Pedals - Look or SPD

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.

    I have just bought a road bike and now need some.

    Thanks.

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. If you want to look "important" Look. If you want to be practical, SPD.

  3. andrew wrote:
    > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Andrew

    Andrew, this has just been discussed at some length on uk.rec.cycling. You might want to take a look
    at it. Summarising, it seems that the following are the main considerations:

    1. Look pedals are more comfortable because they're bigger and don't cause pressure points in
    the shoes.

    2. SPDs shoes are easier to walk in off the bike. Look shoes can be very slippy.

    3. Pull-outs are less frequent on Look pedals.

    Let's see what the others say!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I went with SPD's so I can use the same shoes for my MTB and my road bike. Practical and they work
    for me. Course, I can't sprint....

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Andrew

  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Another option: Speedplay Frogs. I think they're wonderful. No springs, no moving parts. They rotate
    quite a bit ("float") without disengaging, so I find the Frogs more comfortable than SPD.

    Frogs are sold as MTB pedals. But mine is a road bike and the new Frog II cleats fit SPD road shoes.
    Speedplay also makes road pedals Zero and X Series, but I've not tried those. And haven't used Look
    so I can't speak about them.

    www.speedplay.com

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Andrew

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > andrew wrote:
    > > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    > >
    > > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Andrew
    >

    > Andrew, this has just been discussed at some length on uk.rec.cycling.
    You
    > might want to take a look at it. Summarising, it seems that the following are the main
    > considerations:
    >
    > 1. Look pedals are more comfortable because they're bigger and don't cause pressure points in the
    > shoes.

    Not an issue.

    > 2. SPDs shoes are easier to walk in off the bike. Look shoes can be very slippy.
    >
    > 3. Pull-outs are less frequent on Look pedals.

    Really!? I don't believe it.

    > Let's see what the others say!

    There's my $0.02

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Another option: Speedplay Frogs. I think they're wonderful. No springs, no moving parts. They
    > rotate quite a bit ("float") without disengaging, so I find the Frogs more comfortable than SPD.
    >
    > Frogs are sold as MTB pedals. But mine is a road bike and the new Frog II cleats fit SPD road
    > shoes. Speedplay also makes road pedals Zero and X Series, but I've not tried those. And haven't
    > used Look so I can't speak about them.

    Great pedals but downside is bearings are more vulnerable (esp. inboard) and require frequent
    service/lubrication (I recommend a greasing after a wet ride), including pedal/cleat interface that
    requires "dry lube" and grease injector. Expensive cleats. For the money I'd get the Shimano 959's.

    Robin Hubert

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.

    The biggest fact seems to be "walkability". Walking in Look cleats is nearly impossible. With SPDs,
    you can get walkable shoes, with recessed cleats and rubber(ish) soles. You can also buy "road" SPD
    shoes that are as unwalkable as Look equipped shoes. Another factor with SPD is that Shimano has an
    "SPD-R" cleat (not interchangeable) for one line of road-only pedals. Standard SPD pedals use one of
    two SPD cleats, "single-release" and "multi-release". The former are better if you worry about
    pullouts, the latter, if you worry about getting out easily. Another fact to consider when getting
    pedals is single vs. double-sided. Single-sided can be a bit of a nuisance (minor) in stop & go
    conditions -- they can be really annoying on night rides.

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I started out using SPD's and the were hard to get into and out of. I switched to looks (look
    alike) and I love them. The difference in walking between SPD and look seemed minimal, they're
    both slippery.

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Andrew

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Robin Hubert wrote:

    >> 1. Look pedals are more comfortable because they're bigger and don't cause pressure points in the
    >> shoes.
    >
    > Not an issue.

    It is. I've used both systems with the same shoes. Look feels very different, and I don't get the
    same discomfort I did from SPD's, despite using stiff carbon soled shoes.

    >> 2. SPDs shoes are easier to walk in off the bike. Look shoes can be very slippy.
    >>
    >> 3. Pull-outs are less frequent on Look pedals.
    >
    > Really!? I don't believe it.

    I do. I pulled out a few times with SPD, never with Looks.

    >> Let's see what the others say!
    >
    > There's my $0.02

    There's my 2p.

    ~PB

  11. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  12. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I'm not sure..weak, pathetic geezer I suspect. Whenever I ride with a friend of mine who has real
    talent, he beats me like a rented mule. Maybe I'm a slow-twitch muscle guy or something...

    Cheers!

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > S. Anderson wrote:
    > > Course, I can't sprint....
    >
    > Whys that then?
    >
    > --
    >
    > -Alex
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > [email protected]
    >
    > http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling/ http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    > ----------------------------------

  13. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Robin Hubert wrote:
    >
    > >> 1. Look pedals are more comfortable because they're bigger and don't cause pressure points in
    > >> the shoes.
    > >
    > > Not an issue.
    >
    > It is. I've used both systems with the same shoes. Look feels very different, and I don't get the
    > same discomfort I did from SPD's, despite using stiff carbon soled shoes.

    Ok, admittedly, I've never used Looks, but I used to use Speedplay X pedals and concurrently used
    Frogs. I couldn't tell the difference then. That with SIDI shoes (Genius and Dominators). Maybe I'm
    not very perceptive, or my feet or tough, or numb. Now I've switched completely to Shimano SPD's
    (959's to be exact) and I haven't noticed a problem, let alone a difference in comfort, long or
    short haul.

    > >> 2. SPDs shoes are easier to walk in off the bike. Look shoes can be very slippy.
    > >>
    > >> 3. Pull-outs are less frequent on Look pedals.
    > >
    > > Really!? I don't believe it.
    >
    > I do. I pulled out a few times with SPD, never with Looks.

