Penis abrasion?

bearcatsandor

Oct 20, 2008
I've been a light-duty cyclist all my life, but recently i've really gotten into it.

Recently we've been having some hot weather. I've just been cycling in my normal clothes and doing about 6 - 10 miles a day. On days when i really push it in the highest gear and am pedaling as hard as i can, i notice that my penis is sore.

It seems red down a stripe from the gland to near the base like a burn. After a few days this fades to invisible, but still itches a bit. At this point i usually have a small wound that looks like healed over scab, as if a sebaceous gland had been injured, and this disappears in a day or two.

The location of all this is along the top of my penis where the main seam of my jeans would rub. It's always in the same spot too, and is worse if the ride is longer.

This seems to indicate that it's not an STI or something, but a result of my wearing jeans and boxers while riding (there is no STI that fits this description that i can find).

Does any of that follow?

I really, cant afford to pay $100 on cycling pants (cold weather (5 F) is right around the corner here.

What should i do?

Bearcat

Dude.

If your pecker is getting all chaffed up and riding is akin to rubbing yourself raw with sandpaper, stop being a cheap wad and go down to a couple of local bike stores and see what's on sale...

Shorts. $19.
Shorts - Bellwether Strada Bib Short

Enjoy...

... and please don't think about me when you're riding down the road and thinking 'wow, my pecker feels really good now...' Don't. Please.

Three things:
  1. Are you sure you're not just washing it too fast?
  2. You're not supposed to sit on it.
  3. Lonely?

The problem with cycling in normal clothes is that they don't move with you. Instead they tend to stay in place, letting your bits underneath move, therein setting up the dreaded fabric/skin friction. Bike shorts are the answer. Iffin' you don't feel comfortable wearing lycra shorts, you can pick up mountain biking baggies that have a chamois and lycra-like material underneath.

To emphasize things: you do not want sores and scabs where your current problem is. Imagine this scenario: your gristle is wounded and adorned with a scab or two. While you're in that state, you happen upon Mila Jovovich, Zooey Deschanel, and Natalie Portman, all of 'em nekid and engaged in a torrid and wet lesbian engagement. Things expand, scabs stretch then crack open........owwwwwww! Just like that, what should have been the finest moment in your life--or anyone's for that matter--is ruined and scarred by tortuous groinal pain. At least that's what 9 out of 10 doctors say.

Alienator, I'll look into some shorts too, but right now i'm concerned about warmth too. It's not so much that i'm a cheapskate swampy1970, it's that money *is* an issue. While that bib might work it won't keep me very warm.

what i'm wondering is if sweat pants or longjohns under regular pants might work, or if i just need to wear dockers or something. If i had the money i'd get a chamise and a pair of Royal Attack pants or something.

I wonder if a chemise under jeans might be all i need? Or would that still create friction? 2007 SixSixOne Underliner Short - Competitive Cyclist Something like that, but not as expensive.

bearcatsandor said:
Alienator, I'll look into some shorts too, but right now i'm concerned about warmth too. It's not so much that i'm a cheapskate swampy1970, it's that money *is* an issue. While that bib might work it won't keep me very warm.

what i'm wondering is if sweat pants or longjohns under regular pants might work, or if i just need to wear dockers or something. If i had the money i'd get a chamise and a pair of Royal Attack pants or something.

I wonder if a chemise under jeans might be all i need? Or would that still create friction? 2007 SixSixOne Underliner Short - Competitive Cyclist Something like that, but not as expensive.

But the bib will keep you very comfy and you could wear them under sweat pants. The Underliner shorts would work too.

The issue is that most normal clothing moves too much and 'clumps'. Seams in pants/shorts tend to be in places that are not the 'best' for cycling. Not sure why you're getting abrasions though as I've ridden many a mile in jeans before without ill effect...

swampy1970 said:
But the bib will keep you very comfy and you could wear them under sweat pants. The Underliner shorts would work too.

The issue is that most normal clothing moves too much and 'clumps'. Seams in pants/shorts tend to be in places that are not the 'best' for cycling. Not sure why you're getting abrasions though as I've ridden many a mile in jeans before without ill effect...

Do you retract your penis when riding?

"many a mile" is just fine. My daily work commute of about 3 miles causes me no pain no matter how many times i do it. It's when i ride 10 miles or more at an average of 16 mph in my highest gear all the way there and back (to build up my legs) that i get into trouble.

Thanks a lot Swampy! Now i've had "Detachable Penis" by King Missle stuck in my head albeit with the lyrics slightly altered. :") Also, i'm male. I doubt the scene of lesbians would pose a problem for my pain threshold. Lesbians want nothing to do with me sexually :"P

As has already been stated, you can wear the cycling shorts/tights/bibs under your layers of warm clothes.

Chaffing after 6-10 miles is pretty crazy. Even when I was brand new and before I really got my "butt" saddle ready I went 20+ miles before I even had the slightest chaffing (never in that personal of an area though just groin)..but I also started out by riding in padded spandex too and chamis cream. Now as I have gotten more into it this year and about 1000 miles on my bike i just use cream on rides in excess of 30+..... in anycase chamis cream and some good shorts should help you...if you're to self concious to wear tight spandex shorts they sell mountain bike shorts that have spandex and padding in them but the outside looks like a pair of baggy shorts.

PS
Don't wear underwear under the spandex it defeats the whole purpose!!