Peeing at Half Vineman Triathlon

G

Gabe

I was thinking of doing HalfVineman in 04 but on their web site I read several times they are very
strict about not peeing any place but a porta-potty or you will be disqualified. Are they really
that strict? and are there enough places to pee? do many get disqualified? I hate to plan a trip
all the way there only to get disqualified for having to take a leak. What is anyones opinion on
this that has does Halfvineman? I have been to to many races with so few porta-potties you are
forced to take a leak behind a tree. And there is nothing worse in a race than waiting in line to
take a damm leak.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Gabe) wrote:

> I was thinking of doing HalfVineman in 04 but on their web site I read several times they are very
> strict about not peeing any place but a porta-potty or you will be disqualified. Are they really
> that strict? and are there enough places to pee? do many get disqualified? I hate to plan a trip
> all the way there only to get disqualified for having to take a leak. What is anyones opinion on
> this that has does Halfvineman? I have been to to many races with so few porta-potties you are
> forced to take a leak behind a tree. And there is nothing worse in a race than waiting in line to
> take a damm leak.

You should get them to clarify. Is it really just a "no whipping it out" policy, or do you get
DQ'ed if you pee your pants? Not that I'd do it, but I know there are people who just let it loose
while riding.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

In article <[email protected]>, Harold Buck
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Gabe) wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of doing HalfVineman in 04 but on their web site I read several times they are
> > very strict about not peeing any place but a porta-potty or you will be disqualified. Are they
> > really that strict? and are there enough places to pee? do many get disqualified? I hate to plan
> > a trip all the way there only to get disqualified for having to take a leak. What is anyones
> > opinion on this that has does Halfvineman? I have been to to many races with so few
> > porta-potties you are forced to take a leak behind a tree. And there is nothing worse in a race
> > than waiting in line to take a damm leak.
>
>
> You should get them to clarify. Is it really just a "no whipping it out" policy, or do you get
> DQ'ed if you pee your pants? Not that I'd do it, but I know there are people who just let it loose
> while riding.
>

Someone was DQed this year for stopping and whipping it out and watering someone's front yard or
vineyard. This is a VERY big issue at this race and it's well covered if you read the literature and
it is mentioned at the race meeting. The reason---lots of complaints from the locals.

As for letting it go while you are on your bike.....I don't think that's what they are talking
about. It's the "no watering the grapes" thing that's an issue.

clm in sf

--
[email protected] cathy morgan, san francisco, ca REMOVE x x to email

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Cathy
Morgan) wrote:

>
> Someone was DQed this year for stopping and whipping it out and watering someone's front yard or
> vineyard. This is a VERY big issue at this race and it's well covered if you read the literature
> and it is mentioned at the race meeting. The reason---lots of complaints from the locals.
>

Well, and I think they should complain. Just because you're doing a race shouldn't mean you can
violate local laws (with the exception of traffic laws, but the race organizers get permits and have
to pay for traffic control to make that okay).

I heard about a guy who came out of the swim, ran to T1, pulled his bathing suit down to his
ankles, and then grabbed a towel and dried his hair for 30 seconds. That's just ridiculous. If you
really want to change your shorts--as I often do--do a "towel change" so no one has to see your
naughty parts.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:

> I heard about a guy who came out of the swim, ran to T1, pulled his bathing suit down to his
> ankles, and then grabbed a towel and dried his hair for 30 seconds.

It's often a culture thing, though. I've seen women who for sure weren't exhibiting themselves, but
stripped completely in T1 in front of many spectators. I've also seen men of all ages even walk
around nude before the race. In their countries of origin, it is ordinary for family members not to
cover up for the few minutes when it's clumsy to do so. It's not a stretch to then change openly on
a public beach as is customary in a number of countries. It's quite another thing to lift your leg
on the neighbor's bush. I don't blame anyone for complaining about that.

Ruth Kazez

> I heard about a guy who came out of the swim, ran to T1, pulled his bathing suit down to his
> ankles, and then grabbed a towel and dried his hair for 30 seconds. That's just ridiculous. If you
> really want to change your shorts--as I often do--do a "towel change" so no one has to see your
> naughty parts.
>
> --Harold Buck

If you don't want to see it, don't look. I don't know why people make such a big deal about being
nude. It is so ridiculous. It is only a human body for goodness sake. What is the big deal?

