Pedestrian and cyclist detection

Dave B

Guest
Hi Folks,

Just saw this article in the New Scientist
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8574

It seems that a system has been developed for cars that can detect a
pedestrian walking out or a cyclist in the road.

I'd have thought driving with due care and attention would be a better idea!

Cheers

Dave

Dave B wrote:
> I'd have thought driving with due care and attention would be a better idea!

Agreed. For ALL road users, regardless of mode.

PhilD

--
<><

Perhaps they could make a smaller version for pedestrians that detects when
they are about to walk into the road into the path of a cyclist and glues
their feet to the kerb.

news:[email protected]...

POHB wrote:
> Perhaps they could make a smaller version for pedestrians that detects when
> they are about to walk into the road into the path of a cyclist and glues
> their feet to the kerb.

Metal curbs and magnetic shoes......yes I think it could work!!

Like those gadgets that stop shopping trolley wheels when you try to take
them out of the car park.

"Dave B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> POHB wrote:
>> Perhaps they could make a smaller version for pedestrians that detects
>> when they are about to walk into the road into the path of a cyclist and
>> glues their feet to the kerb.
>>

> Metal curbs and magnetic shoes......yes I think it could work!!

Response to Dave B:

"The pedestrian-recognition technology uses three different types of
sensor to identify a person, or even a cyclist, in the road ahead."

I know that cyclists are often seen as lesser breeds without the law,
but I'm surprised at the New Scientist for placing us below persons!

--
Mark, UK

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open
sewer and die."

In article <[email protected]>, Mark McNeill
([email protected]) wrote:
> Response to Dave B:
>

> "The pedestrian-recognition technology uses three different types of
> sensor to identify a person, or even a cyclist, in the road ahead."
>
> I know that cyclists are often seen as lesser breeds without the law,
> but I'm surprised at the New Scientist for placing us below persons!

Somewhere between "chat show host" and "estate agent", I think.

The System is well pleased with this Unit's performance, which falls
within expected parameters.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Dave Larrington wrote:

> > I know that cyclists are often seen as lesser breeds without the law,
> > but I'm surprised at the New Scientist for placing us below persons!

> Somewhere between "chat show host" and "estate agent", I think.

But still above computer programmer (which is just below traffic warden).

Cheers

Chris
--
Chris Johns

"Chris Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> > I know that cyclists are often seen as lesser breeds without the law,
>> > but I'm surprised at the New Scientist for placing us below persons!

>> Somewhere between "chat show host" and "estate agent", I think.

> But still above computer programmer (which is just below traffic warden).
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Below, however, 'employee of Inland Revenue'

Cheers, helen s

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:21:00 +0000, Dave B wrote:

> Just saw this article in the New Scientist
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8574
>
> It seems that a system has been developed for cars that can detect a
> pedestrian walking out or a cyclist in the road.

There's a report and several movies of another (?) effort along the same
lines here: <http://www.manualforstreets.org.uk./> (Leave that last dot
in.) Cyclists are considered low priority here too.

Mike

All employees work for the inland revenue

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

>>> Somewhere between "chat show host" and "estate agent", I think.

>> But still above computer programmer (which is just below traffic warden).
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Chris

> Below, however, 'employee of Inland Revenue'
>
> Cheers, helen s

In article <[email protected]>, Chris
Johns ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> > > I know that cyclists are often seen as lesser breeds without the law,
> > > but I'm surprised at the New Scientist for placing us below persons!

> > Somewhere between "chat show host" and "estate agent", I think.

> But still above computer programmer (which is just below traffic warden).

In a previous Nut Mine, the chap in charge of the security of the
Babbage-Engines was so earnest that the story had it that he had been
abandoned at birth and subsequently adopted by a family of traffic
wardens.

Where does "Development Engineer (IT) Who Is Also A Cyclist" fit in?

Do not top-post like a Cretinous Foul-Yob fit only for Stoning.

In article <[email protected]>, POHB
([email protected]) wrote:

> All employees work for the inland revenue

Except Bloody Cyclists. Bloody Cyclists, after all, don't pay for the
roads (cont. uk.tosspot)

A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.