Pedestrian crossing questions

Anonymous Cowar

Guest
1) Round here in the anonymous city there's a road with a
rubber & tarmac speed-control ramp that has just been
installed. The top of the ramp is level with the pavement
and there are two Belisha beacons either side of
it.

Is this a pedestrian crossing? There's no zebra painted on
it and no streetlamps.

2) Drivers should give way to pedestrians already crossing
when they turn left into a side road. The other day
someone swooshed past me when I was already in the road,
so I reached out and tapped on their window as they were
going past.

There were no white lines at the junction, and the side road
was slightly angled as it was a 'no-right turn' - but not so
much as to count as a sliproad IMO. Does this mean they
didn't have to give way to me?

3) Are there any guidelines on where crossings should
be placed?

Some new roadworks placed several crossings at places that
feel very awkward
- they're on a corner on quite narrow bits of pavement, and
I can't see oncoming traffic as far away as I would like.

AC

anonymous wrote:
> 2) Drivers should give way to pedestrians already crossing
> when they turn left into a side road.

Highway code rule 146
(http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.shtml#146) says:

watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you
are turning. If they have started to cross they have
priority, so give way

> The other day someone swooshed past me when I was already
> in the road

Yes, they should have given way to you.

> so I reached out and tapped on their window as they were
> going past.

But you shouldn't have done that. See Highway code rule 125
(http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/12.shtml#125).

--
Gareth Rees

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:47:20 +0000, anonymous coward
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)1) Round here in the anonymous city there's a road with a
:rubber & tarmac )speed-control ramp that has just been
:installed. The top of the ramp is )level with the pavement
:and there are two Belisha beacons either side of )it. ) )Is
:this a pedestrian crossing? There's no zebra painted on it
:and no )streetlamps.

Must be a camel - one hump or two ?

Perhaps they're out of zebra coloured paint.

:) )2) Drivers should give way to pedestrians already
:crossing when they turn )left into a side road. The other
:day someone swooshed past me when I was )already in the
:road, so I reached out and tapped on their window as they
:)were going past. ) )There were no white lines at the
:junction, and the side road was slightly )angled as it
:was a 'no-right turn' - but not so much as to count as a
:)sliproad IMO. Does this mean they didn't have to give
:way to me? )

This "give way to peds in a side road" seems to be an
anomaly. Odd !

:)3) Are there any guidelines on where crossings should be
:placed? ) )Some new roadworks placed several crossings at
:places that feel very awkward )- they're on a corner on
:quite narrow bits of pavement, and I can't see )oncoming
:traffic as far away as I would like.

Probably. Start discussions with the approprite Council for
that area.
--
Comm again, Mike.