Pegoretti Fitting Advice

nixage

Nov 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm in dire need of some professional (or guru) advice on sizing up a Pegoretti 8:30am for myself. I'm in between two sizes and all the calculators online can't help me at this point. They seem to suggest mostly custom frame sizes. All I can do is select the best possible one for myself from the stock sizes. I've got a long inseam and short upper body so sizing is somewhat of a give and take.

Here's my data in cm (from calculator on competitivecyclist.com):

Inseam: 89
Trunk: 62
Forearm: 35.5
Arm: 68
Thigh: 63.5
Lower Leg: 58
Sternal Notch: 148.5
Total Body Height: 182

I'm looking at either the 56 or the 57cm frame. Notice that the head tube will be extended another 3cm with a Chris King headset.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1854

Any help is really appreciated.

nixage said:
What? No fitting gurus on this site?
Well, not sure what Dario will tell you, but at your size I would reckon the frame with the 57cm TOP TUBE length (regardless of the seat tube measurement) will be the better fit for you ... probably, a 12cm stem.

alfeng said:
Well, not sure what Dario will tell you, but at your size I would reckon the frame with the 57cm TOP TUBE length (regardless of the seat tube measurement) will be the better fit for you ... probably, a 12cm stem.
Seat tube length affects the drop to the handlebars, and therefore makes a difference.

nixage said:
Seat tube length affects the drop to the handlebars, and therefore makes a difference.
FIRST, I guess I should have addressed this earlier ... the 3cm stack height for the Chris King headset is inevitable. ALMOST all threadless headsets will have approximately a 3cm stack height.

Since the Pegoretti is essentially a semi-custom frame (unless you buy it used), then you can probably request a STANDARD head tube instead of the extended headtube which now appears to be standard on Pegoretti's frames.

So, while you are dealing with a 1cm difference [that's 3/8" for those of us who are non-metric ...], it amounts to about TWO of the thinner headset spacers ...

Some handlebars have MORE drop ... Deda comes to mind.

I guess an option is for you is to consider a De Rosa Primato which has a traditionally lugged head tube if you truly want your handlebars lower.

You could consider a Waterford OR other custom frames for the price of the Pegoretti (yes, I realize Pegoretti has beefier stays -- a good thing!) ...

I'm all for smaller frames when debating between two sizes ... but, at your height, ~6 feet tall ... I think that if you want to ride a 56cm frame, then the sponsor had better be paying for it because I think you're going to be an unhappy camper with the 56cm frame.

This begs the question: What size frame are you currently riding?

BTW. I hope you realize that if you get a Pegoretti, you are compelled to using Campagnolo components ... kidding!

alfeng said:
FIRST, I guess I should have addressed this earlier ... the 3cm stack height for the Chris King headset is inevitable. ALMOST all threadless headsets will have approximately a 3cm stack height.

Since the Pegoretti is essentially a semi-custom frame (unless you buy it used), then you can probably request a STANDARD head tube instead of the extended headtube which now appears to be standard on Pegoretti's frames.

So, while you are dealing with a 1cm difference [that's 3/8" for those of us who are non-metric ...], it amounts to about TWO of the thinner headset spacers ...

Some handlebars have MORE drop ... Deda comes to mind.

I guess an option is for you is to consider a De Rosa Primato which has a traditionally lugged head tube if you truly want your handlebars lower.

You could consider a Waterford OR other custom frames for the price of the Pegoretti (yes, I realize Pegoretti has beefier stays -- a good thing!) ...

I'm all for smaller frames when debating between two sizes ... but, at your height, ~6 feet tall ... I think that if you want to ride a 56cm frame, then the sponsor had better be paying for it because I think you're going to be an unhappy camper with the 56cm frame.

This begs the question: What size frame are you currently riding?

BTW. I hope you realize that if you get a Pegoretti, you are compelled to using Campagnolo components ... kidding!
ABSOLUTELY CAMPY ONLY. ;)

Pegoretti's geometry seems a little strange at first but what I think he is really doing is dropping the top tube down a bit. Since head and seat tube are the same angles this in effect keeps the top tube at the same length and makes it look like the head tube is extended.

