'pefect commuter'

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    another dream got me thinking wot would be the best

    more upright road frame (tourer style)
    hub gear?
    disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah

    this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear

    article here

    Tags:

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
    > and derailleured running gear
    >
    > 'article here'
    > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

    If you read closely you'll see that the SoHo has an eccentric BB, so you can
    rip off that derailleur and make it an SS or Rohloff it and use sensibly
    spoked wheels.

    This is also pretty sweet:
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/925.html
    Formula hubs (same as IRO and Velocity, awesome bang for buck), fixed/free,
    cro-mo, moustache bars and it can take at least 30c tyres under the fenders.

    But this is what I want:
    http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/bikes/folding_city_bikes/DHHC0146.html
    Unfortunately at AUD$1600, and only 300 worldwide, I don't think I'll be
    getting one.

  3. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003

    My current thinking is a Surly crosscheck frame with hub gears or SingleSpeed. Maybe Avid cable disk brakes but definitely SKS guards.

  4. DD

    DD Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    <snip>

    > But this is what I want:
    > http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/bikes/folding_city_bikes/DHHC0146.html
    > Unfortunately at AUD$1600, and only 300 worldwide, I don't think I'll be
    > getting one.

    Dahon also make a folding 700C roadster, probably not what you're after
    but this is made under Ritchey's design. The Ritchey website
    ( www.ritcheylogic.com/bab_home.htm ) has several other folders of high
    quality, including a steel swiss cross frame that might do.
    Only problem is that the dealer for Australia www.dirtworks.com.au
    doesn't list any Ritchey frames on their webpages, only the excellent
    Ritchey components, Surly track hubs and other stuff. So as to price, no
    idea. If you want to pursue.....

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Yeah, same here. but make mine a monkey

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    Ooooh. and a dynoHUB for winter :D

    actually i could get a xcad Ti copy for same price :rolleyes:

  7. flaps

    flaps Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
    > >
    > > more upright road frame (tourer style)
    > > hub gear?
    > > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah

    Well, according to Puma (a well known bicycle maker if ever there was
    one... ) this is the biz http://www.puma.com/bike/pindex.jsp

    --
    Flaps

  8. BrettM

    BrettM Guest

    flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
    >
    > more upright road frame (tourer style)
    > hub gear?
    > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
    >
    > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse
    > low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear
    >
    > 'article here'
    > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/t
    > rek_urban)

    Doesn't look too bad but my vote goes to the Redline 925. Is
    anyone importing them???

    Cheers

    BrettM

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Soiler has one! well, a home-made jobbie that doesnt have the guards, but same setup and bars. coolio :D

  10. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Check out the Roadrat:
    http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=510

    Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?
    If I had the dosh I'd fit them for PosePoints(tm) but commuters should be cheap and scrappy, like this:
    http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/tr64.aspx#

    hippy
    - he's back!

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    meh. if it's gonna be something i ride everyday I wanna good steed.
    disc brakes cos i'm sick of replacing rims/pads and collecting roadgrime

    hubgears cos Im lazy/maintenance-challenged and carry too much load on occasion

    and cos it's another bike :D

  12. Kim

    Kim Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
    > > more upright road frame (tourer style)
    > > hub gear?
    > > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
    > > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
    > > and derailleured running gear
    > > 'article here'
    > > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

    > Check out the Roadrat:
    > http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=510

    this looks pretty cool =)

    > Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?
    > If I had the dosh I'd fit them for PosePoints(tm) but commuters should
    > be cheap and scrappy, like this:
    > http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/tr64.aspx#

    scrappy, you recon? the frame alone rolls in at 3000$US, i thought you
    said cheap!?!

    cheers,

    Kim

  13. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:07:50 +1100, hippy wrote:

    > Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?

    Nope. I like the discs on my commuter.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)

  14. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:55:43 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

    > Yeah, same here. but make mine a 'monkey'
    > (http://www.surlybikes.com/karatemonkey.html)

    I think there are penalties for putting gears on a Surly. Other than a LHT
    anyway.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)

  15. BrettM

    BrettM Guest

    flyingdutch
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > BrettM Wrote:
    >>
    >> Doesn't look too bad but my vote goes to the Redline 925.
    >> Is anyone importing them???
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> BrettM

    > Soiler has one! well, a home-made jobbie that doesnt have
    > the guards, but same setup and bars. coolio :D

    Arrgh, jealous.

    I've got a CRX2 that I'm thinking of mucking around with.
    Either flip/flop hub and nitto bar or hub gear with front dyno
    hub and trekking bar. I hate the flat bar (now anyway).

    No guards because I don't really care if I get wet/muddy since
    it never bl**dy rains. Probably need some matt black paint
    (powdercoat?) and suitable grey transfers for that stealth look.

    Actually it's been a good bike to get back into riding on so I
    should probably treat it better.

    Cheers

    BrettM

  16. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Joke, man :)

    I was looking for something in gold-plating but I couldn't find the URL quick enough. The Merlin will do. :)

    hippy

  17. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "Random Data" wrote...

    > I think there are penalties for putting gears on a Surly. Other than a LHT
    > anyway.

    You bet there is! The beating I took for just putting a bouncy fork on the front for a couple of rides was very severe.

    BTW Surly are bring out a 0 gear frame next year - a unicycle!

    Parbs

  18. Baka Dasai

    Baka Dasai Guest

  19. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Baka Dasai wrote:
    > flyingdutch said:
    > > more upright road frame (tourer style)
    > > hub gear?
    > > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
    > >
    > > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
    > > and derailleured running gear
    > >
    > > 'article here'
    > > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

    > Nah, here's a city commuter bike:

    this appeals to my sense of simplicity;
    http://www.trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&subcategory_id=3&product_id=172

    most importantly, it comes in black.
    would prolly make a good fixie!

    cheers,

    Kim
    ~ shame i don't to commute any more, since the company was shutdown =(
    ~~ hopefull when i find another job, i can start commuting again =)
    ~~~ suppose i should just ride anyways =D