pedals off ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...

    My pedals are lubed, yet they've done 2000 miles ... the lube is gone ...

    Also, will my aheadset be messed up if I twist my bars?

    Nick

    Tags:

  2. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    A pedal spanner or an allen key

  3. James Godley

    James Godley New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    What you need is a 15mm spanner. Bit of a wierd size - as far as I know the bike pedal is one of the only things that needs a spanner of this size....... its worth buying one, using the next size up will NOT work, and allen keys dig into your palms.

    As for handlebars, twisting them to one would be a good idea. A REALLY good idea is to nip to your local bike shop and ask if they've got any old bike boxes left over. They usually have a few knocking about, and they'll let you have one for free. Whip off the front wheel, and the saddle, twist the bars round, lob the bike in, and slot the front wheel beside the frame.

    If you don't use a box, make sure you protect the deraillieur, its VERY vunerable and likely to get bent.....

    Remember to let your tyres down a bit - or they'll explode!!

  4. pig pog

    pig pog New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2003
    There is a school of thought that says if a bike looks like luggage it will be treated like luggage (ie piled in a heap) but if it looks like a bike it will (or is more likely to be) be treated with more care. Turning handlebars is a mixed blassing as it makes the bike harder for a luggage handler to wheel.

    very good point

    This is an old wives tale (since they moved over to pressurised cabins) although it is still beleived by some airline staff

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...

    If not cycling to airport, remove pedals or loosen them first with a proper pedal spanner*. Some
    pedals can be tightened with an allen key but I personally don't think tight enough like that. I'll
    leave further advice to regular flyers!

    > My pedals are lubed, yet they've done 2000 miles ... the lube is gone

    What type/make/model pedals? Lube in the bearings has gone?

    > Also, will my aheadset be messed up if I twist my bars?

    Yes, but it can be reset afterwards with an allen key or two. See the Park Tools website for
    instructions [seems to be down at the moment].

    * eg. one from www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp

    ~PB

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...
    >
    > My pedals are lubed, yet they've done 2000 miles ... the lube is gone ...
    >
    > Also, will my aheadset be messed up if I twist my bars?

    Have a test run or two at home before you fly -- suggests a man who fortunately arrived very early
    at Frankfurt Airport and then spent about 2.5 hours of his and, it seems, half of the Lufthansa
    engineering staff's, time getting a pedal off.

    Take them off, rotate the bars, put everything back and then go for a ride to check you know its OK.
    Point & grunt works in many LBS' around the globe -- but a chat with Fred in 'your' LBS before you
    fly is easier :~).

    For pedals a spanner or allen key is all you need. For an A-Head set its a couple of Allen keys. If
    you are bagging the bike you may need to remove the bars -- again, try before you fly.

    Pop a film canister of grease in with your kit. You can then lub the treads on reassembly.

    Don't worry -- its not rocket science.

  7. Ian

    Ian Guest

    elyob must be edykated coz e writed:

    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...
    >
    > My pedals are lubed, yet they've done 2000 miles ... the lube is gone ...
    >
    > Also, will my aheadset be messed up if I twist my bars?
    >
    > Nick

    I use a spanner for the pedals or a suitable socket for the crank.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...

    Tip from a friend : the pedal spanner on an alien tool is too short, but you can use a seatpost to
    make a longer lever.

    cheers, clive

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> writes:

    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...

    15mm open ended spanner. The trick is to remember that one pedal (being dyslexic I can never
    remember which) has a reverse thread, and that if you raise either pedal, stick the spanner on so it
    points to the back of the bike, and press down on the spanner, that is the correct unscrewing
    direction.

    ;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

  10. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...

    A 9/16" spanner will do the trick (pref. with a long handle - lots of torque to make the job
    easier). Unless you're unfortunate enough to have the carbon or thermoplastic versions of Time
    ATACs - no provision on the axle for a spanner with these, so an allen key and lots of luck are
    required :)

    David E. Belcher

  11. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > elyob wrote:
    > > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...
    >
    > If not cycling to airport, remove pedals or loosen them first with a proper pedal spanner*.

    Best to do this even if cycling. You should be confident that you can dismantle the bike on arrival
    at the airport and not have to battle with seized threads at the last minute. Pedals always seem to
    be the worst affected.

    John B

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What's the tools to get off pedals etc off etc before a flight ...
    >
    > Tip from a friend : the pedal spanner on an alien tool is too short, but
    you
    > can use a seatpost to make a longer lever.

