Pelvic Floor Problem

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
Hi,

I have a female friend who has noticed a weakening in the strength of her pelvic floor muscles when she rides often. Does anyone know why this occurrs, and what can be done to remedy it? Pelvic floor exercises only help a a little, and if the riding has ceased.

janiejones said:
Hi,

I have a female friend who has noticed a weakening in the strength of her pelvic floor muscles when she rides often. Does anyone know why this occurrs, and what can be done to remedy it? Pelvic floor exercises only help a a little, and if the riding has ceased.
I suggest she goes to see her doctor and gets a referral to a physiotherapist as I was having some similar problems in some situations and am now a 100% better. The physio told me , amongst other things, not to go to the toilet quite so often - only 5 or 6 times a day - and not to go just in case. Having to practise hanging on helps! Every woman from the age of about 15 should do pelvic floor exercises!

Just reread your post. She may need to check she is doing them properly. My physio sold me a little booklet at cost price called Womens Waterworks - Curing incontinence by Dr Pauline Chiarelli which has just come back into print a few months ago. I find that it is a more comprehensive guide than the handouts! Go online www.womenswaterworks.com