    You can jack up the tension on the 959's so much that I'm confident you'll never pull out
    by accident.

    > >> Let's see what the others say!
    > >
    > > There's my $0.02
    >
    > There's my 2p.

    Sorry to say, but I think your 2p is worth slightly more than my $.02. (not that your opinion is,
    though! ;-)

    Robin Hubert

  14. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    Same here. I had a lot of trouble using SPD's when I first started riding. Someone suggested I try
    Looks. I did and have been using them ever since. They are awkward to walk in, but what the heck I'm
    out there to ride most of the time, not walk, and I find the Looks much easier to get in and out of.
    Probably the biggest downer with Looks is the frequent cleat replacement..about every 2,000-3,000
    miles. They are plastic and don't seem to last very long.

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I started out using SPD's and the were hard to get into and out of. I switched to looks (look
    > alike) and I love them. The difference in walking between SPD and look seemed minimal, they're
    > both slippery.
    >
    > "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    > >
    > > I have just bought a road bike and now need some.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Andrew

  15. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Summarising, it seems that the following are the main considerations:
    >
    >1. Look pedals are more comfortable because they're bigger and don't cause pressure points in the
    > shoes.

    My experience but I have never used SPDs with stiff road shoes, only MTB shoes.

    >2. SPDs shoes are easier to walk in off the bike. Look shoes can be very slippy.

    Not doubt about that, I do walk in my Looks but it accelerates cleat wear.

    >3. Pull-outs are less frequent on Look pedals.

    This is certainly my experience. I tend to be pretty wildly aggressive at times, SPDs are not as
    secure (IME), I have pulled out several times, once left me in the middle of traffic lying on the
    pavement, not a good feeling.

    My thinking is that SPDs are basically a MTB pedal, they work nicely for that. The priorities for
    off road pedals are walkability and surefire and rapid release, a rider cannot risk a difficult
    pullout because off road, going down happens often and it happens quickly.

    On the road things are different, pullout is more risky because of traffic and the need to exit
    quickly is not so important because it is rare to fall.

    Personally I find SPDs to be vague in comparison to Look pedals, with Looks, the snap as the lock in
    can be heard across the road. With SPDs, I find I need to tentatively pull up to make sure I am
    locked in. Looks require more effort to release and there is no hope of an exit without the proper
    heel rotation.

    So, for many riders SPDs are fine, especially when used in conjunction with stiff shoes. But if you
    are a guy like me who occasionally likes to go wild and put some real power down then I think the
    added security of the Looks is worthwile.

    Jon Isaacs

  16. andrew-<< Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal
    preference.

    Put three people in a room and ask about pedals, get four opinions.

    Gonna walk around in cycling shoes a lot? Get two sided pedals, like Time ATAC or Speedplay Frogs
    and MTB shoes.

    Not?-Look at Look, Speedplay, Campagnolo, for not expensive, well made and good working pedals.

  17. Ray

    Ray Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Ok, admittedly, I've never used Looks, but I used to use Speedplay X pedals and concurrently used
    > Frogs. I couldn't tell the difference then. That with SIDI shoes (Genius and Dominators). Maybe
    > I'm not very perceptive, or my feet or tough, or numb.

    Hi Robin,

    Reasonable comparison but wrong in this case. I spent several years with Speedplays and agree that
    the feel of the X-series and Frogs is nearly indistinguishable. Hence, I went with Frogs for the
    walkability. But the difference between Looks and SPDs is HUGE in comparison. BTW, the difference
    between Looks and Speedplays is also huge - not to say one is better than the other - its all
    personal preference, but they're very different feeling pedals/cleats. Since my knees decided they
    didn't like the Speedplay float anymore, I find that I prefer Looks on my road bikes (for long
    and/or fast rides) and SPDs on my cyclocross, commuter, and fixed gear bikes which I rarely ride
    more than 40 miles at a time.

    -Ray

  18. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    > Gonna walk around in cycling shoes a lot? Get two sided pedals, like Time ATAC or Speedplay Frogs
    > and MTB shoes.

    Or SPDs. I just picked up a pair of Shimano T-091 touring shoes on a closeout:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=13073

    (These are last year's model) They have a smooth, soft rubber sole that makes it easier to walk on
    pavement than my Sidi MTB shoes with hard plastic lugs. But if I'm planning to walk long distances
    in my bike shoes, I use these instead:

    http://tinyurl.com/5m3l

  19. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:27:20 -0000, "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference.
    >
    >I have just bought a road bike and now need some.

    I ride with Looks on my racing bikes and SPDs on my touring and mountain bikes, so hopefully my
    input is unbiased.

    Looks are much easier to clip into than SPDs. I've found unclipping from SPDs easier than Looks, but
    not by much.

    Walking around in SPD equipped shoes is generally much easier because of the recessed cleats. Look
    equipped foot gear is awkward to walk around in, and sometimes quite slippery. I've been asked by at
    least one snack shop not to enter their store because of liability concerns. They let me in when I
    showed them my Kool Kovers. Bottom line, if you anticipate doing much walking between stints on the
    bike, I'd recommend SPDs.

    If you're concerned about weight, the combination of Look pedals, cleats, and a good pair of road
    shoes (mine are Sidi Energy) will probably be lighter than a corresponding SPD setup.

    Bottom line, once I'm clipped in and pedalling I'd be hard pressed to notice any difference.

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >Can anyone offer any advise which are best? Or is it purely a matter of personal preference. I have
    >just bought a road bike and now need some.

    If you intend on walking much, go with SPD.