Curt

It is a cultural thing. Being from Austria, there is no problem here to change your clothes in front
of your car and nobody would use words like "noughty parts" like in this thread.

Nobody cares at a triathlon where we change clothes ...

I remember when working in the states that I went into a fitness club and used the sauna like it is
used here (naked that is) - wondering why there is no mixed sauna - like it is usual here. I was the
only guy without clothes there - incredible for us ...

In Austrian fitness clubs saunas are always mixed and naked but before

married I wouldnt even realize a real chick (ok starting to lie :) )

In article <[email protected]>, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I heard about a guy who came out of the swim, ran to T1, pulled his bathing suit down to his
> > ankles, and then grabbed a towel and dried his hair for 30 seconds. That's just ridiculous. If
> > you really want to change your shorts--as I often do--do a "towel change" so no one has to see
> > your naughty parts.
> >
> > --Harold Buck
>
> If you don't want to see it, don't look. I don't know why people make such a big deal about being
> nude. It is so ridiculous. It is only a human body for goodness sake. What is the big deal?

Well, if you think people should be able to whip it out in public, work to get the laws changed.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:

> Well, if you think people should be able to whip it out in public, work to get the laws changed.

Whipping it out is definitely impolite, but just discreetly letting one's pants drop is quite
another thing and, in appropriate circumstances such as T2, might be altogether unremarkable, even
in mixed company.

Ruth Kazez

"Theodor Seiz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It is a cultural thing. Being from Austria, there is no problem here to change your clothes in
> front of your car and nobody would use words like "noughty parts" like in this thread.
>
> Nobody cares at a triathlon where we change clothes ...
>
> I remember when working in the states that I went into a fitness club and used the sauna like it
> is used here (naked that is) - wondering why there is no mixed sauna - like it is usual here. I
> was the only guy without clothes there - incredible for us ...
>
> In Austrian fitness clubs saunas are always mixed and naked but before

> married I wouldnt even realize a real chick (ok starting to lie :) )

It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body. I guess we have a way to go to catch up to
Europe in many ways. I envy the way it is over there. The US is really backwards and young when it
comes to this. If you

as just natural or even art. It is drilled into our heads over hear when you are just a little baby.
I mean Speedo's are never worn because people think they show too much. Good heavens. (rolling eyes)

What can you do? As far as me changing laws, it isn't that important to me to spend 30 years to try
and move the minds of the closed. Life is much too short. I'll just do what our laws say......unless
of course no one is around. ;)

Curt

> It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body. I guess we have a way to go to catch up to
> Europe in many ways. I envy the way it is over there. The US is really backwards and young when it
> comes to this.

OK, now that we've totally gotten off the question.....the Vineman rule isn't "no nudity", it's NO
PEEING ON THE GRAPES. I suppose if you peed on the grapes through your DeSoto shorts, you'd get
dinged too.

clm in sf where it's far too cold and foggy to go naked outdoors

--
[email protected] cathy morgan, san francisco, ca REMOVE x x to email

"Gabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was thinking of doing HalfVineman in 04 but on their web site I read several times they are very
> strict about not peeing any place but a porta-potty or you will be disqualified. Are they really
> that strict? and are there enough places to pee? do many get disqualified? I hate to plan a trip
> all the way there only to get disqualified for having to take a leak. What is anyones opinion on
> this that has does Halfvineman? I have been to to many races with so few porta-potties you are
> forced to take a leak behind a tree. And there is nothing worse in a race than waiting in line to
> take a damm leak.

Back to peeing -- how common is it to just "let go" on a bike? I'm asuming this is more often seen
in IM and loger distance tri's, which I admitingly have never done, but it still seems far fetched.

Common practice, or a free-minded few?

-Ros

> It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body. I guess we have a way to go to catch up to
> Europe in many ways.
>
> Curt

Agreed! And of all the places to be ashamed of the human body.... a triathlon? I have seen more fit,
sculpted, toned bodies at triathlons than in People Magizine -- somthing must be wrong ;-)

-Ross

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body.

As Cathy pointed out, the issue isn't nudity, it's public urination. I notice that no-one has said
that they think it would be perfectly OK for a group of total strangers to come up and **** in
their yard.

