Pedals: Look versus SPD on racing bike

edcoepo

New Member
Dec 29, 2003
For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

Thanks,
Edco

edcoepo wrote:

> For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
> Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
> anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
> SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I have Look (black cleats, fixed foot angle) on the road bike and SPD on the shopping bike with
child seat. I like the convenience of being able to walk with the SPD setup but I really hate its
float characteristics and general loose feeling. This is why I have decided to continue with Look on
the road bike, which is where I do my serious riding.

I've been able to extend the life of the Look cleats by carrying a pair of cleat covers, about USD
12.00, for when I walk around on them. Very worthwhile investment which may solve your wear problem.
But you may have already tried these . . .

Have you moved the MTB/SPD pedals onto your racer and gone for a long ride to test?

/Robert

I put my MTB spd's (ritchey logic pros I think)on my road bike and am very happy with them. I didn't like the excessive float the Looks had. I also had a hard time clipping in with them. The Spd's I have are actually lighter too, and you can walk in a store without busting your **** because of that big plastic cleat! I've ridden 4 hours with no problem on the road bike, but around 7 on the MTB.

"edcoepo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
> Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
> anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
> SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I use plain SPD cleats on all my bikes, road & off-road. I also do ultra-cycling events, no problem.

SPD's are hit or miss as far as foot comfort/numbness. Many roadies like the look platform for it's width, esp. important w/ shoes who's soles aren't ultra-stiff. Complaints I've heard about spds are due to shoe flexing over the smaller platform and fatiquing the foot. Rumor has it this is why Armstrong didn't go w/ the smaller spds and instead opted for the look copy of the older shimano pedals and why shimano re-introduced the larger platform. As far as replacing look cleats, use the look copy from Exus. Works as good as the original looks, but around 50% less money.

Originally posted by edcoepo
For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

Thanks,
Edco

edcoepo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of
> the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I've been using Eggbeaters on a road bike, and the longest rides I did this year were about 220
kilometres. I haven't noticed any discomfort from the small size of the pedal, but then my shoes are
pretty stiff. I think the shoes make a huge difference, and with good shoes SPD pedals should be
just fine. I personally see no reason to bother with Look-style pedals, which as you said, do have
their inconveniences.

-as

You can also go to beebops or frogs. they both work for both bikes.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"edcoepo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
> Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
> anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
> SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

Put your MTB pedals on your road bike, go for a five hour ride, and find out.

Matt O.

edcoepo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
> Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
> anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
> SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I did a 6-day, 600-mile tour a couple of years ago using SPDs without incident. FWIW, I use Ultegra
SPDs (old!) and have size 13 feet, so if size is going to matter, I'd expect to run into the
problem. So far, I haven't.

Originally posted by edcoepo
For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

Thanks,
Edco

I used SPDs on my road bike for about two years and then changed to Look. I much prefer the Look system. I find them easier to get into and out of. In addition, the wider platform of the Looks makes even relatively short rides more comfortable and enjoyable.

I understand that the Shimano Durace pedals, although expensive, are very easy to walk in, have a raised surface around the cleat so that they will not wear out when walking, and offer a very large platform for pedalling.

Jlsmith

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:11 GMT, edcoepo
<[email protected]> wrote:
>shoes. Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact
>surface of the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I went from Wellgo R4 (SPD-R, supposedly a clone of Dura Ace) to the $20 Nashbar Special SPDs and
loved them. For $20, Nashbar is also offering an SPD by Ritchey and a Nashbar brand SPD with a cage
(if you ever want to ride in non-bike shoes). I bought one pair from their returns section for
something like $12.

For $20, you can try it without having to switch pedals back and forth from your MTB every day until
you decide.

I got Eggbeater S pedals for christmas and rode them once; they feel the same, which is to say,
great. They sure look cool, although that's not enough for me to justify spending the money on
them myself.

--
Rick Onanian

Have you considered time impact pedals for the road bike.

The cleats are expensive, but should last a long time. www.cylingnews.com has an article about the
pedals on test, and photos after 15,000km. The cleat doesnt look very worn (would have gone thru 2
Looks in that mileage).

I've had them for about 3000km so far - with no problems.

Paul Jones

"edcoepo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
> Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
> anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
> SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?
>
> Thanks, Edco

edcoepo <[email protected]> wrote:
>For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
>getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace the
>Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the shoes. Did
>anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact surface of the
>SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)?

I've used a couple different SPD pedals and they have sucked.

I was a long time Look user (also Shimano PD7400s, their dura-ace "look" pedal). But this year I
switched to SPD-SL ultegra pedals, and they're basically the Look system re-engineered to work
better. The cleats don't wear out, they're lighter, and easier to clip in.

