Pedestrian crossing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin

On my commute to work I pass a pelican crossing on a busy main urban road. This morning as I
approached the crossing, pedestrians began to drift across. I began to slow down and rang my bell
but they kept coming. I slowed down some more and aimed for a gap in what was now a fairly solid
stream of people. I gave a loud whistle, but there was no response so I slowed further. The gap I
had been aiming for had now closed, so I decided to exercise discretion and allow the pedestrians to
cross, even though I was running late. I was now riding at walking pace, a few metres from the stop
line, and as I braked again, my brake let out a squeal. The woman nearest to me on the crossing
looked up startled, leapt about ten feet in the air and tumbled over sideways dropping her bag. I
got off the bike to help her up, but before I could, an irate man rushed towards me shouting "bloody
red light, ********!", and pointing at the traffic light, which had now, of course, turned red. I
began to protest, but the woman had now been helped up and started shrieking "you could have killed
me! he could have killed me! you nearly bloody killed me!" and the chorus joined in with "bloody
cyclists, don't pay taxes, think they own the road, ride on the pavement, never use lights, never
wear helmets." I was trying to fend off the angry vigilante and reason with the shrieking woman. My
bike was still lying in the middle of the road, cars had begun to arrive and were beeping their
horns as the light was now green again. Thinking discretion was the better part of valour I picked
up my bike and rode off, rather shaken and very depressed by the whole experience. To make matters
worse, one of my colleagues said to me this morning, in front of several co-workers "I saw you knock
a woman over this morning and just ride off".

Grrrrrrrr!

Colin

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On my commute to work I pass a pelican crossing on a busy main urban road. This morning as I
> approached the crossing, pedestrians began to drift across. I began to slow down.....

The best trick I find is to keep going at normal speed and watch them scatter when they know you
mean business! ;-)

W K wrote:

> Is this london? Horizon tonight is about what would happen if it was contaminated and
> uninhabitable.

What's this *if* ?

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

<snip>
> dropping her bag. I got off the bike to help her up, but before I could, an irate man rushed
> towards me shouting "bloody red light, ********!", and pointing at the traffic light, which had
> now, of course, turned red. I began to protest, but the woman had now been helped up and started
> shrieking "you could have killed me! he could have killed me! you nearly bloody killed me!" and
> the chorus joined in with "bloody cyclists, don't pay taxes, think they own the road, ride on the
> pavement, never use lights, never wear helmets." I was trying to fend off the angry vigilante and
> reason with the shrieking woman.
<snip> ...for some reason I visualised the end scene from 'Invasion of the bodysnatchers' when
reading this. Glad to hear you escaped relatively unscathed and that, despite their ignorance, you
still acted with the best of intentions. What was it that bloke once said.... 'Forgive them, Father,
for they know not what they do...' Boy, did he ever know what he was talking about ?!!? Dave.

What a whinger!!! You should obey the highway code, I am a cyclist of almost 50 years experience, in
all traffic conditions. I am fed up with the lycra clad cowboys like you, who ignore the basic rule
- pedestrians take precedent on any form of crossing. If you are driving in an aggressive and
intimidatory fashion which directly or indirectly causes an accident, its your fault. Ignoring
traffic lights, riding the wrong way down one-way streets, riding on pavements (not designated for
dual use), riding without lights or reflectors, using a walkman while cycling - these are just some
of the idiotic things regularly done my many so called responsible adults while riding bikes. GET
REAL. If you cannot obey the rules, then stop cycling.

--

Take out NOSPAM from the address to reply.

> On my commute to work I pass a pelican crossing on a busy main urban road. This morning as I
> approached the crossing, pedestrians began to drift across. I began to slow down and rang my bell
> but they kept coming. I slowed down some more and aimed for a gap in what was now a fairly solid
> stream of people. I gave a loud whistle, but there was no response so I slowed further. The gap I
> had been aiming for had now closed, so I decided to exercise discretion and allow the pedestrians
> to cross, even though I was running late. I was now riding at walking pace, a few metres from the
> stop line, and as I braked again, my brake let out a squeal. The woman nearest to me on the
> crossing looked up startled, leapt about ten feet in the air and tumbled over sideways dropping
> her bag. I got off the bike to help her up, but before I could, an irate man rushed towards me
> shouting "bloody red light, ********!", and pointing at the traffic light, which had now, of
> course, turned red. I began to protest, but the woman had now been helped up and started shrieking
> "you could have killed me! he could have killed me! you nearly bloody killed me!" and the chorus
> joined in with "bloody cyclists, don't pay taxes, think they own the road, ride on the pavement,
> never use lights, never wear helmets." I was trying to fend off the angry vigilante and reason
> with the shrieking woman. My bike was still lying in the middle of the road, cars had begun to
> arrive and were beeping their horns as the light was now green again. Thinking discretion was the
> better part of valour I picked up my bike and rode off, rather shaken and very depressed by the
> whole experience. To make matters worse, one of my colleagues said to me this morning, in front of
> several co-workers "I saw you knock a woman over this morning and just ride off".
>
> Grrrrrrrr!
>
> Colin

> approached the crossing, pedestrians began to drift across.

Snip

You may have been perfectly in the right but you made at least three major errors.

1. Pedestrians always have priority. They can wander around like sheep in a drug induced trance
in the middle of the road with all lights and rights of way in your favour -- but they have
priority. Its like the 11th commandment -- not written down but more important than all the
rest of the rules of the road.

2. Cyclists are invisible (more accurately, selectively visible) to all other road users --
therefore, you must cycle as if you are, indeed, the invisible man. Bells, lights, whistles or
a merry "get out of the f*cking way, you mindless tw*t" make no difference unless the other
person wants to see you.

3. Arguing with eyewitnesses -- especially en mass -- is pointless. Regardless of what happened
in your universe they will be describing a different incident in a different universe, far,
far away. Arguing only lays you open to abuse. By arguing you have allowed them to
unconsciously synchronise all their universes -- so now, if Plod wants to feel your collar,
its your word against all of theirs. If you hadn't argued their universes would not have
synchronised and Plod would have had 27 different versions of the truth.

Now, if you had been a m*t*r*s*d v*hc*l* it would have been different. You would have been seen,
they would almost certainly have been cowering on the pavement -- and anyway, if you had run a few
of them down you would only have got three points and a 100 GBP fine (or nothing at all if you were
an Advanced Driver and knew the correct Funny Handshake).

As for the blind pr*t at work -- tell him he is a blind pr*t.

T

> approached the crossing, pedestrians began to drift across. I began to slow down and rang my bell
> but they kept coming. I slowed down some more and aimed for a gap in what was now a fairly solid
> stream of people. I gave a loud whistle, but there was no response so I slowed further. The gap I
> had been aiming for had now closed, so I decided to exercise discretion and allow the pedestrians
> to cross, even though I was running late. I was now riding at walking pace, a few metres from the
> stop line, and as I braked again, my brake let out a squeal. The woman nearest to me on the
> crossing looked up startled, leapt about ten feet in the air and tumbled over sideways dropping
> her bag. I got off the bike to help her up, but before I could, an irate man rushed towards me
> shouting "bloody red light, ********!", and pointing at the traffic light, which had now, of
> course, turned red. I began to protest, but the woman had now been helped up and started shrieking
> "you could have killed me! he could have killed me! you nearly bloody killed me!" and the chorus
> joined in with "bloody cyclists, don't pay taxes, think they own the road, ride on the pavement,
> never use lights, never wear helmets." I was trying to fend off the angry vigilante and reason
> with the shrieking woman. My bike was still lying in the middle of the road, cars had begun to
> arrive and were beeping their horns as the light was now green again. Thinking discretion was the
> better part of valour I picked up my bike and rode off, rather shaken and very depressed by the
> whole experience. To make matters worse, one of my colleagues said to me this morning, in front of
> several co-workers "I saw you knock a woman over this morning and just ride off".
>
> Grrrrrrrr!
>
I'd have been shouting "It's green" or "Watch the lights" as I approached the crossing and not
slowed down too much. Depending on the woman's fall I probably wouldn't have got off to help
either and shouted "Get out of the way" and ridden on. However, what you did in the situation
sounds fine. You did nothing wrong, were polite and helpful and did the decent thing. Car drivers
hooting and pedestrians having a go at cyclists are everyday occurences right? So I wouldn't think
any more about it.

On Charing Cross Road once I was waiting at a crossing (red for pedestrians) and 2 guys in front of
me started to cross. A commuter on a bike came flying through, as he was entitled to, so they
stepped back abruptly - one said to the other "bloody hate couriers!". You can't win!

Bob wrote:
> What a whinger!!! You should obey the highway code

So in what way does braking not comply with the HC? Remember, said ped jumped and fell over because
the OP braked, and said brakes squealed.

How many of these peds would have continued to cross *against the lights* if the OP had been driving
a MDG? And if he had hooted in an MDG, how many would have ignored him?

Today I had a near miss with a pavement lemming - walked out between two stationary MDGs (not on a
crossing) straight into my path, looking the other way. Peds are complete numpties half the time -
mind you, most of them are just cagers who have found somewhere to park the car, so it's not
surprising that they retain the complete inability to see a cyclist however conspicuous.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> 3. Arguing with eyewitnesses -- especially en mass -- is pointless. Regardless of what happened
> in your universe they will be describing a different incident in a different universe, far,
> far away. Arguing only lays you open to abuse. By arguing you have allowed them to
> unconsciously synchronise all their universes -- so now, if Plod wants to feel your collar,
> its your word against all of theirs. If you hadn't argued their universes would not have
> synchronised and Plod would have had 27 different versions of the truth.
>
I was about to post broad, pompous agreement with your views, until I read
3. This is clever I hadn't ever figured this out for myself, but its obvious now you point it out.