It's not acceptable behavior and anyone doing it deserves to be DQ'd.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

"Cathy Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Someone was DQed this year for stopping and whipping it out and watering someone's front yard or
> vineyard. This is a VERY big issue at this race and it's well covered if you read the literature
> and it is mentioned at the race meeting. The reason---lots of complaints from the locals.

Far different from the Las Vegas marathon. For some reason I have lots of pee related stories with
this event. Lets see:

At the start there are few facilities. 50' off the road you see many guys taking advantage of a
piece of sage brush. I went to do so last time I was there and when I finished I turned around to
discover 3 not so modest ladies squatting right behind me.

Every couple of miles, there are usually 1 or 2 porta-potties on the course. It seems to be the
general unwritten rule that the ladies go in and the men go behind.

Finally, my personal favorite: The guy who didn't want to take the time to stop and whipped it out
and ran along the side of the road while he went. I had to laugh, I mean if he's running near me
he's not in danger of winning the race....

James

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Tennent
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body.
>
>
> As Cathy pointed out, the issue isn't nudity, it's public urination. I notice that no-one has said
> that they think it would be perfectly OK for a group of total strangers to come up and **** in
> their yard.
>
> It's not acceptable behavior and anyone doing it deserves to be DQ'd.
>

Well, the urination just makes it worse. But people need to realize that we don't own any triathlon
courses; most of the time we're getting permits to use public places. If we **** people off--er--if
we get people who live in the area or who use the park angry, they'll complain and maybe we won't
get to use the park the next year, especially if we're breaking the law. It doesn't matter if it's
littering, or riding on the wrong side of the road, or public nudity: these are all things that
irritate the general public, or at least a vocal portion of it.

Should Americans be less uptight about nudity? Sure. I think it's particularly silly that men can go
shirtless in our society while women can't. But for whatever reason there are laws about public
nudity, and they apply even when you're in a race.

FWIW, my biggest complaint about public nudity is the for the most part the people naked are never
the ones you WANT to see naked.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

Yes Mike, but Harold B stated this in a reply...."as I often do--do a "towel change" so no one has
to see your naughty parts."

I just couldn't let the words "naughty parts" go by. It was just too much for me. So we got a bit
off topic. I would agree, you shouldn't pee in someone's yard, but I feel if you are running and
there are woods around, go for it, or even peeing while on your bike would be ok in my book as long
as no one is behind you and you are not in a neighborhood.

Enjoy, Curt

"Mike Tennent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >It is a shame the US is so weird about the human body.
>
>
> As Cathy pointed out, the issue isn't nudity, it's public urination. I notice that no-one has said
> that they think it would be perfectly OK for a group of total strangers to come up and **** in
> their yard.
>
> It's not acceptable behavior and anyone doing it deserves to be DQ'd.
>
> Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>But people need to realize that we don't own any triathlon courses; most of the time we're getting
>permits to use public places. If we **** people off--er--if we get people who live in the area or
>who use the park angry, they'll complain and maybe we won't get to use the park the next year,
>especially if we're breaking the law. It doesn't matter if it's littering, or riding on the wrong
>side of the road, or public nudity: these are all things that irritate the general public, or at
>least a vocal portion of it.
>

Sure, that really is the issue. We are GUESTS in the towns that host tris. Good guests don't go
around littering the streets, pissing in people's yards, etc.

It's called good manners and decency.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

> FWIW, my biggest complaint about public nudity is the for the most part the people naked are never
> the ones you WANT to see naked.
>
> --Harold Buck

Isn't that the truth. I don't know why that is?

Curt

> Yes Mike, but Harold B stated this in a reply...."as I often do--do a "towel change" so no one has
> to see your naughty parts."
>
> I just couldn't let the words "naughty parts" go by. It was just too much for me. So we got a bit
> off topic. I would agree, you shouldn't pee in someone's yard, but I feel if you are running and
> there are woods around, go for it, or even peeing while on your bike would be ok in my book as
> long as no one is behind you and you are not in a neighborhood.

Aaah, I see. I was being silly when I said "naughty parts," making a not-so-clear reference to the
Church Lady, Dana Carvey's old SNL character. It was supposed to be funny.

Anyway, the real key with public urination is, as you imply, don't do it anywhere where it's going
to bug people and get you arrested. The woods are probably safe. Letting it loose on your bike is
probably not a problem, either, since they can't prove that you just couldn't hold it in anymore and
had an "accident."

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson