Pendle racks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    A friend is thinking of buying an ex-demo Pendle hang-on rack, which sits on the towball. According
    to Pendle's website the psecific model is not recommended for MPVs (they have a VW Sharon or Ford
    Tracy or some such). Other manufacturers make no distinction. Anyone have any experience of this? My
    guess is that if Pendle say it they probably mean it, but that's a guess.

    Guy
    ===

  2. Rg

    Rg Guest

    Can't comment on the Pendle and MPVs as such BUT after some experience I would recommend against a
    "hang-on" type rack - I used one for a while with 2 bikes on a LR Discovery - the loading process,
    strapping them on, lightboard etc were all a pain, and then the bikes rubbed against each other and
    scratched the paintwork (ended up with lengths of pipe lagging at strategic points). All a bit
    worrying with over a grand in bikes on it!

    Have graduated to a towbar mounted rack with channels (actually a Thule 971, but see also 3 and 4
    bike models) - far more stable, easier to load, no scratching, built in lights etc - without
    question the dog's amongst bike carriers

    May cost a shade more than the Pendle but worth it IMHO

    RG

    > A friend is thinking of buying an ex-demo Pendle hang-on rack, which sits on the towball.
    > According to Pendle's website the psecific model is not recommended for MPVs (they have a VW
    > Sharon or Ford Tracy or some such). Other manufacturers make no distinction. Anyone have any
    > experience of this? My guess is that if Pendle say it they probably mean it, but that's a guess.
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    > notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of
    > downtime between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
    > equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:24:37 +0000 (UTC), "RG" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can't comment on the Pendle and MPVs as such BUT after some experience I would recommend against a
    >"hang-on" type rack

    Same here - I use a four-bike wheel support rack, and have recommended that said friend do the same,
    but it's not my money and she wants to weigh up the options. The Pendle is heavily discounted.

    Guy
    ===