Pedro Deldopa

MagillaGorilla

Guest
http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/11233.0.html

For cycling, it is very important to have a star. It is what draws
people's interest to the sport. Furthermore it is very important for the
sport to have a star who races, since it is the stars that give a race
its prestige. No matter where the race is, Spain, Switzerland, Italy or
Germany, it is important for the prestige of any race that the big stars
compete. It is important for all of those smaller races and it is
important for everyone involved in cycling.

-----------------------

Look how stupid Deldopa is. He thinks it's possible for riders today to
win year around just because it was possible in the 1960's and 1970's
when the average pro was making $8k and was the athletic equivalent of a
Cat. 1.

Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?
When Vinokourov raced San Francisco with an inch of hair on his legs, it
was hilarious seeing all the dumbasses in here talk about it like he
actually came over here to win the race. And then everybody starts
thinking Charles Dionne is this great rider with tons of European
potential (he's riding for Cocaine Villa this year).

Thanks,

Magilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:

> Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
> races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?

How about all the Euro fans who have attended kermesse races down
through the years?

What about team riders being "given" stages, and even lesser event
wins, in return for work done in important races? --D-y

[email protected] wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>

>>Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
>>races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?

> How about all the Euro fans who have attended kermesse races down
> through the years?
>
> What about team riders being "given" stages, and even lesser event
> wins, in return for work done in important races? --D-y

Those Euro fans are rabid because they have nothing else to do in their
lives but watch some meaningless bike race (what is the point of a Grand
Tour winner racing a crit?). You don't see the owners of the
thoroughbred that wins the Kentucky Derby taking that horse a week later
and hooking it up to a plow on some farm.

Even Lance admits he didn't watch the Tour de France on TV this year
(his quote was "not one minute of it").

I don't really understand the point of your second paragraph nor do I
agree it is even factually accurate.

Thanks,

Magilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > MagillaGorilla wrote:
> >

> >>Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
> >>races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?

> > How about all the Euro fans who have attended kermesse races down
> > through the years?
> >
> > What about team riders being "given" stages, and even lesser event
> > wins, in return for work done in important races? --D-y

> Those Euro fans are rabid because they have nothing else to do in their
> lives but watch some meaningless bike race (what is the point of a Grand
> Tour winner racing a crit?).

Maybe some are as you describe. "The point" IMHO is being able to see
the star riders for longer than a glimpse as they pass by, and the
"bigs" are supposed to do big things, like "win". The fans are being
given a show; the finish order is rigged to at least some extent. I
think some large number of them appreciate that.

>You don't see the owners of the
> thoroughbred that wins the Kentucky Derby taking that horse a week later
> and hooking it up to a plow on some farm.

This is more along the lines of why roosters don't lay eggs, if you
want a better comparison in the "horses, sporting" area.

> Even Lance admits he didn't watch the Tour de France on TV this year
> (his quote was "not one minute of it").

Well, that's what The War on People will do for you!

> I don't really understand the point of your second paragraph nor do I
> agree it is even factually accurate.

Giro, 1980, Hinault gives an important stage win (Stelvio) to
Bernardeau as a reward for a pretty fine day of riding. IOW, not all
the stars are doing, or ever have done, their utmost to win every
single place they can, except maybe Merckx. --D-y

MagillaGorilla wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > MagillaGorilla wrote:
> >

> >>Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
> >>races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?

> > How about all the Euro fans who have attended kermesse races down
> > through the years?
> >
> > What about team riders being "given" stages, and even lesser event
> > wins, in return for work done in important races? --D-y
> >

> Those Euro fans are rabid because they have nothing else to do in their
> lives but watch some meaningless bike race (what is the point of a Grand
> Tour winner racing a crit?).

Right-on. Euros are a bunch of fuddle-headed mead addicts for whom
their guvmints have destroyed any reason to engage in meaningful
activity. No wonder the low races are "exciting" entertainment. I
mean, what's the choice for a Euro: whores and hash or a 6-pack and
free views of a bike race?

> I don't really understand the point of your second paragraph nor do I
> agree it is even factually accurate.

Well it is tom paterson, after all, who doesn't need the mead to
blather incoherently.

> Look how stupid Deldopa is. He thinks it's possible for riders today to
> win year around just because it was possible in the 1960's and 1970's
> when the average pro was making $8k and was the athletic equivalent of a
> Cat. 1.

You fail miserably in your cycling knowledge^^

Just two examples: Di Luca and Paolo Bettini

They are visible all year round.

> Yet when the top guys do race year round..they just coast in 80% of the
> races. What respectable fan wants to see that kind of athletic fraud?

You mean that becauase YOU do not understand cycling you feel cheated?
^^

Too bad, maybe a rabid Euro fan can explain how it works? ^^