly confused... I just jumped on the Shimano site and the replacements for my pedals, the R540's, it describes as both SPD-R and SPD-SL within a paragraph. So which are they? Nice work Shimano...

"PD-R540 SPD-R Pedal ... blah blahthen ..
Type: SPD-SL
Road Clearance: 34 degrees etc
http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD-R540

I guess the Shimano web site person needed a little more coffee the morning they did that .. those look just like SPD-SL pedals to me.

Cletus 75 , if you do have the SPD- R then it´s possible that you have the early cleats so you should be able to eliminate your problem by buying the later teflon coated cleats . One question , you are remembering to oil / grease the cleats occationally aren´t you ? Plastic cleats are self lubricating but metal needs a little help to ensure a long life and good function .
Jonny : glad your happy with your choice , I don´t have an axe to grind as I use SPD ( mtb type ) on both my bikes and use LX on the one and Ultegra group on the other and for my feet the recessed cleat is the only choice , but I still say don´t ever buy anything the first year it´s launched as design problems can and have slipped through in the past and I´m sure will again .

ps can anybody explain how the manufacturers justify the price of spare cleats ? the Look is a block of plastic , the spd can be got for 15 euros a pair when the pedal 505 is 30 euros cleats included ; now it ain´t a great pedal but come on ..........