Pedals - Need your advice for upgrading

Winne

Jul 30, 2003
On my touring bike, I currently use Shimano PD-M324 pedals, which are SPD on one side, platform on the other.

To keep up with the other old ladies on club rides, I now have a sleek road bike. I am tired of transferring the pedals from one bike to the other. Plus, the new bike deserves something less clunky.

I am considering Shimano PD-R600 or PD-R540 pedals. Can I use my same (two-hole) shoes with these pedals? Is it possible to ride "unclipped" on these pedals for a short distance, like I do on the M324 pedals? Do you have any thoughts about the differences between the R600 and R540 pedals, or any other pedal you would recommend? THX.

If your shoes are SPD cleats only, then the PD-R type won't work. I bought nice new PD-M540 for my new road bike last weekend and put in 4 hours on it yesterday, very nice and fast, easy in and out.

Thx for your thoughts. I bought PD-M540s today, and did a test ride around the neighborhood. Easy to clip in/out, similar to my previous pedals, but lighter and double-sided. Also got another set of shoes - Shimano sandals! I live in U.S., in Florida, where it is hot as, well, HOT, so sandals are a wonderful option. Think I will enjoy these pedals for a long time - THANKS.