I'm actually currently riding an old MX Leader with 59cc seat and 57.8cc top tubes. A little more stretched out than I'd like to be. My look KG461 is 57cc for both seat and top tubes and seems to fit better. That's why I was wondering if I couldn't go smaller with the Pegoretti (ie. 56) and still be comfortable. I guess I won't know unless I try. But like you said, if I'm not happy, I'm pretty much srewed and I'm not riding for anyone so I will be.

nixage said:
ABSOLUTELY CAMPY ONLY. ;)

Pegoretti's geometry seems a little strange at first but what I think he is really doing is dropping the top tube down a bit. Since head and seat tube are the same angles this in effect keeps the top tube at the same length and makes it look like the head tube is extended.

I'm actually currently riding an old MX Leader with 59cc seat and 57.8cc top tubes. A little more stretched out than I'd like to be. My look KG461 is 57cc for both seat and top tubes and seems to fit better. That's why I was wondering if I couldn't go smaller with the Pegoretti (ie. 56) and still be comfortable. I guess I won't know unless I try. But like you said, if I'm not happy, I'm pretty much srewed and I'm not riding for anyone so I will be.
Actually, it isn't that the top tube is lowered on the Pegoretti, the top tube is in the traditional, horizontal (as in, parallel to the horizon) position ...

I think that framebuilders like Litespeed have also gone to the extended top tube on some frames to preclude the rider needing more spacers than are safe -- in the past, the additional centimeters in the stack height were accomodated by the locknuts in the threaded headset ...

See if you can "borrow" a shorter stem and put that on your current LOOK frame ... check out how the LOOK frame feels with the shorter stem ... heck, it's worth $20-to-$30 to buy a used stem & bars off of eBay to test the fit ... OR, you can certainly use a longer stem on the 56cm Pegoretti if that is the size you get AND you decide it is too small.

Your MX Leader frame should have a stem that is about 1cm shorter than the one on your LOOK, but it sounds as though it isn't ...

FWIW. I have multiple frame sizes, but on all of them, regardless of the top tube (and, seat tube) length, the NET cockpit fitting is the same -- I set the saddle relative to the crank ... I then adjust the handlebar reach (more, the reach to the back of the "horn" on the brake hoods) to within about a centimeter of the distance from the rear of the saddle (an arbitrary point of reference for me to use) ...

To achieve that end, I ended up buying stem lengths from 90-to-130mm which were subsequently swapped while the bike was mounted in my trainer (and, road miles) to find THE current, optimum fit (for me).

Once you do find your preferred bike fit, the seat & top tube lengths become more a matter of aesthetics -- that is, some people like more seatpost exposure than others -- if one remembers to maintain continuity in the actual fit.

alfeng said:
Actually, it isn't that the top tube is lowered on the Pegoretti, the top tube is in the traditional, horizontal (as in, parallel to the horizon) position ...

I think that framebuilders like Litespeed have also gone to the extended top tube on some frames to preclude the rider needing more spacers than are safe -- in the past, the additional centimeters in the stack height were accomodated by the locknuts in the threaded headset ...

See if you can "borrow" a shorter stem and put that on your current LOOK frame ... check out how the LOOK frame feels with the shorter stem ... heck, it's worth $20-to-$30 to buy a used stem & bars off of eBay to test the fit ... OR, you can certainly use a longer stem on the 56cm Pegoretti if that is the size you get AND you decide it is too small.

Your MX Leader frame should have a stem that is about 1cm shorter than the one on your LOOK, but it sounds as though it isn't ...

FWIW. I have multiple frame sizes, but on all of them, regardless of the top tube (and, seat tube) length, the NET cockpit fitting is the same -- I set the saddle relative to the crank ... I then adjust the handlebar reach (more, the reach to the back of the "horn" on the brake hoods) to within about a centimeter of the distance from the rear of the saddle (an arbitrary point of reference for me to use) ...

To achieve that end, I ended up buying stem lengths from 90-to-130mm which were subsequently swapped while the bike was mounted in my trainer (and, road miles) to find THE current, optimum fit (for me).

Once you do find your preferred bike fit, the seat & top tube lengths become more a matter of aesthetics -- that is, some people like more seatpost exposure than others -- if one remembers to maintain continuity in the actual fit.
You're right about trying different stems and seeing what I prefer. The thing I'm worried about is that I've molded myself to a not so correct fit over the years and I don't want to mimic that, only because it may 'feel' right.

Pegoretti's top tube IS horizontal. What I meant by dropped is both front and rear.