pedals off ...

Clive George wrote:

> Once you've got used to pedals, just wait for bottom brackets! (and for tandems with single bike
> cranksets on the front).

And the funny five-sided doofer that conjoins a wheel and a Challenge monoblade...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> This is true - they won't explode. However, it seems that air travel regulations forbid, without
> exception, the transport of compressed gases in the hold. At least, that's what a man said in the
> latest CTC rag.

Although of course this 'without exception' rule is routinely ignored for aerosol cans (which are
also often highly inflammable). And we all know about the fact that matches etc are not banned in
hand baggage, due to intensive lobbying by the tobaco industry, even though they have demonstrably
been used starting fires (and even for igniting attempted shoe bombs).

Basically, it's a load of bollocks. That's life. Doesn't mean we have to like it, though!

James

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed

> pig pog wrote:

> > This is an old wives tale (since they moved over to pressurised cabins) although it is still
> > beleived by some airline staff

> This is true - they won't explode. However, it seems that air travel regulations forbid, without
> exception, the transport of compressed gases in the hold. At least, that's what a man said in the
> latest CTC rag. It is, however, a deeply stupid rule to bicycle tyres, since even in the highly
> unlikely event of their exploding, the amount of damage caused to anything other than themselves
> would be nil.

I read that and wondered about fizzy drinks and champagne.

Nobody insisted I deflate my (Pneumatic) wheelchair tyres when I flew to Israel recently. Baggage
handlers bust one of its fittings though :-(.

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:12:59 +0100, "Tim Downie"

> >Absolutely. The way I remember it is if I'm approaching a T junction and have to cross the
> >traffic, that's "right". If don't have to cross
traffic,
> >that's "left".
> >
> >This system works well until we go abroad. My wife is now pretty adept
at
> >reversing most directions I give her on holiday. ;-)
>

> Phew. I thought I was the only one.
>
> When driving abroad, it's quite easy to remember that the steering wheel is kept to the curb side.

Ah well, I often borrow or hire cars abroad. I also had a LHD car in the UK for several years.

That the words don't stay in my head doesn't mean I can't get everything else OK.