what is a MDG?

panda

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
> > What a whinger!!! You should obey the highway code
>
> So in what way does braking not comply with the HC? Remember, said ped jumped and fell over
> because the OP braked, and said brakes squealed.
>
> How many of these peds would have continued to cross *against the lights*
if
> the OP had been driving a MDG? And if he had hooted in an MDG, how many would have ignored him?
>
> Today I had a near miss with a pavement lemming - walked out between two stationary MDGs (not on a
> crossing) straight into my path, looking the
other
> way. Peds are complete numpties half the time - mind you, most of them
are
> just cagers who have found somewhere to park the car, so it's not
surprising
> that they retain the complete inability to see a cyclist however conspicuous.
>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
> wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

panda wrote:
> what is a MDG?

Motorised Death Greenhouse -> Car

Colin

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> On Charing Cross Road once I was waiting at a crossing (red for pedestrians) and 2 guys in front
> of me started to cross. A commuter on a bike came flying through, as he was entitled to, so they
> stepped back abruptly - one said to the other "bloody hate couriers!". You can't win!

I think you'll find that he wasn't entitled to - but the peds' reaction is pretty typical. The
alternative would be to blame their own stupidity, and who knows where that kind of dangerous
precedent would lead. Far better to continue in the comfortable belief that "they" are at fault for
all the world's ills.

--
Guy
===

> W K wrote:
>
> > Is this london? Horizon tonight is about what would happen if it was contaminated and
> > uninhabitable.
>
> What's this *if* ?

Nice one !

Graham

>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
> wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
> > On Charing Cross Road once I was waiting at a crossing (red for pedestrians) and 2 guys in front
> > of me started to cross. A commuter on a bike came flying through, as he was entitled to, so they
> > stepped back abruptly - one said to the other "bloody hate couriers!". You can't win!
>
> I think you'll find that he wasn't entitled to - but the peds' reaction is pretty typical. The
> alternative would be to blame their own stupidity,
and
> who knows where that kind of dangerous precedent would lead. Far better
to
> continue in the comfortable belief that "they" are at fault for all the world's ills.
>
He had a green light, they had a red. Common etiquette (whether legal or not) says the green has the
right of way. He was cycling along minding his own business on a green - they were crossing without
looking on red. Simple as that IMHO.

>>> On Charing Cross Road once I was waiting at a crossing (red for pedestrians) and 2 guys in front
>>> of me started to cross. A commuter on a bike came flying through, as he was entitled to

>> I think you'll find that he wasn't entitled to

> He had a green light, they had a red. Common etiquette (whether legal or not) says the green has
> the right of way. He was cycling along minding his own business on a green - they were crossing
> without looking on red. Simple as that IMHO.

Ah, but that's assuming a rational perspective. I think you'll find that the law is rather less
rational: peds on a ped crossing have right of way, whatever the lights say. I'm fairly sure this is
down to the old zebra crossings and was never amended when pelicans were introduced, but ICBW.

--
Guy
===

> Ah, but that's assuming a rational perspective. I think you'll find that the law is rather less
> rational: peds on a ped crossing have right of way, whatever the lights say.....

There is a ped crossing in town where I have to wait *ages* to cross on foot. Perhaps next time I
will not wait for the green man and just put my hand up to stop the traffic while I cross. As I have
right of way I would be in for a big compensation claim if I did get hit, so it's a win-win
situation!

> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
> >>> On Charing Cross Road once I was waiting at a crossing (red for pedestrians) and 2 guys in
> >>> front of me started to cross. A commuter on a bike came flying through, as he was entitled to
>
> >> I think you'll find that he wasn't entitled to
>
> > He had a green light, they had a red. Common etiquette (whether legal or not) says the green has
> > the right of way. He was cycling along minding his own business on a green - they were crossing
> > without looking on red. Simple as that IMHO.
>
> Ah, but that's assuming a rational perspective. I think you'll find that the law is rather less
> rational: peds on a ped crossing have right of way, whatever the lights say. I'm fairly sure this
> is down to the old zebra crossings and was never amended when pelicans were introduced, but ICBW.
>
> --
Ah but as I put - whether legal or not it's "Common etiquette", "de facto" usage of crossings/lights
etc. Of course we could all ignore them (when inappropriate) and live in anarchy and chaos.

> Ah but as I put - whether legal or not it's "Common etiquette", "de facto" usage of
> crossings/lights etc. Of course we could all ignore them (when inappropriate) and live in anarchy
> and chaos.

It's just occurred to me: they must be cyclists. Normally pavement lemmings are cagers who have
found somewhere to park the MDG, but jumping the red light immediately marks these particular
lemmings out as cyclists, doesn't it? It's like all those people who park with two wheels on the
pavement - they must be cyclists as well, who else drives on pavements?

--
Guy
===

Status
Not open for further replies.