Pedals

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Joel Markovitz, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I recently bought a used Cannondale road bike but the previous owner kept his pedals. This is my
    first road bike and I want to know some opinions of pedals I am considering. They are:

    Look 337 or, if I can find a bargin, 396 Shimano R-535 Speedplay X/3

    I've got no serious knee problems, and would like to keep it that way. So any and all feedback is
    quite welcomed!!

    Thanks,

    Joel

    Tags:

  2. Mike Lana

    Mike Lana Guest

    I used speedplay for a while and I wll never use them again. I realized after an injury that I was
    ridding with my heal in a bit on my left foot. The result Petela Femoral Syndrom. It was my bad form
    but the extra float allowed me to make the mistake. I ride Look PP296 now and love them. Just the
    right ammount of float and if I go out of form It feels uncomfortable. Hope this helps Mike

  3. Topdog

    Topdog Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Lana) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I used speedplay for a while and I wll never use them again. I realized after an injury that I was
    > ridding with my heal in a bit on my left foot. The result Petela Femoral Syndrom. It was my bad
    > form but the extra float allowed me to make the mistake. I ride Look PP296 now and love them. Just
    > the right ammount of float and if I go out of form It feels uncomfortable. Hope this helps Mike

    Good point. Standard Speedplays are NOT for everyone! For some people, the extra float allows them
    to pedal in terrible positions. (Some people really can use the float - it all depends.) This is why
    Speedplay came out with the Zero system - it has a limited amount of float, and should solve most -
    MOST - of the problems people have had with the standard system. One more thing worth noting is that
    Look has a brand new pedal, the CX-6, which is extremely adjustable. It allows you to set it based
    on your particular needs. It is not quite as adjustable as the CX-7, but should meet almost
    everyone's needs. Plus, it is lighter and MUCH cheaper than the CX-7. Moreover, the CX-6 ti is
    lighter than the Speedplay ti! They have a cheaper aluminum version of the same pedal in the A5. My
    guess is that this may soon become the new standard, at least as far as Look compatible pedals go...