Pennine Cycle Way...Any Experience?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan Hill, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Bryan Hill

    Bryan Hill Guest

    Greetings All

    The recent glorious weather has me dreaming of long-ish distance tours. I've heard of the Pennine
    Cycle Way and am wondering if anyone in the group has had experience with the route.

    Would welcome any comments from those who have ridden it, and how it might compare to the C2C route
    from Cumbria to the North Sea.

    Any takers on giving it a go this spring/summer?

    Cheers Bryan Hill, Leicestershire

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Bryan Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greetings All
    >
    > The recent glorious weather has me dreaming of long-ish distance tours. I've heard of the Pennine
    > Cycle Way and am wondering if anyone in the group has had experience with the route.
    >
    > Would welcome any comments from those who have ridden it, and how it might compare to the C2C
    > route from Cumbria to the North Sea.

    I've done the bits of it from the Humber to the North Sea as it's local;

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page421.htm

    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page438.htm

    Simom Mason

  3. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Bryan Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings All
    >
    > The recent glorious weather has me dreaming of long-ish distance tours. I've heard of the Pennine
    > Cycle Way and am wondering if anyone in the group has had experience with the route.
    >
    > Would welcome any comments from those who have ridden it, and how it might compare to the C2C
    > route from Cumbria to the North Sea.
    >
    > Any takers on giving it a go this spring/summer?
    >
    > Cheers Bryan Hill, Leicestershire

    There is an article on The Guardian's website - it's somewhere in the Travel area and was written by
    Julie Welch, sometime in the last few months ... and I assume that you know that Sustrans has a
    fully detailed map - Pennine Cycleway North (From either Appleby or Penrith to Berwick)

    The general view is that it's even better than the C2C -and that's the word from David Gray, the
    Sustrans guy who developed the C2C

    Finally, take a look at http://www.penninecycleway-north.co.uk/ which follows the same style as the
    great C2C website

    RG

    > Bryan Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Greetings All
    > >
    > > The recent glorious weather has me dreaming of long-ish distance tours. I've heard of the
    > > Pennine Cycle Way and am wondering if anyone in the group has had experience with the route.
    > >
    > > Would welcome any comments from those who have ridden it, and how it might compare to the C2C
    > > route from Cumbria to the North Sea.

    See below, what route are you talking about exactly?

    If you are talking about the Appleby to Berwick, well, John Grimshaw reckons its better than the C2C
    (they overlap a bit around the Hartside pass) but then he might say that. I will probably do the
    North Pennine Cycleway this autumn. I'm toying with the idea of then doing the southern bit of Coast
    and Castles to get back to Newcastle.

    > I've done the bits of it from the Humber to the North Sea as it's local;

    Bits of what? I assume, Simon, you are talking about a trans-pennine cycle way?

    The (Sustrans) Pennine Cycleway will run from Derby to Berwick along the Pennines. At the present
    time only the northern half is fully open, that's from Appleby (or Penrith) to Berwick.

    Coli

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > There is an article on The Guardian's website - it's somewhere in the
    Travel
    > area and was written by Julie Welch, sometime in the last few months ...
    and
    > I assume that you know that Sustrans has a fully detailed map - Pennine Cycleway North (From
    > either Appleby or Penrith to Berwick)
    >
    > The general view is that it's even better than the C2C -and that's the
    word
    > from David Gray, the Sustrans guy who developed the C2C
    >
    > Finally, take a look at http://www.penninecycleway-north.co.uk/ which follows the same style as
    > the great C2C website

    Look at the links page of this site -- it points at the Grauniad article & other useful stuff.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > Bits of what? I assume, Simon, you are talking about a trans-pennine cycle way?

    Oh yeah. On further inspection the one I ride http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/tptemap.html is
    the "Trans Pennine Trail" which goes from Liverpool to Hull . TheTrans Pennine cycle way must be
    something else.

  7. Malk Wheeler

    Malk Wheeler Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>There is an article on The Guardian's website - it's somewhere in the
    >
    > Travel
    >
    >>area and was written by Julie Welch, sometime in the last few months ...
    >
    > and
    >
    >>I assume that you know that Sustrans has a fully detailed map - Pennine Cycleway North (From
    >>either Appleby or Penrith to Berwick)
    >>
    >>The general view is that it's even better than the C2C -and that's the
    >
    > word
    >
    >>from David Gray, the Sustrans guy who developed the C2C
    >>
    >>Finally, take a look at http://www.penninecycleway-north.co.uk/ which follows the same style as
    >>the great C2C website
    >

    > Look at the links page of this site -- it points at the Grauniad article & other useful stuff.

    I have cycled part of the Pennine cycleway from Berwick to Haltwhistle which I did in one day. The
    http://www.penninecycleway-north.co.uk/ website is an accurate account of the route though it wasn't
    up when I did it in October. The part I did is a good mix of off road and country lanes. None of the
    off road is too demanding. The scenery is wonderful,pleanty of interesting castles etc and the route
    is very well signposted though the sustrans map is essential. I enjoyed every minute of it and look
    forward to doing the other half. Malk

  8. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Bryan Hill, Leicestershire

    I did the sustrans derby to york route .Avoid Sheffield which takes ages to cycle through on the
    route as it was then.And I wouldn't bother with going through nottingham or Derby
    either.Otherwise very pleasant indeed. I was glad to have fat(2") tyres on the off road bits.
    some is deep gravel or mud.

    TerryJ