Pedals? Shoes? Not sure on this one...

cucamelsmd15

Apr 6, 2005
Ive been having lots of problems in my training lately, and I cant seem to trace it to one specific component. Ive tried moving my cleats around on the shoes, and changing shoes altogether, but nothing seems to fix it.

The problem is, I can ride for about 25 miles, and then massive foot cramps set in. I cant seem to do anything about it, and its not specific to whether Im pedaling or coasting. It usually comes after a specific period of time, around 45 minutes. Its not dehydration or anything like that either.

Hoping someone can help me out here?

cucamelsmd15 said:
Ive been having lots of problems in my training lately, and I cant seem to trace it to one specific component. Ive tried moving my cleats around on the shoes, and changing shoes altogether, but nothing seems to fix it.

The problem is, I can ride for about 25 miles, and then massive foot cramps set in. I cant seem to do anything about it, and its not specific to whether Im pedaling or coasting. It usually comes after a specific period of time, around 45 minutes. Its not dehydration or anything like that either.

Hoping someone can help me out here?
Have you looked at cleat alignment/ angle, cleat side to side position, seat height. What type of pedals are you using ?

kleng said:
Have you looked at cleat alignment/ angle, cleat side to side position, seat height. What type of pedals are you using ?
Yep, looked at the angle. Side to side isnt really adjustable. Pedals are Speedplay Zero's...

Seat height is fine, I actually went back and got re-fitted this spring.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Yep, looked at the angle. Side to side isnt really adjustable. Pedals are Speedplay Zero's...

Seat height is fine, I actually went back and got re-fitted this spring.
What shoes ? What part of the foot is cramping, toes etc. could it be an arch support issue combined with stiff carbon soles

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Ive been through a pair of Lake, SIDI, and now Specialized BG shoes and Im STILL having this problem:(

Usually its the arch and outside of my foot that cramp.

Bike fit has been checked and rechecked. It has to be something limited to shoes/pedals or my stroke.

For what it's worth, I had cramping problems, quads, calves, feet, everywhere. Started taking a magnesium supplement. Still some problems, but greatly improved. What do you have to lose by trying it?

cucamelsmd15 said:
Bike fit has been checked and rechecked. It has to be something limited to shoes/pedals or my stroke.
Have you considered trying a larger shoe OR thinner socks?

If you think your current socks are thin as they can be, then try ONE ride (or, just sitting/putzing around at home for an hour, and then two hours, et cetera) without socks just to see if it is a simple circulatory problem from having a too-tight pair of shoes. Try pulling the molded liner out & slip a flat (sans arch support) Dr. Scholl type (e.g., Oder Eater, whatever brand you choose) shoe liner for one-or-more rides ... or, cut pieces of cardboard to fit on the respective footbeds if you don't want to spend the couple of bucks for the test rides.