'pefect commuter'

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
another dream got me thinking wot would be the best

more upright road frame (tourer style)
hub gear?
disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah

this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear

article here

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
> and derailleured running gear
>
> 'article here'
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

If you read closely you'll see that the SoHo has an eccentric BB, so you can
rip off that derailleur and make it an SS or Rohloff it and use sensibly
spoked wheels.

This is also pretty sweet:
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/925.html
Formula hubs (same as IRO and Velocity, awesome bang for buck), fixed/free,
cro-mo, moustache bars and it can take at least 30c tyres under the fenders.

But this is what I want:
http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/bikes/folding_city_bikes/DHHC0146.html
Unfortunately at AUD$1600, and only 300 worldwide, I don't think I'll be
getting one.

flyingdutch said:
another dream got me thinking wot would be the best

more upright road frame (tourer style)
hub gear?
disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah

this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear

article here

My current thinking is a Surly crosscheck frame with hub gears or SingleSpeed. Maybe Avid cable disk brakes but definitely SKS guards.

Andrew wrote:
<snip>

> But this is what I want:
> http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/bikes/folding_city_bikes/DHHC0146.html
> Unfortunately at AUD$1600, and only 300 worldwide, I don't think I'll be
> getting one.

Dahon also make a folding 700C roadster, probably not what you're after
but this is made under Ritchey's design. The Ritchey website
( www.ritcheylogic.com/bab_home.htm ) has several other folders of high
quality, including a steel swiss cross frame that might do.
Only problem is that the dealer for Australia www.dirtworks.com.au
doesn't list any Ritchey frames on their webpages, only the excellent
Ritchey components, Surly track hubs and other stuff. So as to price, no
idea. If you want to pursue.....

flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
>
> more upright road frame (tourer style)
> hub gear?
> disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
>
> this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse
> low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear
>
> 'article here'
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/t
> rek_urban)

Doesn't look too bad but my vote goes to the Redline 925. Is
anyone importing them???

Cheers

BrettM

BrettM said:
Doesn't look too bad but my vote goes to the Redline 925. Is
anyone importing them???

Cheers

BrettM

Soiler has one! well, a home-made jobbie that doesnt have the guards, but same setup and bars. coolio :D

flyingdutch said:
another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
more upright road frame (tourer style)
hub gear?
disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels and derailleured running gear
article here

Check out the Roadrat:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=510

Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?
If I had the dosh I'd fit them for PosePoints(tm) but commuters should be cheap and scrappy, like this:
http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/tr64.aspx#

hippy
- he's back!

hippy said:
Check out the Roadrat:
http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=510

Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?
If I had the dosh I'd fit them for PosePoints(tm) but commuters should be cheap and scrappy, like this:
http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/tr64.aspx#

hippy
- he's back!

meh. if it's gonna be something i ride everyday I wanna good steed.
disc brakes cos i'm sick of replacing rims/pads and collecting roadgrime

hubgears cos Im lazy/maintenance-challenged and carry too much load on occasion

and cos it's another bike :D

hippy wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > another dream got me thinking wot would be the best
> > more upright road frame (tourer style)
> > hub gear?
> > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
> > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
> > and derailleured running gear
> > 'article here'
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

> Check out the Roadrat:
> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=510

this looks pretty cool =)

> Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?
> If I had the dosh I'd fit them for PosePoints(tm) but commuters should
> be cheap and scrappy, like this:
> http://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/tr64.aspx#

scrappy, you recon? the frame alone rolls in at 3000$US, i thought you
said cheap!?!

cheers,

Kim

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:07:50 +1100, hippy wrote:

> Hub-gears and discs for commuting is a bit overkill dontcha reckon?

Nope. I like the discs on my commuter.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)

flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> BrettM Wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't look too bad but my vote goes to the Redline 925.
>> Is anyone importing them???
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> BrettM

> Soiler has one! well, a home-made jobbie that doesnt have
> the guards, but same setup and bars. coolio :D

Arrgh, jealous.

I've got a CRX2 that I'm thinking of mucking around with.
Either flip/flop hub and nitto bar or hub gear with front dyno
hub and trekking bar. I hate the flat bar (now anyway).

No guards because I don't really care if I get wet/muddy since
it never bl**dy rains. Probably need some matt black paint
(powdercoat?) and suitable grey transfers for that stealth look.

Actually it's been a good bike to get back into riding on so I
should probably treat it better.

Cheers

BrettM

"Random Data" wrote...

> I think there are penalties for putting gears on a Surly. Other than a LHT
> anyway.

You bet there is! The beating I took for just putting a bouncy fork on the front for a couple of rides was very severe.

BTW Surly are bring out a 0 gear frame next year - a unicycle!

Parbs

Baka Dasai wrote:
> flyingdutch said:
> > more upright road frame (tourer style)
> > hub gear?
> > disc brakes ,blah, blah, blah
> >
> > this is gettin close, except for the dumbarse low-spoke-count wheels
> > and derailleured running gear
> >
> > 'article here'
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/trek_urban)

> Nah, here's a city commuter bike:

this appeals to my sense of simplicity;
http://www.trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&subcategory_id=3&product_id=172

most importantly, it comes in black.
would prolly make a good fixie!

cheers,

Kim
~ shame i don't to commute any more, since the company was shutdown =(
~~ hopefull when i find another job, i can start commuting again =)
~~~ suppose i should just ride anyways =D