Pedals - Need your advice for upgrading

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Winne, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Winne

Winne New Member

On my touring bike, I currently use Shimano PD-M324 pedals, which are SPD on one side, platform on the other.

To keep up with the other old ladies on club rides, I now have a sleek road bike. I am tired of transferring the pedals from one bike to the other. Plus, the new bike deserves something less clunky.

I am considering Shimano PD-R600 or PD-R540 pedals. Can I use my same (two-hole) shoes with these pedals? Is it possible to ride "unclipped" on these pedals for a short distance, like I do on the M324 pedals? Do you have any thoughts about the differences between the R600 and R540 pedals, or any other pedal you would recommend? THX.

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

If your shoes are SPD cleats only, then the PD-R type won't work. I bought nice new PD-M540 for my new road bike last weekend and put in 4 hours on it yesterday, very nice and fast, easy in and out.

3. Winne

Winne New Member

Thx for your thoughts. I bought PD-M540s today, and did a test ride around the neighborhood. Easy to clip in/out, similar to my previous pedals, but lighter and double-sided. Also got another set of shoes - Shimano sandals! I live in U.S., in Florida, where it is hot as, well, HOT, so sandals are a wonderful option. Think I will enjoy these pedals for a long time - THANKS.