    Further tip. Make sure you are turning the spanner the right way especially when using a long
    spanner. The threads in alloy cranks can strip easily leaving you little time to fix the problem
    before a holiday.

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > 15mm open ended spanner. The trick is to remember that one pedal (being dyslexic I can never
    > remember which) has a reverse thread,

    Left side -- left thread.

  14. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > 15mm open ended spanner. The trick is to remember that one pedal (being dyslexic I can never
    > > remember which) has a reverse thread,
    >
    > Left side -- left thread.

    But what the hell is a "left thread" ? And which side is "left" ?

    You really haven't got the idea here have you? Some people cannot easily remember their left
    from their right. Every time I do up or undo an ordinary bolt I have to think hard about which
    way is correct.

  15. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    W K wrote:

    > You really haven't got the idea here have you? Some people cannot easily remember their left from
    > their right.

    Absolutely. The way I remember it is if I'm approaching a T junction and have to cross the traffic,
    that's "right". If don't have to cross traffic, that's "left".

    This system works well until we go abroad. My wife is now pretty adept at reversing most directions
    I give her on holiday. ;-)

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > But what the hell is a "left thread" ? And which side is "left" ?
    >
    > You really haven't got the idea here have you? Some people cannot easily remember their left from
    > their right. Every time I do up or undo an ordinary bolt I have to think hard about
    which
    > way is correct.

    Well it must be very hard if you are terminally technically confused. It seems (in this country at
    least) its OK to claim such confusion -- but, frankly, there is no excuse for ignorance.

    It amazes me (a dyslexic) how many people presume an inability to spell (in a language where there
    is only the slightest of hints as to the spelling in the sound of the word) identifies one as a
    moron but the inability to add two numbers is shrugged off as understandable given the
    difficulties of obscure higher mathematics. (My dyslexia is not an excuse -- its a reason to use a
    spell checker).

    Sit on the bike, looking forward and its pretty bloody obvious which is the left side. (Hint --
    the chain is not on that side) If you have a mental block on left and right (my sister does) look
    at the back of your hands. The thumb & index finger of your left hand spells L (of course, if you
    look at the palms its your right hand that spells L but I cannot be arsed to deal with the
    terminally stupid).

    A right hand thread is the conventional one. Clockwise to tighten. Now, just to exercise any
    atrophied techie brain cells I will leave you to work out what a Left hand thread is and which way
    to turn it to tighten (hint -- its the other way).

    By the way, think carefully when using an allen key from the back of the pedal. Nothing has changed,
    you still need to turn the thread the correct way -- but you are applying the tool in a cack-handed
    sort of way. You are wise to spend a moment thinking which way you need to turn any thread --
    everyone should.

    /end rant

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > 15mm open ended spanner. The trick is to remember that one pedal (being dyslexic I can never
    > > > remember which) has a reverse thread,
    > >
    > > Left side -- left thread.
    >
    > But what the hell is a "left thread" ? And which side is "left" ?
    >
    > You really haven't got the idea here have you? Some people cannot easily remember their left from
    > their right. Every time I do up or undo an ordinary bolt I have to think hard about which way is
    > correct.

    Me too, and unscrewing something upside down or with a reverse thread regularly baffles me. On the
    other hand I have no difficulty at all with those trick clocks which run anticlockwise, and indeed
    didn't even notice there was anything odd about the first one I saw. That's why I have these
    little heuristics like the one above. They work and I get by in life and 99% of the time no-one
    notices anything.

    ;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

  18. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > W K wrote:
    >

    > > You really haven't got the idea here have you? Some people cannot easily remember their left
    > > from their right.
    >
    > Absolutely. The way I remember it is if I'm approaching a T junction and have to cross the
    > traffic, that's "right". If don't have to cross
    traffic,
    > that's "left".
    >
    > This system works well until we go abroad. My wife is now pretty adept
    at
    > reversing most directions I give her on holiday. ;-)

    me too

    !

  19. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rlin.de...

    > It amazes me (a dyslexic)

    > The thumb & index finger of your left hand spells L (of course, if you
    look
    > at the palms its your right hand that spells L but I cannot be arsed to
    deal
    > with the terminally stupid).

    Yeah, well different people have different skills.

    You aren't a bit aspergers too are you?

  20. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Yeah, well different people have different skills.

    Yes -- but delighting in ignorance doesn't count as a skill.

    > You aren't a bit aspergers too are you?

    Acerbic, yes -- aspergers, not that I am aware.

    Next time I think of a useful mnemonic I will keep it to myself in case I upset someone.