Penile Numbness...

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by MintID, Jan 4, 2008.

1. MintID

MintID New Member

I'm having issues whenever I'm on my trainer... Never when I'm outside... (it's the same bike, so same position) Any idea what causes this?

Tags:

2. Black_Hat

Black_Hat New Member

I'm 6 feet 2 and struggled with the numb thing for years

as a result my power was lower in my drops due to not riding
    in my drops ....So I was making BIG power in the wind on my tops
    every one loved my wheel in the wind ....

A shop owner asked me to try Selle SMP :
    Endorsed by physicians, the patented SMP saddle features an extra wide channel that eliminates pelvic floor pressure and restores blood flow to surrounding tissue. A carbon fiber infused, Nylon-12 shell features a unique "beak" shape for greater thigh control on the bicycle. Foamed elastomer padding provides support and comforEndorsed by physicians, the patented SMP saddle features an extra wide channel that eliminates pelvic floor pressure and restores blood flow to surrounding tissue. A carbon fiber infused, Nylon-12 shell features a unique "beak" shape for greater thigh control on the bicycle. Foamed elastomer padding provides support and comfort

I said NO that is too expensive so he gave me one if I told every one I asked
    how I liked it .

This winter my 4 - 5 hour training rides 230- 250 watts ave at 20+ mph
    in my drops 90% of the time with ZERO I mean ZERO numbness
    This to me is free power ...my BIG ass 174 lbs is more aero .
    It did take some getting used to ...but consider the alternative

3. MintID

MintID New Member

thanks. but the weird thing is, it's only when i'm indoors... I've never experienced it outdoors... :confused:

4. Itchy-Tichy

Itchy-Tichy New Member

I also used to have this problem when I rode on my indoor trainer with previous saddles. It probably results from not adjusting your seat position as much while on the trainer vs. riding outside, thus causing circulation problems. One solution is to get out of the saddle every 5-10 minutes while riding on the trainer. This worked for me before I switched saddles.

I now have moved to the Specialized Alias saddle. I'm able to ride on the trainer for 1+ hour intervals with no numbness what-so-ever.

5. DesFlurane

DesFlurane New Member

Yay another convert:)
    Bought mine on Ebay for 1/3 the price of a new one.
    My bits have thanked me ever since.
    Went from generic Giant saddle, which gave me 3 days of partial penile numbness after a 70km ride, to an Aliante, to a Toupe, which was close but still no cigar and then Selle SMP Composit, which is perfection.

6. kopride

kopride Member

My problem is chronic epidydimitis and it does occur more frequently on a trainer. The problem on a trainer is that you do not frequently change positions on the bike the same way you do outside. Standing on a climb, red lights, standing sprints, all provide temporary respite from the pressure. On a trainer, it can be as long as 90 minutes of uninterupted groin pressure. In addition to numbness, it can produce prostate injuries and my problem. In addition to the suggested seat and saddle adjustments, and having the problem checked with an MD to rule out a medical cause, make an effort to stand for at least 30 seconds for every 5 minutes of riding, indoors and outdoors. Unless you have a real medical issue, you should see a reduction in this problem, and it might improve your ability to stand while riding.

7. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Even still the get a cut out saddle advice may still be relevant because when you are on the road there are times when you stop peddling and your legs take the weight off a poorly designed saddle. I use a Velo Pronto Z1 it still has a slight wing design so I don't get the sliding off the seat feeling.

8. fleshbroiler

fleshbroiler New Member

I had a really bad problem with numbness from road riding and indoor training. Cured the problem with this, Adamo ISM racing saddle. It's expensive and funny looking but it works better than I could have hoped.

9. Urkiola2

Urkiola2 New Member

The pennis is innervated by the perineal nerve as well as the dorsal nerve of the penis (DNP). It is very common...almost 90% of people reports penis numbness while riding outdors. All the weight is on the perineal nerve since as someone said here you don't change positions on the bike and the nerve gets "pintched". The recommended advise is to stand up on the bike more often , at least every 3-5 minutes as well as to have a 5 minute break off the bike every 20-30 minutes. That could solve many problems while cycling indoors. Also, as commented here, if this happens outdoors you may want to change your saddle to a spacial saddle for numbness and check for prostatitis. Starting at the age of 50 it is recommended to get a PSA every year or 2.

Anyways, your problem indoors happens to most people so try to stand up more often and get off the bike every 20-30 min or even less..depending on the degree of nubmness.

Take care

10. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

I get the same thing on the trainer but not outside, it is because outside your always in and out of the saddle, moving around etc. but on the trainer your pretty much staying in one position longer than you would if you were outside. i wouldnt worry unless its happening outside also. what i do on the trainer is when i get numb is just stop peddaling & stand for abour 20sec, take a drink, then get back on the power, i do this 3x in a each of my 20min intervals, its a nice little break. It has had no effect on my progress, lets face it, its only 1min out of the 20min interval, 3min out of the entire hour. if you gotta have a 1x20 then do a 1x21min including the breaks.

11. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

12. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member