The DA SPD-SLs are lots more expensive than the Ultegra ones but from what everyone's told me,
functionally no different.

Eric

jlsmith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> edcoepo wrote:
> > For several years, I've been using Look pedals on my racing bike and SPD's on my MTB. Now, I'm
> > getting tired of replacing my Look cleats every time they wear out. I'm planning to replace
> > the Look pedals with SPD pedals (not SPD-R or SPD-SL) because of the built-in cleats in the
> > shoes. Did anyone ever do the same thing and is now happy or unhappy? Is the smaller contact
> > surface of the SPD cleats an issue on longer rides (above 5 hours)? Thanks, Edco
>
> I used SPDs on my road bike for about two years and then changed to Look. I much prefer the Look
> system. I find them easier to get into and out of.

Is that with single-sided ("road style") or double-sided ("MTB style") SPD pedals?

For road-riding in anything resembling traffic, I think the overwhelmingly easier pedal entry with
double-sided pedals more than offsets the minor weight increase. Plus if one of the pedals' cleat
attachment breaks, you still have the other side of the pedal.

Given that Shimano constantly redesigns bicycle components to obtain slight ergonomic improvements
(did anybody really have difficulty operating downtube shifters?), it's amazing they would still
build single-sided road pedals. A double-sided pedal eliminates an increment of difficulty greater
than whatever convenience STI shifters provide.

Missing a cleat engagement on a single-sided pedal can cause a crash, or a painful bruise to the
ankle when your foot slips off and you whack the pedal. It's an unnecessary headache when double-
sided pedals are widely available.

Granted, rider skill can eliminate this problem, but that's not the Shimano design philosophy (see:
STI shifters and the attempts to create computerized shifting).

Here's some techno-overkill I could actually use: a way to display animated weather radar maps on my
bicycle, along with my current position and projected route, so I could avoid riding into the
thunderstorms that plague the Ohio valley throughout summer. I can check the radar maps before I
leave for a ride, but two hours later the situation can change---a lot. Actually I only need the
radar map, because I know my own position on the roads I'm familiar with.

Who cares how easy the STI shifters are compared to primitive downtube shifters if I'm riding
directly into a thunderstorm I can't see over the surrounding trees yet?

> In addition, the wider platform of the Looks makes even relatively short rides more comfortable
> and enjoyable.

I find the quality of the shoe matters more with SPD cleats. A well-made (i.e. expensive) shoe feels
fine with SPD cleats in my opinion. With the cheaper shoes I have tried, the smaller SPD cleat is
easy to feel bulging into the sole.

Obviously everybody has to try a setup for themselves to make up their own mind. I just want to
point out that the quality of the shoe becomes more important with pedal systems that use smaller
cleats and therefore concentrate forces into a smaller part of the shoe. So one should consider the
shoe before judging a cleat system to be inferior.

Rider strength and pedaling style may also be factors. Or some people might be more sensitive to a
given amount of slop.

I might be aware of some SPD slop when I start a ride, but after a bit I don't think about it again.
I will say that Looks feel funny after I have been using SPDs for a while. Switching between the two
can seem a bit odd. But I suppose if a person did that a lot, it would probably stop feeling odd.

> I understand that the Shimano Durace pedals, although expensive, are very easy to walk in, have a
> raised surface around the cleat so that they will not wear out when walking, and offer a very
> large platform for pedalling.

I like Sidi mountain bike shoes for road riding. Their drawback is cost, but the cost is in line
with other "quality" shoes. Having a walkable sole is nice not only for walking into the occasional
food store or around the occasional road block, but also for getting a firm footing when it becomes
necessary to put a foot down at a stop sign. The roads where I ride have some stop signs at roads
with steep grades, and occasionally cyclists with slippery road shoes have fallen down when making a
foot-down stop.

The footing problem for a tandem captain is, of course, correspondingly greater.

An ATB shoe weighs a little more. It's nice to have the raised sole around the cleat so I don't have
to bother with carrying cleat covers. I had a pair of cleat covers for my Looks at one time, but
naturally I lost them somewhere.

-- Daniel Mocsny

Katherine-<< Have you considered time impact pedals for the road bike.
>><BR><BR>

Of the three we have sold, all 'came back'. Clicking, busted toe on one, we don't sell them
anylonger.

i'm in the market for clipless pedals and have been looking at the speed play X/3s if anyones had any experience with them, do they perform well? I'm not looking to do much racing but i do do lots of long rides and am looking for something comfortable, long lasting, and a tad bit stylish :).

tommo-<< i'm in the market for clipless pedals and have been looking at the speed play X/3s if
anyones had any experience with them, do they perform well?
>><BR><BR>

Yes but with essentially unlimited float, they take some getting used to.