Pendle racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Just Zis Guy

A friend is thinking of buying an ex-demo Pendle hang-on rack, which sits on the towball. According
to Pendle's website the psecific model is not recommended for MPVs (they have a VW Sharon or Ford
Tracy or some such). Other manufacturers make no distinction. Anyone have any experience of this? My
guess is that if Pendle say it they probably mean it, but that's a guess.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Can't comment on the Pendle and MPVs as such BUT after some experience I would recommend against a
"hang-on" type rack - I used one for a while with 2 bikes on a LR Discovery - the loading process,
strapping them on, lightboard etc were all a pain, and then the bikes rubbed against each other and
scratched the paintwork (ended up with lengths of pipe lagging at strategic points). All a bit
worrying with over a grand in bikes on it!

Have graduated to a towbar mounted rack with channels (actually a Thule 971, but see also 3 and 4
bike models) - far more stable, easier to load, no scratching, built in lights etc - without
question the dog's amongst bike carriers

May cost a shade more than the Pendle but worth it IMHO

RG

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A friend is thinking of buying an ex-demo Pendle hang-on rack, which sits on the towball.
> According to Pendle's website the psecific model is not recommended for MPVs (they have a VW
> Sharon or Ford Tracy or some such). Other manufacturers make no distinction. Anyone have any
> experience of this? My guess is that if Pendle say it they probably mean it, but that's a guess.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
> notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of
> downtime between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
> equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:24:37 +0000 (UTC), "RG" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can't comment on the Pendle and MPVs as such BUT after some experience I would recommend against a
>"hang-on" type rack

Same here - I use a four-bike wheel support rack, and have recommended that said friend do the same,
but it's not my money and she wants to weigh up the options. The Pendle is heavily discounted.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.