pedals

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr Flowers, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Mr Flowers

    Mr Flowers Guest

    im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is this
    wise and if so will any shoes fit?

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mr Flowers wrote:
    > im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is this
    > wise and if so will any shoes fit?

    Yes, and No, respectively.

    Looks have a bigger platform and a bigger cleat than SPuDs so
    there's a better base for pedalling. But you'll need a shoe with a
    3 point fixing to take a Look cleat, which means (a) a smaller
    range of shoes to play with, most of which will have (b) "tottering
    mode" rather than "walk mode" off the bike. That's not an issue on
    the bike, but if you ride out into the country and then wander
    round places on foot, or do your Tesco run by bike etc. as some of
    us do then Looks would quite possibly be A Mistake (Helen Wafflycat
    has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion
    is that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and
    nobody else has seen the like).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    (Helen Wafflycat
    > has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion is
    > that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and nobody else
    > has seen the like).
    >
    > Pete.

    That is because the PSF can access what mere mortals cannot ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Mr Flowers
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is
    > this wise

    Yes. You'll get more comfort and better aerodynamics.

    > and if so will any shoes fit?

    No. SPD and most other MTB pedal systems use two bolts across the width
    of the ball of the foot. Look and most other road systems use three
    bolts in a triangular pattern. Some shoes have five bolt holes and can
    take both types. Don't go for a solution which involves an 'adaptor
    plate' - it just adds weight for no benefit.

    Also be aware that most road shoes are not comfortable to walk in for any
    distance more than a dozen yards, and may be very slippery when walking.

    ;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
    ;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
    ;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
    ;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
    ;; life a tiny bit.

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Also be aware that most road shoes are not comfortable to walk in for any
    > distance more than a dozen yards, and may be very slippery when walking.

    Fond memories of the Sunday club runs down south: A dozen or so cyclists
    in full gimp gear clicking and sliding their way into various cafes.

    Jon

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > (Helen Wafflycat
    >
    >> has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion is
    >> that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and nobody
    >> else has seen the like).
    >>
    >> Pete.

    > That is because the PSF can access what mere mortals cannot ;-)

    More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

    > And self-tapping screws!

    Any screw is self tapping if you have a big enough hammer ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

    And self-tapping screws!

    Jon

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > Jon Senior wrote:
    > > Tony Raven wrote:
    > >
    > >> More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

    > > And self-tapping screws!
    > >

    > Any screw is self tapping if you have a big enough hammer ;-)

    My theory is that she relieved them from some poor sod she'd just Paving
    Slabbed.
    The slab hit him from a high trajectory squarely on the head and compressed
    his body, Road Runner stylee, recessing the cleats in the process.
    PSF carefully prised off the shoes before burning the body and presented
    them to Vernon as a warning of his fate should he "come out" in his b*b
    shorts.

    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P